03/10/2023 1:05pm EST New York Yankees vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

36 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Carpenters power v Badoos speed. 
Who goes north ?

I think the answer to that is BA-driven. Whoever can hit MLB pitching can GET to that power, or speed; otherwise... if they're struggling against MLB pitching (makes the power and/ or speed moot) it's some more time in AAA, IMO...

25 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I think the answer to that is BA-driven. Whoever can hit MLB pitching can GET to that power, or speed; otherwise... if they're struggling against MLB pitching (makes the power and/ or speed moot) it's some more time in AAA, IMO...

Not batting average, that's practically useless for spring training samples. Like people worrying about Torkelson because he's posting a buck fifty, when in actuality he's been hitting the hell out of the ball.

41 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

what is this 1984?

Yes, batting average.

Not spring training BA, projected BA.

Can Baddoo hit MLB pitching? Because if he's still struggling against MLB off-speed, he won't be able to get to his speed. Unless he's a PR only. Which is... unlikely. AAA.

If Carpenter is struggling against MLB off-speed... AAA. If he's showing that he can handle MLB-offspeed, then he can get to his power. And that does NOT mean spring training BA, it means that they can project, if he is handling MLB offspeed, that he will be able to get to his power and not struggle at the Mendoza line. During... the 2023 regular season.

I am more interested in projected OBP, but Carpenter's projected power overrides what slight projected advantage Baddoo might have there.  The bigger question is defense.  Despite his poor throwing arm, I believe Baddoo will be a better more versatile defender.  

Edited by Tiger337

10 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Why are we questioning anything with Baddoo?  He’s Chris Shelton, Brennan Boesch and Nico Goodrum—send him to Toledo until we need his 40 man roster spot. Or other outfielders push him out.

You could say the same about Carpenter or a number of other players vying for a spot on the roster.  Pretty much the entire roster is an unknown and it won't be known until they play real games.  I'd rather see a player do well in Spring training than not, but spring training performance is lowly correlated with regular season performance.  

3 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

You could say the same about Carpenter or a number of other players vying for a spot on the roster.  Pretty much the entire roster is an unknown and it won't be known until they play real games.  I'd rather see a player do well in Spring training than not, but spring training performance is lowly correlated with regular season performance.  

That’s fair, but I’m basing it more on what I saw last season—this spring training isn’t factored in.  

And I have my doubts about Carpenter, too.

I think the prevailing theory is that at least one of Baddoo/Carpenter makes the team and likely both.  I don't think it will happen, but I wouldn't be shocked at all if both start the season in Toledo.  Carpenter and Cabrera on the same roster is essentially like carrying 2 DHs.  I'm not sure that there's enough defensive flexibility elsewhere on the roster to handle that if all three of Baddoo/Cabrera/Carpenter are on the roster.

Then again, this first half of the season might be a throw away to figure things out for the future anyway.

6 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I'd rather see a player do well in Spring training than not, but spring training performance is lowly correlated with regular season performance.  

Same goes for Spring Training statistics as well... the evaluations on these players are no doubt more holistic than just looking at the ST stat sheet and making decisions accordingly. 

Aside from the outfielders, this is probably the case for Torkelson who, despite the stat sheet looking rough, seems to have improved his approach at the plate.

Edited by mtutiger

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

Same goes for Spring Training statistics as well... the evaluations on these players are no doubt more holistic than just looking at the ST stat sheet and making decisions accordingly. 

Aside from the outfielders, this is probably the case for Torkelson who, despite the stat sheet looking rough, seems to have improved his approach at the plate.

Kinda makes one wish there was a stat for "loud outs".

• Haha 1

Regarding Carpenter/Baddoo, I am sort of on the fence in that it's easy to lean toward Carpenter on the hope and promise of his bat, but Baddoo brings a skillset on the basis that this team doesn't have.

Of course, it is all predicated on Baddoo actually getting on base, but he tends to create havoc when he gets there. It is ST, but the first run of Thursday's game (Baddoo stealing home while Kreidler was caught in a rundown) was a good example... he brings a package of skills there that others can't.

You can see why the Tigers still remain intrigued by the guy, at least. But it all comes down to if he can get on base enough with his opportunities