NBA Season 2021-2022

pfife

32 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I was thinking about this last night, yeah Bagley was a top 5 pick so perhaps Weaver thinks there is some untapped potential there but how many cases in history has that actually worked out?  Chauncey comes to mind but I can't think of any other off the top of my head where a top pick struggled for more than 2 years, the team gave up on him and he ended full filling his potential elsewhere. I'm sure it has happened but I can't think of any.

he did the same thing with josh jackson and jahlil okafor.  those didnt pan out either.

its a fine gamble to take on bagley.  if he's happy rim running and taking lobs from cade, then fine.  we'll see how it goes.

but the larger point is that you didnt have to give anything up to do it.  you could have just signed him in the offseason.  

Just now, buddha said:

he did the same thing with josh jackson and jahlil okafor.  those didnt pan out either.

its a fine gamble to take on bagley.  if he's happy rim running and taking lobs from cade, then fine.  we'll see how it goes.

but the larger point is that you didnt have to give anything up to do it.  you could have just signed him in the offseason.  

The only thing I can think of is that they wanted to get a feel of his personality, how he fits here, if he improves at all away from Sacramento etc. instead of signing him unknowingly in the offseason. Of course whether that is worth 2 second round picks is to be debated. 

I'm fine with the Bagley move now. It gets rid of JJ and Lyles, who both needed to go and you get to try out Bagley before you buy.

Even more importantly, it gets you a rim threat which you need for Cade and Killian's development. The guards are getting killed out there with these double teams and nobody to take the pressure off of them on the pick n roll. He's also a solid rebounder, which we desperately need. Not saying we're trying to win games here, but let's try to make it more competitive.

Of course, this all depends upon Casey not just slotting Bagley into the Lyles spot and having him go out there and create his own shots on spots ups and isolations. That's what the Kings did and it will end in disaster here too. He's got to be used as a rim threat where his numbers are very good over the course of his short career.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, buddha said:

There is a pretty significant advantage in that his offer to make him a restricted FA will likely be $7.2 mil as he likely won’t meet the thresholds to increase it to $11 plus million.  Then, if they want they can match any offer he gets and don’t have to outbid everyone else.  They also get to see if he fits the culture as Betrayer said.

I like this move.  I am definitely upset we didn’t move Grant.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, 4hzglory said:

There is a pretty significant advantage in that his offer to make him a restricted FA will likely be $7.2 mil as he likely won’t meet the thresholds to increase it to $11 plus million.  Then, if they want they can match any offer he gets and don’t have to outbid everyone else.  They also get to see if he fits the culture as Betrayer said.

I like this move.  I am definitely upset we didn’t move Grant.

nobody was going to give him that kind of money.  the pistons arent likely to either unless he totally balls out for them, which in a way would be counter-productive because then you might have to pay him.

On 2/11/2022 at 9:45 AM, RandyMarsh said:

I was thinking about this last night, yeah Bagley was a top 5 pick so perhaps Weaver thinks there is some untapped potential there but how many cases in history has that actually worked out?  Chauncey comes to mind but I can't think of any other off the top of my head where a top pick struggled for more than 2 years, the team gave up on him and he ended full filling his potential elsewhere. I'm sure it has happened but I can't think of any.

Weaver seems to be obsessed with 5 stars from high school who have not worked out elsewhere.  Diallo, Frank Jackson, Trey Lyles, Josh Jackson, and now Marvin Bagley.  I might even be missing somebody.  

And he's doing OK with that...

Frank & Diallo look like they could be useful.

Josh & Trey contributed although... much less than evenly... And then he turned Josh & Trey into Bagley. I'm interested in seeing if Bagley's career can be turned around and in seeing what he can turn into if he does turn it around. 

I'm not expecting a star... but if he can be turned into a highly productive player, even at less than star level... then Weaver basically turned nothing into something. He signed both Josh and Trey for cash. And then bought Bagley for that investment.

• 4 weeks later...

He is eligible for a max extension this summer.  Curious to see if NO gives it to him with his weight/injury problems.

https://theathletic.com/3198951/2022/03/21/heat-a-potential-suitor-for-bradley-beal-herniated-disc-holding-ben-simmons-back-and-more-nba-news-inside-pass/

Sources said Zion Williamson is not expected to return to play this season, but that he is making progress toward on-court work. So far, Williamson has been seen doing stationary shooting and is able to bear weight on his injured foot. New Orleans has 11 regular-season games remaining, which leaves an improbably tight window for Williamson to complete the team’s ramp-up stages ranging from one-on-zero to five-on-five scrimmaging. Williamson returned to New Orleans two weeks ago after rehabbing his fractured foot injury in Portland, and the 21-year-old has been cleared to gradually progress in basketball activities. He has been attending Pelicans home games and has appeared to be in positive spirits around teammates and coaches. Williamson underwent surgery to repair his broken foot last summer and had several return targets delayed this season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

Chicago is 0-16 against the top 3 seeds in each conference.

double derozen, keep your shot blocker inside so lavine cant dunk, and then dare vuc to beat you from outside.  boom.  they cant score.

lavine will get frustrated and start jacking up threes or throwing the ball away.  pwill is hurt and too timid to shoot.  ayo stands in the corner and watches.  ball is hurt and caruso is caruso.  

theyre a better team than they have been in years, but still rely on derozen to be superman to get where they are.  at this rate they'll be lucky to avoid the playoff, although that win over toronto was huge a couple days ago.

5 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Haslem is a god in Miami and Jimmy, well he has shown in the past he might not be the best guy to lead a team.

https://streamable.com/mgiaol

Haslem has had an appreciated career.  Sure, he's only playing a handful or regular season games the past 6 seasons, but he's still going.  Kudos to him.  And clearly there is some significant value to him if he's stayed with Miami the whole time.  Not bad for being an undrafted kid that had to go oversees for a season and didn't crack the NBA until 23.  That's old for a debut anymore.

Spoelstra is pretty cool, calm, and collected during the whole thing, at least in terms of his nonverbal cues.  Quietly he's in his 14th season as head coach.  I may be wrong, but it seems like he's kind of faded into the background as far as coaching notoriety is concerned.  I don't think he's forgotten.  But you never hear anything bad about him and he's generally quiet on the national front.

HOU, ORL, and DET sitting at 20 wins. OKC with 21. It's going to be an interesting 9 games to finish the season.

I don't want to see another game like Atlanta where the vets score 58 points. Grant, CoJo, Olynyk, and McGruder can sit for the remainder of the season. Play Pickett, Lee, Garza, and Key instead. If you win games and you're playing all the youngters, fine, you can't tell these kids to play poorly on purpose, but don't throw the vets out there.

It's not about the roughly even odds of getting a 1-4 pick, it's about the odds of slipping to 5, 6, or 7.