2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

1 hour ago, casimir said:

Tiger OF Germany Schaefer.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Germany_Schaefer

Upon further review, it was a double steal, not a hit and run.  But the dude was a piece of work.

Ah you found it!  Yeah, a double steal makes more sense.  

He is also famous for other antics such as coming to the plate with a raincoat during a steady rain, or wearing a large fake mustache while coming to bat, two stunts that got him ejected.

Sounds like he would've been a fun player to watch.

On 4/7/2022 at 7:05 AM, casimir said:

Is it really going to move the needle on subscriptions?  I'm not buying a subscription for two games.  My guess is that I'm not alone.

we have peacock for the english league games and the rugby.  cant miss my six nations.

the more games we move to streaming the better.  the picture is much better and the you can watch it again without bothering to record it.

its much better than cable/satellite tv.

espn+ for hockey is awesome.  the nfl on amazon will be too once it gets there.

8 hours ago, buddha said:

the more games we move to streaming the better.  the picture is much better and the you can watch it again without bothering to record it.

its much better than cable/satellite tv.

espn+ for hockey is awesome.  the nfl on amazon will be too once it gets there.

How many different $ub$cription$ will be needed to watch games?  That's where this is headed.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, buddha said:

its much better than cable/satellite tv.ccespn+ for hockey is awesome.  the nfl on amazon will be too once it gets there.

except that the newer version of 'recording' something in the cloud DVR usually is that they only mark an access right on their server for you for 'x' days, so it's temporary and you never own it.  Nothing is actually recorded, you get is is an on permission and link to an item in their library, for as long at that library is there or they will honor the link. For instance for DirectTV that is now 90 days. That also means if you change services your library is gone.  Of course that part has always been true on a service like Amazon Prime, even if it's a viewing you paid for.

Now I suppose back in the day when I had a comcast box with a harddrive in it, my library was gone if I changed services also because the box went back, but with a very little initiative I could take the HD out of the box, hang if off my computer and record off 'my' programming, then put it back together before I turned in the cable box.

In either case if you want something for a permanent home library you still have to DVR it to your own external recorder, for which you may need an de-encrypting HDMI splitter, etc. They're trying to insure that nothing is simple.... 

Edited by gehringer_2

• 2 months later...
On 4/4/2022 at 10:55 PM, chasfh said:

This is great especially for the first half of the season, although I’m not sure what happens after...I do like that Meadows is only 26, so there’s a decent chance he could be 2019 Austin rather than 2021 Austin...I do agree that trading from depth to get a potential-impact controllable player is a very different move... 😏

22 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

“Great for the first half of the season, not sure what happens after” is not exactly a ringing endorsement. After that, I was just trying to find ways to put a happy face on it (although “a very different move” doesn’t read as much an endorsement, either.

I did not like the move and expressed on multiple occasions that I was concerned we were giving too much away and he would have an All-Star career elsewhere.

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/16/2021 at 9:39 AM, bobrob2004 said:

I'm not advocating a Freddie Freeman type signing, but a utility player or a minor league signing that has the ability to play 1B (as well as other positions for flexibility).  They tried Renato Nunez last year and it didn't work out.  Why not someone like Brad Miller for about 3-4 million?  He can play 1B until Tork is ready to take over mid-season and Miller becomes a utility player.  If he is too expensive, try to get Marwin Gonzalez or Asdrubal Cabrera on a minor league deal and see how they do in ST.  

I just think it's a terrible idea to have Schoop keep moving back and forth from 2B to 1B, and I want more depth in case Tork doesn't work out.  

I want to revisit this.  Brad Miller signed with the Rangers for 2 years/$10 million and isn't hitting any better than Torkelson. 

Gonzalez signed a minor league deal with the Yanks and has played 55 ML games (1 at 1B) with production better than Tork.

Cabrera didn't sign with anyone. 

I do want to point out that Tork wasn't ready and I really wish they would've signed someone capable of playing 1B, but at least they didn't move Schoop back there.