2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

3 hours ago, casimir said:

Do we need to conduct a wellness check on @1984Echoes?

Well alrighty then...!!!

I guess we are going with Baez.

As I said a couple times before... Glad we got one of the top 5 SS solutions... we badly needed a big improvement in that one position.

Disappointed that we didn't get one of two guys I liked a whole lot more - Correa and Story - but I can live with this.

Baez it is...

And yes... I'm still breathing.  😉

3 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Our lineup next season, once Greene and Tork join, is going to K a lot, but the power will be fun.

1. Grossman

2. Greene

3. Candelario

4. Cabrera

5. Schoop

6. Baez

7. Torkelson

8. Barnhart

9. Hill/Cameron/Baddoo

I want Tork in that 4th spot and everyone else pushed down 1 spot...

41 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Yes, you will be frustrated when Javier Baez sometimes swings and misses a pitch by literally two feet. You will be frustrated by his high strikeout rate and low walk rate and the occasional cold streak. You may even be frustrated by his periodic loose cannon behavior. Assuming, of course, A.J. and his college of coaches don't somehow get to him on all this.

What you won't be frustrated with is Javy's defense in the most important position facing the batter. You won't be frustrated by his excellent range, by his acrobatics, by his instincts, and by his otherworldly tag skills. Remember how good a shortstop we all thought Jose Iglesias was when he was here? Well, Baez every day >>>> Iglesias on his best day.

You won't be frustrated by Javy's baserunning. You've never seen a guy slide into a bag and evade a tag like Javier Baez, except when you have seen Twitter video of Baez himself making such slides. Now you will get to see them every day, and sometimes live at the ballpark.

You won't be frustrated by Javy's hot streaks which, when he has them—and he will have them—makes him as good a hitter as anyone in the major leagues. How would you like a shortstop with plus-D capable of hitting .339/.372/.629 while jacking 16 bombs and swiping a dozen bags? Javier Baez has been that kind of hitter: he did it in 2018 over a stretch of seventy-three games. What? Too long ago to matter anymore? OK, how about .297/.361/.523 with 15 bombs and nine bags? Will that do? Because that's how he hit in the final 73 games of this season.

But most of all, you won't be frustrated by the pure joy Javy radiates by just being on the field flashing the incredible skills he has in the service of helping the Detroit Tigers—that team we all grew up loving through thick and thin and thin and thin—win ballgames. Javy is going to put at least one involuntary broad smile on your face just about every game he plays for the Tigers, starting this year.

I said it before, and I'm going to say it again:

You're gonna love watching Javier Baez, Detroit Tiger. I guarantee it.

I am OK with this signing, but you sound like his agent!  

Just now, Tiger337 said:

I am OK with this signing, but you sound like his agent!  

I watched this guy live and in person for seven years, so I know his warts, too. Like I say, there will be times we are frustrated with him. But when he's going good, he's as good as anyone, and there is not a player who is more fun to watch in baseball today. I would watch him play and wonder: is this what pre-Jackie Negro Leagues baseball was like?

I would be shocked if they were still in on Correa now... I'd also be shocked if they were still in on Story, but a bit less so.  Just for the fun of it though, what do you think Story will end up signing for?  Would you want him at that rate?  If, in this odd parallel universe the Tigers did sign Story too, who plays where?  Does Schoop move to 1st?

Yeah I know this isn't going to happen... just an interesting through experiment. 

8 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

So I'm looking at baseballl reference and Baez has apparently played quite a bit of 2nd base in the past... Maybe the Tigers can pull a Rangers?

(No, I'm not really being serious... or am I?)

Yeah, that's another thing: this is not Derek Jeter we're signing, someone who's going to insist he play shortstop and nowhere else. Javy can certainly move down to 2B, perhaps if/when/once Kreidler is ready to take over SS in 2024 and Jonathan Schoop leaves.

He can also play 3B if it comes to it, although his pick skills aren't exactly exceptional. He's seemingly better if he has to move to make the play.

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Yeah, that's another thing: this is not Derek Jeter we're signing, someone who's going to insist he play shortstop and nowhere else. Javy can certainly move down to 2B, perhaps if/when/once Kreidler is ready to take over SS in 2024 and Jonathan Schoop leaves.

He can also play 3B if it comes to it, although his pick skills aren't exactly exceptional. He's seemingly better if he has to move to make the play.

As has been stated many times, AJ loves him some versatility

Baez was exactly average on the Baseball Savant defense this year.  Is this a fluke or has he peaked defensively? 

That's not to say that there would be anything wrong with an average shortstop.  An average shortstop is a good defender.  

Edited by Tiger337

17 hours ago, buddha said:

oh g2.  g2 g2 g2....

Who knows what Correa is going to get - maybe the moon, or OTOH for all we know at this point Texas may have been bidding against themselves for Seager, but we got our guy at less than 200M (or so it seems) so the Semien contract wasn't too bad an indicator there.

50 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

I would have canned Al long ago - drafting, trading (ugh), and free agency fails abounded

but boy has he been doing a good job for the last few years

total reversal of outcomes

His last 3 offseasons including this one have been good, and this one could be great.  He got Baez AND Rodriguez for not much more AAV than Correa will get by himself, and for 4 or 5 years less term.  It's brilliant.  There will be one more SP, and if it's Stroman he will be Executive of the Year.

10 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

i am not qualified to make that call, but people seems to rave about his glove work/tag skills

OK, now I see what you did there.

Yes, I did say Javy has plus-D with good range, great instincts/intelligence, and exceptional tag skills. I didn't say anything about his pick skills, which I would characterize as being a lesser strength than those other defensive aspects. I'm not sure I would call it a weakness, exactly. Maybe lower end of average.

I know people would like to use the Baez savings on another rotation piece, but I wouldn't mind seeing them pick up a premier backend bullpen arm, either instead or as well. Thinking maybe McHugh, Knebel, Tepera, or as someone mentioned earlier, maybe Chafin. Or, if we really want to make a splash, how about going to the top of that market for Raisel Iglesias? I could be talked into 3/30 for that guy.

I know we have Soto and Cisnero at the back of the pen now, and they were probably good enough for a 77-win team. But are those the guys we would want to come in late in a game well into October? Especially if they're gonna walk one out of every seven or eight guys they face?

I'm thinking, if we were to make a move like this to lock down the back of that pen, then I'd know that this organization is serious about 2022.

• Thanks 1