2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

3 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Conforto would have cost them a pick near the CBB, so this makes a lot more sense getting Meadows for 3 years at a much lower $$$ cost; Parades is going to get passed by Kreidler and others soon.

And how unlike Al to not betray even an inkling something was up on when they asked him about Conforto. 

14 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

So, I guess Baddoo will be the center fielder with Meadows and Grossman at the corners and Reyes backing up.  Meadows still has three years before free  agency too.  

They will have an interesting (good) situation when Greene returns.  

When green comes back he can play cf a bit or give a day off. And you can always move Grossman at the deadline, to recoup Isaac and let meadows and Greene play the corners 

Just now, gehringer_2 said:

Does increase their flexibility at the deadline, though as a pending FA Grossman might not yield much unless he is really tearing it up.  Well, we can hope.

Meh Norris sucks butt and he got a mid tier prospect.

Hitters are always in demand.

to state obvious, his little brother is Parker Meadows, 2nd round pick who has stalled at WMI

Toledo IF still looks like they could help with Clemens-Kriedler-Short

Tigers were +1 with 2021 draft picks including CBP, but now are -1 with trade and ERod signing.

Maybe TB can unlock something, but hard to see Parades getting many at-bats with the Rays - I assume they really wanted pick

33 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Your 2022 American League MVP

Isaac Paredes

That’s what I was thinking, too. Aren’t you supposed to hang up when Tampa Bay calls sniffing after a particular player? 😅

This is great especially for the first half of the season, although I’m not sure what happens after that. We already have a hook-hitting left fielder with iffy D who rakes RHPs and struggles against southpaws, so now we got two of those guys. When Riley Greene comes back, perhaps after the break, who do we slot where? It’ll be close to the deadline and this should give us options, assuming Baddoo doesn’t turn into a pumpkin.

I do like that Meadows is only 26, so there’s a decent chance he could be 2019 Austin rather than 2021 Austin. His BABIP was really low last year so that’s a sign pointing to yes. He’s also controllable for three more seasons, which means he could be tradeable the next couple of deadlines if, god forbid, it comes to that.

I do agree that trading from depth to get a potential-impact controllable player is a very different move from the type Dombrowski used to make. I like the chutzpah of the move. Although I don’t look forward to Isaac Paredes becoming yet another of our guys who has an All-Star career in someone else’s threads. 😏

Edited by chasfh

A Meadows-Grossman-Baddoo-Greene rotation is not at all difficult to manage, especially if you grab some ABs from Miggy and/or Tork.

vs LHP: LF Meadows or Baddoo; CF Greene; RF Grossman

vs RHP: LF Meadows; CF Baddoo; RF Greene; with Grossman spelling Greene and Miggy occasionally

27 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

article about Meadow increase in FB rate and attendant decrease in BaBIP. If there is park that might persuade him to stop trying to hit the ball in the air as much it should be COPA.

https://www.draysbay.com/2022/1/26/22877187/austin-meadows-has-been-trying-to-hit-the-catwalks

Tropicana Field is a a tough place to hit home runs.  Comerica won't change him.  

Waiting for Paredes to pull a James Harden and suddenly show up to his new team 75lbs lighter after it was revealed he was wearing a fat suit the entire time. Seriously though great trade, it of course concerns me trading with TB but even if they find something in Paredes and he becomes good there as long as Meadows plays well for us I really won't care. 

Also that Adames trade with the Brewers last year doesn't look so hot as of now so perhaps it proves that their front office is indeed human and do make mistakes just like everybody else. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

This trade takes this "meh" offseason and immediately makes it a very nice offseason.

We not only plugged a hole but put a plus hitter into the OF in a place of relative weakness, in his prime, with a career wRC+ of 124 and who can be counted on for a solid 2-4 WAR per year through 2024 under team control.

32 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Tropicana Field is a a tough place to hit home runs.  Comerica won't change him.  

it does seem odd that the fences are not deep and obviously there is no wind - but it consistently seem to have a low park factor. Do the baseballs get soggy in Tampa?

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Does increase their flexibility at the deadline, though as a pending FA Grossman might not yield much unless he is really tearing it up.  Well, we can hope.

But if Grossman is tearing it up and the Tigers are contending, we'll want to keep him. This move could be a serious improvement for us, maybe Chicago isn't going to walk away with the division?

RE: CHicago, they lost Rodon from last year and now Lance Lynn is out 6-8 weeks so their rotation may not be as strong as it was last year and could potentially be a chink in their armor. Of course they were also without Eloy and Robert for a good portion of the year last year so their offense should atleast theoretically be better to help offset that.