2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

15 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Sure, but what was Paredes going to be here?   If Baez leaves Kreidler is the heir apparent.  Both Castros are more versatile defensively.   Kid was just blocked.   I could see him being a .270 guy with 15-20 HRs for Tampa.  Nice career.  I think we'll get that power out of Meadows at a minimum, at a position of need.    I kind of feel bad for Derek Hill because I think a lot of his injuries have come on hustle plays, but you just can't count on him.   I know they once loved Daz, but it seems like Daz has some big holes in his game.   Victor is a good 4th OF because he is a switch hitter and can play all 3 positions and he is one of those guys you end up needing more than you think.     But E-Sock?  No room for him here. Got an everyday starter for him.    MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE !

I don't think anyone is arguing any of that. But look at the threads there's a bunch of "I dunno about giving up parades, why did they want him. They always massively win trades." Fact is they don't. 

2 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Hill and Cameron still have a path, assuming we don’t keep Grossman after this season.

I think the writing is on the wall for Hill.   Maybe he's a Quintin Berry for someone, maybe even the Tigers, but he's just injury prone.  And yes, he gets hurt hustling, but you can't ask him to not hustle.    

I am still pissed at that first baseman for Tampa Bay, who completely steps on the bag.  Ji-Man Choi..........Hill got hurt trying to avoid him, but I notice he does it all the time.   Someone better warn him that if he keeps doing that he's going to get freight-trained.   

31 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Hill and Cameron still have a path, assuming we don’t keep Grossman after this season.

I have to guess there is something they are unhappy with Cameron about - IDK if he came to camp out of shape or is refusing some coaching they are pushing, but he seemed to get a pretty cold shoulder this Spring even compared to last. 

This is a good point, not necessarily a good or bad thing but you rarely do hear about the Tigers "being close to acquiring" or "in talks with" when it comes to players the Tigers actually acquire. It's like all the sudden you just hear the news that they acquired a guy. This goes back to the Dombrowski days as well, it's like out of nowhere we would get a Sanchez, Price, Iglesias etc.

Now there have been times where people speculated that we might be interested in somebody and we got them but that was usually just people throwing out names wildly and they just so happen to come to fruition. 

11 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I have to guess there is something they are unhappy with Cameron about - IDK if he came to camp out of shape or is refusing some coaching they are pushing, but he seemed to get a pretty cold shoulder this Spring even compared to last. 

He's 25 now.  It doesn't sound like he was given very much consideration for a RHH platoon role for this season, even with Hill's injury.

1 hour ago, KL2 said:

I know are a lot are concerned cause tampa rays history of trading. But some of that is myth

They didn't get much for Corey Dickerson, Evan Longoria and the like.

Thank you, Captain Anecdote! 😉

Edited by chasfh

29 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

This is a good point, not necessarily a good or bad thing but you rarely do hear about the Tigers "being close to acquiring" or "in talks with" when it comes to players the Tigers actually acquire. It's like all the sudden you just hear the news that they acquired a guy. This goes back to the Dombrowski days as well, it's like out of nowhere we would get a Sanchez, Price, Iglesias etc.

Now there have been times where people speculated that we might be interested in somebody and we got them but that was usually just people throwing out names wildly and they just so happen to come to fruition. 

I think it's more good than bad, although it's a tendency that causes the fan base to get squeamish at times. Earlier in the post-lockout session when Collin McHugh signed comes to mind (ie. all the good relievers are going away, Tigers need to do something)

2 minutes ago, Stanley70 said:

What i find interesting is that the Tigers offer got the deal done. They must really like Paredes, or place a high value on that comp pick.

Their business model relies on getting new blood into their farm system, so the pick may be the bigger chip here.

Paredes has always had a good K/BB ratio which is something that I think a team like Tampa looks for to go along with good contact skills, he just never had the power or "loud at bats" you look for in today's game especially for a guy that isn't going to be playing up the middle. Perhaps Tampa sees some untapped power there or they think they can shoehorn him into 2B.  

Meadows has a huge platoon split the last few years, to the point where he will probably need to be sat against left handers. He pretty much only played left field or DH in TB also. I am not sure how viable he is in CF or RF.

TB must have felt they could find someone who could replicate his value and decided carrying that contract wasn't a good value for them. Plus the received something for him.

It's a good deal for the Tigers but Meadows looks similar to Badoo to me.