2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

I know someone who worked for a news organization who said they wanted controversial opinons or a controversial writing style to get clicks. Maybe that is not the norm, but it certainly seems like some of the big ones say outrageous things to get clicks/viewers/readers.  

It's not I've worked in big and small and have never heard seen or told someoen to give an opinion for clicks. They should do that on their own.

By the way, at the Mud Hens game there were two things I instantly noticed.   The bases are bigger and it seems like a lot bigger.  Extremely noticeable and I really did notice that 2nd base is moved closer to the plate.   It looks strange, it's not centered.     And that came in handy today.    Kody Clemens was on first when Daz Cameron hit one to the wall and he scored at the plate on a very very close play (snuck his hand under the catcher's glove........if the base was in the former position, he's out.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

The national media likes it. I heard a talking head on TV saying not to fall asleep on the Tigers. Called them an up and coming team.

the Yankee broadcast was pretty complimentary to the Tigers prospects. Didn't hurt that Flaherty played for the Tigers for while and apparently has positive memories about it.

I was a bit more positive in my opinion of Paredes than most here, but not in any big way. Just thought he had some skills and was young enough to develop into a solid player. That said, he hadn’t done much when with the big club and other players were catching up with him as mid tier prospects. 

Meadows should be more valuable in the short term, especially to the Tigers, Paredes may be more valuable in the long run, going forward. But I doubt by much, if at all. If the Rays hit on the traded draft pick, they win the deal. I am fine with taking that chance. 

Poor Al trying his damnedest to change the narrative on Chris, signing off on a guy making 4 million this year and under control for 3 more isn't quite the same as his Dad signing off on a guy making 15 and due for a 160 million extension in Cabrera but I suppose you got to credit Avila for still trying to make his boss look better. 

This trade matched the GM's preferences. Al prefers power and the Rays OBP and draft pick accumulation. If Meadows can hold his own in the field this is a great move for Detroit. Left handed power is valuable even as a DH which is where he will eventually play. 

As for Issac I always wondered why someone with such a good understanding of the strike zone never hit better than he did. It seems that he was always thinking walk first. Like he could recognize pitches out of the zone but could not recognize pitches to hit. 

The best part is we are adding to win now ! Thank goodness for that !

6 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I will say one of the bummers of the trade is not being able to type E-SOCK! whenever Paredes did something good in the Gameday threads again. It wasn't as fun as typing "Jacking Dongs" when JD would homer but it was still fun.  

I doubt you would have had that chance very often even without the trade. 

2 minutes ago, buddha said:

keith law has us 74-88 and last place in the division.

All the projections have the Tigers doing poorly.  BP has them at 70 wins, FanGraphs 77.  It's hard to project young players with little track record.  I am predicting 83 wins, but that is being optimistic about guys like Torkelson, Mize and Skubal.  

I think of it like a band.... right now we're in the good times.  We're seeing them when they are playing small venues that hold a few hundred people and it cost $15 to get in.   The season won't be bad.  They'll win just about as much as they'll lose and we'll see kids progress and root for their individual success. This is the last time it will be pressure free fun.  

NExt year the band will have to work to sell tickets at larger ampitheaters rather than small halls.

29 minutes ago, oblong said:

I don't think there's really much of a difference in a team that wins 74-83 games.  The team that wins 74 could just as easily have won 83.

And the Tigers are still just a roster that seems hard to project. If you get a better result than expected out of the young kids, its not hard to see this team finishing above .500 at all.

I suspect the models (and Law) aren't expecting a better outcome for the kids...and that's fine, they are all relying mostly on the data to inform their views.

In a way tho, it's fun that the Tigers (along with the Twins and Mariners and a couple of others) are interjecting some unpredictability into these preseason projections. Most of the time they seem cookie cutter and, at the postseason level, like moving deck chairs around the Titanic

Edited by mtutiger

3 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I have not seen much talk on this pretty interesting.

I belong to a couple of baseball facebook pages that  is full of old timers who resent the modern game and this is the knid of thing that makes them go ape shit.

I love it for that alone.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I don’t think 74 wins will be last place in this division.

Just out of curiousity, who would you think would fall lower? 

I'd be tempted to say the Guardians, but the quality starting pitching makes it difficult to get them too far below .500

10 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I have not seen much talk on this pretty interesting.

I believe they mentioned on the telecast Monday that Tucker Barnhart wasn't a fan so the Tigers may be steering clear of this system at the start.

I find it interesting personally