2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

So maybe the way they handle this is, first round is best of three, but the division winner starts the series up 1-0, so they have to win only one on the field,

I'd guess there would be a lot of resistance to doing a handicapped series, but in reality it makes a lot of sense. The conventional reward for the top teams in any playoff would be a bye, but in baseball extended time off is about the worst thing that you can do to team. Thus the handicapped series makes a lot more sense, but I still doubt that would change minds among the great unwashed, who will see it as strange and 'unfair.'

Edited by gehringer_2

16 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I'd guess there would be a lot of resistance to doing a handicapped series, but in reality it makes a lot of sense. The conventional reward for the top teams in any playoff would be a bye, but in baseball extended time off is about the worst thing that you can do to team. Thus the handicapped series makes a lot more sense, but I still doubt that would change minds among the great unwashed, who will see it as strange and 'unfair.'

And, once they hear that it’s already being done in Korea, “foreign”.

12 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I saw that Joe West is retiring after this year, I wonder if this means that we may be getting robo umps sooner rather than later and that's why he is leaving? I know he's getting up in age so it's perfectly reasonable for him to want to leave regardless but he strikes me as one of those umps that would hate to not be in total control and have to be at the command of an electronic device so it has be wondering. 

I was listening on MLB on SiriusXM yesterday and the hosts' view was that Joe West shouldn't be behind the plate for any more games this year. They say his ball-strike correct rate is down around 90%, while others are in the upper 90s.

1 hour ago, casimir said:

How about 2 leagues with 2 divisions and 8 teams in each division?

I wouldn’t mind this at all, but I believe Baseball would never do this because it both reduces the number of division races, and it forces seventh- and eighth-place teams to try to market themselves late in the season. I get that a 55-85 team would have a bad time marketing itself in September under any circumstance, but it would still be substantially worse if they had to do so as an seventh-place team than as a third-place team. 

Edited by chasfh

4 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I wouldn’t mind this at all, but I believe Baseball would never do this because both it reduces the number of division races, and it forces seventh- and eighth-place teams to try to market themselves late in the season. I get that a 55-85 team would have a bad time marketing itself in September under any circumstance, but it would still be substantially worse if they had to do so as an seventh-place team than as a third-place team. 

Yeah - there is a definite psychology to it. I remember the pre-division days and having 6 or even 7 teams between your team and the top just feels way more depressing than being in 4th or 5th place even with the same poor winning percentage.

Edited by gehringer_2

I was thinking if the Rays moved to Nashville before they had a stadium and they played in the Sounds stadium (until a new one is built), they probably wouldn't lose any attendance overall.   I can't see the Rays and Marlins continuing much longer where they are at.  The issue with the Marlins is their stadium is still kind of new and it would be a total embarrassment to leave it vacant after just 10 years.   I don't know where they A's might end up, but man that would suck for Oakland to lose a 3rd team.  At least the Warriors are still close.  

There has been some talk of the A’s looking at Nashville. I have no idea how much substance there is to it. I do know that things are moving very slow in addressing their situation. We attended a game in Oakland in 2019. They are in dire need of an upgrade, wherever that is. Nashville is getting frequent mention as a relocation spot. I’d be happy to see the A’s or Rays land there.

That Miami built a new ballpark with a pre-existing interest in the team registering around 0% is ridiculous. 

Other than the minor league complexes and spring training, I’d like to see MLB get out of Florida. 

Just spit balling . . . . .

American League

East – TB, BOS, NYY, BAL

North – TOR, CLE, DET, CWS

South – KC, TEX, HOU, San Antonio/Las Vegas

West – MIN, OAK, LAA, SEA

National League

East – PHI, NYM, WAS, Montreal

North – STL, MIL, CC, COL

South – MIA, CIN, PIT, ATL

West – SF, LAD, SD, ARZ

18 games vs each division rival; 8 games vs every other team in league; 4 interleague games vs each team, one division, 4-year rotation (no natural rivals every year)

Sample post-season using this year’s records:

(no wild card, best record is home, all are 7 game series)

TB vs SEA; HOU vs CWS; PHI vs SF; ATL vs MIL (BOS, NYY, LAD, STL don't make it - hahaha)

22 minutes ago, 1776 said:

There has been some talk of the A’s looking at Nashville. I have no idea how much substance there is to it. I do know that things are moving very slow in addressing their situation. We attended a game in Oakland in 2019. They are in dire need of an upgrade, wherever that is. Nashville is getting frequent mention as a relocation spot. I’d be happy to see the A’s or Rays land there.

That Miami built a new ballpark with a pre-existing interest in the team registering around 0% is ridiculous. 

Other than the minor league complexes and spring training, I’d like to see MLB get out of Florida. 

sustains comfortably three NFL franchises...can't seem to work two MLB franchises with massive baseball-loving Caribbean population.  

i always theorized (though it was mostly my speculation) that the Florida MLB teams never gained much traction because many people in FL had allegiance to whatever their favorite spring training team was, not some johnny-come-lately expansion team.  it would make sense that this would fade as the marlins and (devil) rays gain seniority but that hasn't impacted their attendance 

4 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Tampa just needs a stadium like Houston's 

Miami...I just don't know what to make of their problems.   Hapless. 

Probably ownership. You have an ownership that randomly splurges and then purges the next season. They are then forced to trade their good young players like Cabrera when they become costly. It's got to be a frustrating team to follow. 

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

Probably ownership. You have an ownership that randomly splurges and then purges the next season. They are then forced to trade their good young players like Cabrera when they become costly. It's got to be a frustrating team to follow. 

The resilience of the Detroit Lions and Cleveland Browns fanbases is an argument that they just need to move all these ailing franchises to the rust belt.  

In Tampa, it could be the crappy stadium that's hard to get to, but what a shame that they have a perpetual contender and rank at or near the bottom in attendance and honestly, the games where they draw best are snowbirds rooting for the road teams, especially the Yankees, Red Sox and Tigers.   

Miami?  There just doesn't seem to be a real connection there.   Just a few years in the league they won the World Series and then immediately dismantled the team and that probably soured a lot of people.   The second time they won it they did the same thing but a little bit slower.   So no wonder they haven't gotten a grasp, the fans get a favorite player and then they get rid of the player.     Plus with that stadium,  I think there were some legal issues with Loria and how the stadium was paid for that pissed people off.   Ozzie Guillen complimented Fidel Castro and that will turn some of that fanbase against you forever in that town.    Plus Miami is kind of strange place compared to most American cities and things that work in other towns don't always work there.    And the Marlins ain't working and probably wont.   Time to move on. 

1 minute ago, Motor City Sonics said:

In Tampa, it could be the crappy stadium that's hard to get to, but what a shame that they have a perpetual contender and rank at or near the bottom in attendance and honestly, the games where they draw best are snowbirds rooting for the road teams, especially the Yankees, Red Sox and Tigers.   

Miami?  There just doesn't seem to be a real connection there.   Just a few years in the league they won the World Series and then immediately dismantled the team and that probably soured a lot of people.   The second time they won it they did the same thing but a little bit slower.   So no wonder they haven't gotten a grasp, the fans get a favorite player and then they get rid of the player.     Plus with that stadium,  I think there were some legal issues with Loria and how the stadium was paid for that pissed people off.   Ozzie Guillen complimented Fidel Castro and that will turn some of that fanbase against you forever in that town.    Plus Miami is kind of strange place compared to most American cities and things that work in other towns don't always work there.    And the Marlins ain't working and probably wont.   Time to move on. 

The Marlins stadium was basically 100% publicly financed with the promise the Marlins would spend on players. They loaded up that year when they signed the likes of Jose Reyes, Mark Buehrle, and made a run at Pujols and then got rid of everybody after a year after they got their new stadium. That had to of made a lot of fans mad. 

2 hours ago, lordstanley said:

I was listening on MLB on SiriusXM yesterday and the hosts' view was that Joe West shouldn't be behind the plate for any more games this year. They say his ball-strike correct rate is down around 90%, while others are in the upper 90s.

Last game I watched with West behind the plate he was terrible. It would of been an improvement if he was 90% correct.  I think Joe is making a good decision and Angel Hernandez should follow him out the door.

1 hour ago, davidsb623 said:

Just spit balling . . . . .

American League

East – TB, BOS, NYY, BAL

North – TOR, CLE, DET, CWS

South – KC, TEX, HOU, San Antonio/Las Vegas

West – MIN, OAK, LAA, SEA

National League

East – PHI, NYM, WAS, Montreal

North – STL, MIL, CC, COL

South – MIA, CIN, PIT, ATL

West – SF, LAD, SD, ARZ

18 games vs each division rival; 8 games vs every other team in league; 4 interleague games vs each team, one division, 4-year rotation (no natural rivals every year)

Sample post-season using this year’s records:

(no wild card, best record is home, all are 7 game series)

TB vs SEA; HOU vs CWS; PHI vs SF; ATL vs MIL (BOS, NYY, LAD, STL don't make it - hahaha)

I think Nashville would be a frontrunner for an expansion team.  In that case i would move Toronto to the east, Rays to the south and Nashville in the north.

39 minutes ago, Archie said:

Last game I watched with West behind the plate he was terrible. It would of been an improvement if he was 90% correct.  I think Joe is making a good decision and Angel Hernandez should follow him out the door.

I know Angel Hernandez lost his ridiculous lawsuit  (he claimed he wasn't getting playoff games because he's Cuban).  I think he filed the suit so he couldn't get fired (it would make baseball look vindictive).    It worked.  He's not going anywhere.