2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

2 hours ago, mtutiger said:

I'd love for them to make another deal, but one imagines that the pitching market is pretty tight right now... as much as this sucks for the Tigers, almost every team is worried about pitching depth at the moment 

I think every team is always worried about pitching depth!  However, it's probably a bigger problem this year with the short spring training.  

2 hours ago, casimir said:

Isn't there some silly rule about no transactions between MLB & the minors at the beginning of this season to prevent constant shuffling back & forth?  I thought I heard something along those lines, but it could just be the voices in my head.

they are limiting the number of call-ups/send-downs per player to 5 for the season to try to stop teams of doing 10 man rotations, but that's a pretty soft limit, you can still do a lot of cycling through your staff on 5 call-ups.

I haven't heard about other restrictions.

The folks at NBC are going to wonder why Peacock Subs went through the roof over the summer, hopefully somebody will smarten them up to the fact that it was all due to the Tigers. They'll be the biggest thing for NBC since Jerry, George, Elaine and Kramer.

Edited by RandyMarsh

On 4/5/2022 at 4:00 PM, chasfh said:

Fangraphs' Ben Clemens finally posted his take on last night's trade. Here's the elevator pitch:

I started out thinking this trade was a layup for the Tigers. I pretty quickly decided it was a layup for the Rays; I know our prospect rankings don’t reflect it, but I think Paredes is a more valuable player than Meadows straight up. But in the end, as I’m wont to do, I understand the Tigers’ motivation in making the trade, even if I think they gave up more than is optimal.

Ben Clemens doesn't seem to critique or doubt the idea that Meadows is a better fit for the Tigers in the next couple of years than Paredes. 

His analysis seems to speak primarily to Rays' doubters by assuring them that Paredes is a better fit for the Rays than they might think and better for the Rays than Meadows will probably be from an overall performance/cost/roster construction standpoint.  Whatever.

Paredes might turn out to be a more productive and more valuable player than Meadows next year.  Or even this year.  And Nicky Lopez might wind up having a higher WAR this year and next year than Bo Bichette.  But I wouldn't trade Bo Bichette for Nicky Lopez if I were the Blue Jays.

And there is no doubt that I strongly believe that we need a guy of Meadows' caliber pulling down 600 PAs in a not-otherwise-impressive Tigers OF/DH/LHH-power situation organizationally, even after Riley comes back strong, and especially after Grossman likely departs after this year. 

Our IF situation is actually fine right now.  It would have been nice to have a guy like Paredes around after Schoop's contract runs out after 2023 (or possibly 2022 if he exercises his option)...however, long-term, the minors might produce a decent 2Bman by 2024 from Kriedler, Clemens, or Workman.

I think Paredes has a good chance to become a good Rays player, especially if he successfully overcomes his weight issues, finds playing time, develop a consistent power stroke, etc....but I feel more confident about what Meadows will do for us than I did about what Parades would have done for us over the next couple of years.

1 hour ago, Dan Gilmore said:

Meadows splits warrant some time off against lefties imo, maybe not 600 ABs.

Vs. Spawn-Of-Satan Lefties   (2021 stats)
Haase LF    .283/.315
Reyes CF    .323/.353

Vs. Good and Decent Righties   (Also 2021 stats)
Meadows LF      .251/.336
Baddoo CF         .273/.346

Meadows is still going to get over 400 PA, especially in our division

Edited by Motor City Sonics

12 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

The folks at NBC are going to wonder why Peacock Subs went through the roof over the summer, hopefully somebody will smarten them up to the fact that it was all due to the Tigers. They'll be the biggest thing for NBC since Jerry, George, Elaine and Kramer.

Is it really going to move the needle on subscriptions?  I'm not buying a subscription for two games.  My guess is that I'm not alone.

9 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

He'll probably get over 500.  

Yeah, I would be surprised to see them strictly platoon him (400 or fewer PAs).  Maybe he will be rested against tougher LHP but he wont be platooned.

If Haase *and* Reyes are both raking, obviously that will bleed some PAs from Meadows.   

He probably wont get 600 PAs, but he has had over 500 in both of his last two full seasons, and the Rays had guys to platoon him with. 

My guess is that the Tigers are invested in trying to get more-or-less full-time production from Meadows.

So far he's had 2 good seasons out of 4 against LHP, though last year he was brutal in a typically small sample.  He seems just as likely to have a decent or good small sample vs. LHP in 2022 as not, we will see.

I saw that the Prodigal Son Alex Avila is working for MLB Network as an analyst now, I wonder if he would ever consider coming home and working for the Tigers? I know it's not going to happen this year but perhaps next year? Call me an ageist but I would like to get an analyst in the booth that hasn't been retired since the Clinton administration. Also nice to get a guy who has ties to the most recent good Tigers teams. 

Edited by RandyMarsh
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Dan Gilmore said:

Meadows splits warrant some time off against lefties imo, maybe not 600 ABs.

We’ll for sure try him against lefties, and if he hits them well he’ll get his 600 at bats. If he doesn’t hit them well, we’ll either platoon him, or he’ll still get his 600 at bats.

1 hour ago, casimir said:

Is it really going to move the needle on subscriptions?  I'm not buying a subscription for two games.  My guess is that I'm not alone.

Exclusive streaming games on Amazon Prime and Apple TV+, too.

What a time to be a fan.

6 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Has anyone used the @free tv” offer thru TMobile for MLB.TV.

I did see Tuesday’s game. Was wondering whether it was good all season 

I've used it for the last few years.  It's good for the whole season.  *Blackout restrictions apply.  

• Like 2