2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

On the surface it looks like a steal but wait it's..oh nooo..Tampa Bay and they will probably get the most out of Isaac and make a good draft pick. Having said that knowing Hinch signed off I feel better. Not sure Meadows will handle Left field in Comerica real well but his power and clutch hitting is solid. Best of all we are adding to win!

Could this be our 1984 version of the Willie Hernandez trade also made at the close of spring training in 1984 ? 

• Like 1

Great trade. I do expect Paredes will do well with TB, but it looked like it just wasn't going to work with him here in this specific situation with our org for one reason or another. This makes me more confident in the future- these are the types of deals (acquiring league average players on cheap deals) that we'll need to do more of a few seasons from now when Mize, Skubal, Tork, Greene, etc. start getting much more expensive.

An underrated aspect of this is that it opens the door to turn Cabrera into a platoon DH who only hits vs LHP a few months from now when Greene returns.

48 minutes ago, Scottwood said:

Great trade. I do expect Paredes will do well with TB, but it looked like it just wasn't going to work with him here in this specific situation with our org for one reason or another. This makes me more confident in the future- these are the types of deals (acquiring league average players on cheap deals) that we'll need to do more of a few seasons from now when Mize, Skubal, Tork, Greene, etc. start getting much more expensive.

An underrated aspect of this is that it opens the door to turn Cabrera into a platoon DH who only hits vs LHP a few months from now when Greene returns.

Oddly, Cabrera has never had much of a platoon split. Didn't have any last season - well all of 4pts OPS better against RHP. I guess when he is inside outing most pitches that must negate that breaking ball moving away against him.

Also sort of funny that despite the tiny sample size, in his 25 ST ABs he is sitting almost exactly where he finished last season - a 700 OPS and about a 20% K rate. 

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Don't know if this will be the order but discounting that it looks a helluva lot better. Since 2020 was the COVID year where opening day wasn't till the end of July this really is only a 20 month difference and not the full 2 years too. 

and three of the 1st 5 starts in 2020 were Matt Boyd, Ivan Nova, and Roni Garcia

4 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

article about Meadow increase in FB rate and attendant decrease in BaBIP. If there is park that might persuade him to stop trying to hit the ball in the air as much it should be COPA.

https://www.draysbay.com/2022/1/26/22877187/austin-meadows-has-been-trying-to-hit-the-catwalks

I hope he keeps hitting flyballs at a strong clip.

• Like 1

If I had to guess from the Rays standpoint... Paredes has always been an analytical darling and he's still very young. They probably view Meadows as a DH, particularly with their options in the OF. He'll also be getting more expensive the next few years and they have a tight budget.  It is a relatively valuable pick, too.

Edited by Scottwood

5 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Don't know if this will be the order but discounting that it looks a helluva lot better. Since 2020 was the COVID year where opening day wasn't till the end of July this really is only a 20 month difference and not the full 2 years too. 

That was 2019, but Hasty has never been one for accuracy or facts.

6 minutes ago, Scottwood said:

If I had to guess from the Rays standpoint... Paredes has always been an analytical darling and he's still very young. They probably view Meadows as a DH, particularly with their options in the OF. He'll also be getting more expensive the next few years and they have a tight budget.  It is a relatively valuable pick, too.

They are clearing a path for Josh Lowe. They couldn't trade Kiermaier because a tweak to the CBT rules increased his number if traded, and it would have pushed some suitors dangerously close.

Isaac Paredes had nowhere to go here.   I think he'll have a fine career once he's allowed to play everyday, but not really being a shortstop now hindered his value to the team.  The backup infielder has to be able to play some decent shortstop (along with 2nd, 3rd) and I didn't get a sense that was him.     If Kreidler pans out, he jumps Paredes too. 

What great news to wake up to.    I had a feeling they were going to pick someone up (I wouldn't rule out them picking up a bullpen arm still), but Austin Meadows?   Well done.   He'll now play his home games in an actual baseball stadium, with actual home fans.  Gonna be an adjustment for him.  

7 minutes ago, KL2 said:

I know are a lot are concerned cause tampa rays history of trading. But some of that is myth

They didn't get much for Corey Dickerson, Evan Longoria and the like.

Sure, but what was Paredes going to be here?   If Baez leaves Kreidler is the heir apparent.  Both Castros are more versatile defensively.   Kid was just blocked.   I could see him being a .270 guy with 15-20 HRs for Tampa.  Nice career.  I think we'll get that power out of Meadows at a minimum, at a position of need.    I kind of feel bad for Derek Hill because I think a lot of his injuries have come on hustle plays, but you just can't count on him.   I know they once loved Daz, but it seems like Daz has some big holes in his game.   Victor is a good 4th OF because he is a switch hitter and can play all 3 positions and he is one of those guys you end up needing more than you think.     But E-Sock?  No room for him here. Got an everyday starter for him.    MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE !

35 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Seriously, you all................when's the last time the Tigers pulled off a trade like this?   A guy who is still young, who still has a higher ceiling.  

Wait a minute.............I'm still dreaming, aren't I ?    

Mixing weed & Melatonin again..................

If I said "Mixing Weed & Melatonin Again" on Facebook, they would ban me for a week, even though it's completely legal for 57 year olds in my state. 

They gave me a ban warning for quoting the Carpenters last week.   

• Confused 1