NBA Season 2021-2022

pfife

Also, Cam Reddish got moved to the Knicks. So, a lot of the trade rumors out there about the Pistons going after Cam in a Grant trade are off the table. However, some are speculating that Atlanta may have collected that extra first round pick from the Knicks in order to do a subsequent trade...Grant maybe?

9 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

Also, Cam Reddish got moved to the Knicks. So, a lot of the trade rumors out there about the Pistons going after Cam in a Grant trade are off the table. However, some are speculating that Atlanta may have collected that extra first round pick from the Knicks in order to do a subsequent trade...Grant maybe?

would you do grant to the bulls for williams, jones, and the blazers protected first rounder?

proposed trades from the athletic:

New York receives Jerami Grant, Detroit receives Alec Burks, Nerlens Noel, Obi Toppin, NYK 2022 first-round pick (top-10 protected)

or

Washington receives Jerami Grant, Pistons receive Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Thomas Bryant, 2025 lottery-protected first-round pick (or two years after a draft-pick-owed commitment to OKC is settled, whichever occurs first)

or 

Portland receives Jerami Grant, Detroit receives Norman Powell and Ben McLemore

or

Lakers receive Jerami Grant, Pistons receive Talen Horton-Tucker, Kendrick Nunn, Kent Bazemore and a 2027 first-round pick

of those, i would rank them knicks, washington, blazers, lakers.  but the only one i would take "as is" would be the knicks trade.  i would need something else from the wiz or blazers, and would outright reject any deal the lakers present.  lakers will need to get another team involved if they want grant.

Edited by buddha

I am a little disappointed in the Bol Bol news,  I of course was being tongue and cheek when I talked about him being a franchise changer for us but I still had hope that he may have been a serviceable piece going forward and atleast another young player on the team that you could potentially get excited about and root for. 

For his sake I'm hoping it's nothing real serious, perhaps it was something the Pistons thought may put him out for most of the year or at the very least hindered his ability and made it difficult to accurately scout him.  Being a RFA they would be put in a tough position this summer if that were the case since they never wouldve gotten a good or accurate look at him. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

22 hours ago, buddha said:

would you do grant to the bulls for williams, jones, and the blazers protected first rounder?

The Chicago deals I've been hearing similar to this one make the most sense. They're in "win-now" mode with DeRozan.

Not a fan of most of the trades on the Athletic.

The NYK trade is decent.
The Washington trade is 'meh'.
I want Anfernee + Covington if we're trading with Portland, not Powell and definitely not McLemore.
Lakers can GTFO with that garbage.

Atlanta might still be able to put together a nice package for Grant. I'd take those first round picks, Okongwu, and Gallinari (for salary match). I'd also be interested in a package if it involved Collins, but I doubt they let him go.

Golden State is another team I'd talk to. Wiseman and Kuminga are both interesting young prospects and they have a closing window that's not long enough for those kids to make an impact. Grant, on the other hand, can be huge for them on both ends immediately. After losing their last two games to playoffs teams (Bucks and Grizz), they might be ripe for a discussion.

Phoenix is also in win-now mode with Chris Paul's tiny window. I want Cam Johnson in that trade. Saric would probably have to come back for salaries, plus some other stuff in that deal to make it work. Sadly Phoenix doesn't have a pick to trade.

I've heard Boston discussed by those who theorize that they're ready to give up on the Tatum/Brown pairing. Obviously, I'd do almost anything to get Brown, but I don't see that happening. Swapping firsts this year might sweeten the pot, but they'd still want more than just Grant. However, if you can pull that off, then suddenly the window changes. You throw all your money at Ayton in the offseason and you've got a core (Cade, Brown, Ayton) that can start making noise immediately next year.

Edited by Betrayer

23 hours ago, buddha said:

proposed trades from the athletic:

New York receives Jerami Grant, Detroit receives Alec Burks, Nerlens Noel, Obi Toppin, NYK 2022 first-round pick (top-10 protected)

or...

Definitely the Knicks trade and no on the others. Even more-so if we could talk the Knicks into Mitch Robinson instead of Noels although there is zero chance the Knicks go for that. But I would try to hold out for Robinson and play them against Atlanta or other interested teams to see if that would work...

2022 protected and if they falter or luck into a top 10 pick? Their 2023 1st rounder?

1 hour ago, Betrayer said:

Atlanta might still be able to put together a nice package for Grant. I'd take those first round picks, Okongwu, and Gallinari (for salary match). I'd also be interested in a package if it involved Collins, but I doubt they let him go...

You can't trade for Collins and I don't think you're getting Gallinari to match salaries. You're getting Bogdanovic. The rest of you're trade works...

4 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

You can't trade for Collins and I don't think you're getting Gallinari to match salaries. You're getting Bogdanovic. The rest of you're trade works...

Collins can be traded after January 14th, which is coming up...now. But again, that was me wishing. I don't see Atlanta moving him.

Anyone remember this:

Pistons Considered Potential Suitor For Marvin Bagley III

November 12th 2021 at 1:10pm CST by Luke Adams
The Pistons are considered a team to watch as a possible suitor for Kings big man Marvin Bagley III, according to Marc Stein. Within his latest Substack column, Stein cites league sources who say Detroit has been tracking Bagley since last season, before the forward fell out of favor in Sacramento.

The second overall pick in the 2018 draft, Bagley had a promising rookie year for the Kings, averaging 14.9 PPG and 7.6 RPG in 62 games. However, his production hasn’t improved at all since then and his role has been reduced. Last month, the Kings informed Bagley that he wouldn’t be part of the club’s rotation to open the season, prompting agent Jeff Schwartz to put out a statement blasting Sacramento for its handling of his client.

“It’s clear they have no plans for him in the future, and yet, passed on potential deals at last year’s deadline and this summer based on ‘value,'” Schwartz said in that statement. “Instead they chose to bring him back but not play him, a move completely contradictory to their ‘value’ argument. This is a case study in mismanagement by the Kings organization.”

Bagley has appeared in just one game so far this season, logging 10 minutes of action on October 22 in a loss to Utah. A report earlier this week suggested that the 22-year-old refused to check into Monday’s game when head coach Luke Walton called his number.

While the Kings would presumably welcome the opportunity to trade Bagley, who is in the final year of his rookie contract, Stein says a deal is unlikely to be made until sometime after December 15, when more players become trade-eligible.

It’s unclear what the Pistons would be willing to give up for Bagley. The team only has three players earning over $6MM this season — Jerami Grant, Kelly Olynyk, and Cade Cunningham. Grant and Cunningham obviously wouldn’t be in play for Bagley, and I doubt the team would want to give up Olynyk just months after making a significant commitment to him in free agency.

In order to match Bagley’s $11.3MM salary then, the Pistons may have to package a couple lesser-paid players, including perhaps Hamidou Diallo ($5.2MM), who doesn’t currently have a regular role in the club’s rotation. Diallo can’t be dealt until January 15.

I kind of wonder is it has any legs to it still.  We're past the mentioned date of December 15th, but I would have to imagine all of the COVID crap could have thrown a wrench into deal making.  But now that the Bol Bol deal came and went, I wonder if Bagley might still be an option, or if the interest just dissipated (from either side), or if the rumbling was just a bunch of hullaballoo.

I guess a couple of things to note in the article would be his refusal to enter a game under Walton's watch and the fact that Diallo has gotten splinters out of his shorts since the original article was posted.

Nuggets announced that Bol Bol is having surgery on his foot and will be out for 8 to 12 weeks, so that explains why the trade was nixed. I believe he had issues with his feet in college which is why he dropped as far as he did in the draft so this isn't good news at all for him, especially when you factor in his size. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Nuggets announced that Bol Bol is having surgery on his foot and will be out for 8 to 12 weeks, so that explains why the trade was nixed. I believe he had issues with his feet in college which is why he dropped as far as he did in the draft so this isn't good news at all for him, especially when you factor in his size. 

Montiejunas looks like even more of an idiot with his crying on Twitter about how Detroit is ruining NBA careers by failing physicals on trades.

I just caught the tail end of it on the radio but they were talking about how the Pistons made an offer to Philly for Simmons. Gave no details though about what it consisted of. 

It doesnt seem like he'd be a fit with Cade since he can't shoot but he definitely is long, athletic and talented so lord knows we need that.

I imagine that it would take multiple unprotected picks and that's not something Id be willing to part with. If he could be had for any combination of non Cade player on the team and maybe a top 7 protected this year, top 4 next year and unprotected after that Id pull the trigger but surely Philly could do better than that somewhere else.

3 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I just caught the tail end of it on the radio but they were talking about how the Pistons made an offer to Philly for Simmons. Gave no details though about what it consisted of. 

It doesnt seem like he'd be a fit with Cade since he can't shoot but he definitely is long, athletic and talented so lord knows we need that.

I imagine that it would take multiple unprotected picks and that's not something Id be willing to part with. If he could be had for any combination of non Cade player on the team and maybe a top 7 protected this year, top 4 next year and unprotected after that Id pull the trigger but surely Philly could do better than that somewhere else.

grant and olynyk for simmons works.  i dont see how that helps philly unless you have harris at small forward and olynyk as a bench guy.

but the nunbers work.  they can have brooklyn's second rounder if you want a pick.  besides, we cant trade our first round pick because we owe it to houston.

According to Philly papers it seems the proposed deal is Grant, Bey, Olynyk and a future 1st for Simmons.  I would do that in a heartbeat seeing how as you mentioned it can't be this year's pick so it would have to be one down the road and hopefully by then we will be good.  

It would suck to lose Bey but lets face it he is replaceable and a potential big 3 of Cade, Simmons and a top 3 pick this year could carry us to the upper echelon in the East in a couple years.  Of course Philly rightfully said no but who knows they may cave eventually if/when they don't get their Damian Lillard like star that they are holding out for in return. 

19 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

According to Philly papers it seems the proposed deal is Grant, Bey, Olynyk and a future 1st for Simmons.  I would do that in a heartbeat seeing how as you mentioned it can't be this year's pick so it would have to be one down the road and hopefully by then we will be good.  

It would suck to lose Bey but lets face it he is replaceable and a potential big 3 of Cade, Simmons and a top 3 pick this year could carry us to the upper echelon in the East in a couple years.  Of course Philly rightfully said no but who knows they may cave eventually if/when they don't get their Damian Lillard like star that they are holding out for in return. 

but the pistons cant trade a future first.

1 hour ago, casimir said:

Excuse me, why do we want the Pistons to trade for a nonshot making diva that has sat out this season?

The deal was obviously not true since we can't trade a first anyway, but even if it could have been true in some alternate reality I wouldn't have touched it with a 10' pole. Grant, Bey, and a first rounder? That's going in the opposite direction for a rebuilding team. No way he's worth that, his contract is terrible, he can't shoot, and he's a diva. If you asked to trade Grant for Simmons straight up I'd say no and wouldn't think twice - he's the opposite of what this team needs.

39 minutes ago, casimir said:

He's a below average shooter outside of 3 feet.

he's a very good passer and an elite defender.  he's tall and long.  play him as a rim running 4 on a small ball lineup with a good shooting 5.  he'd be perfect in that role.

if you defend him with a small guard, you can send your center out high and post simmons up.  if you defend him with a big, he can blow by him.

he'd be great in denver with jokic.  he'd be good in detroit with someone like olynyk.  but detroit is not in the position to be giving up young players for a guy like simmons with his massive contract.  definitely wouldnt trade bey, but might deal stewart.  but i would never give up a #1 pick for him, which detroit couldnt do anyway because they have a future 1 promised to houston.

the only way detroit can give a #1 to philly is if they deal for someone else's and then give that #1 to them.

• Like 1

Since we can't trade a first its a moot point but if we could've gotten him for that deal I don't understand why you would balk at it. 

Yeah Simmons can't shoot but despite that he has still been a very productive and valuable player in his career, made multiple All NBAs, All Star Games and was/is generally considered a top 20 to 25 player in the league who is entering his prime years. 

If you can get that for an even more flawed player in Grant who will be gone in a year, a guy like Bey who is replaceable and a pick that should be in the teens or later you should hop on it.imo Again though it seems all hypothetical at this point.

5 hours ago, buddha said:

he's a very good passer and an elite defender.  he's tall and long.  play him as a rim running 4 on a small ball lineup with a good shooting 5.  he'd be perfect in that role.

if you defend him with a small guard, you can send your center out high and post simmons up.  if you defend him with a big, he can blow by him.

he'd be great in denver with jokic.  he'd be good in detroit with someone like olynyk.  but detroit is not in the position to be giving up young players for a guy like simmons with his massive contract.  definitely wouldnt trade bey, but might deal stewart.  but i would never give up a #1 pick for him, which detroit couldnt do anyway because they have a future 1 promised to houston.

the only way detroit can give a #1 to philly is if they deal for someone else's and then give that #1 to them.

Oh, he’s talented, no question.  And you’re right, he could be a matchup nightmare for the opposition.  But he can’t shoot.  And I would say he’s probably a headcase.  I  think that’s a bad combination for a young team to acquire.

• Like 1

well, i guess i'm the only one who thinks simmons and cade could be an interesting combination.  but for his price tag (in value given up and in salary), its probably not worth it.

otoh, i would definitely kick the tires to test philly's resolve.  i'm still a bit perplexed as to morey potentially wasting an entire year of embiid's prime just to wrangle what will likely be a mid range first round pick plus a young player for simmons.