NBA Season 2021-2022

pfife

42 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I don’t understand the fascination some teams have for 2nd round picks.   There are a few little nuggets here and there but the majority seem pretty worthless.   I’m glad that Troy seems feel the same way that I do.  

the same troy who traded sekou for deandre jordan's contract and 3 second round picks?

i'll believe weaver knows what he's doing when he gets something for grant.

• Like 1

i mean, getting bagley is fine.  got him for a bag of junk.  im pretty sure he didnt have to give up those picks but whatever, he'll trade them as quick as he gets them.

but again, you must get something for grant.  he's hindering cade.

i guess the one good thing about not trading grant is that he helps them lose games.

good trade for both teams.  i like brooklyn's haul better.  simmons on that team with curry too should be awesome for them once durant gets back.  simmons doesnt have to score.

i hate harden so much.  pissed that he goes to philly but that's a heckuva one-two punch with embiid.  two of the best offensive players on the league.  the problem will be chemistry.  how long until harden blows it all up because he's such a diva bitch?

20 minutes ago, buddha said:

good trade for both teams.  i like brooklyn's haul better.  simmons on that team with curry too should be awesome for them once durant gets back.  simmons doesnt have to score.

i hate harden so much.  pissed that he goes to philly but that's a heckuva one-two punch with embiid.  two of the best offensive players on the league.  the problem will be chemistry.  how long until harden blows it all up because he's such a diva bitch?

This is why the NBA is insufferable to follow. Way more divas per capita than any other sport. Harden, Durant and Irving ended up only playing 16 games together. 

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

This is why the NBA is insufferable to follow. Way more divas per capita than any other sport. Harden, Durant and Irving ended up only playing 16 games together. 

Yep, I know we get it in the NFL particularly with QBs and other skill position players but not to the extent of the nba. The second something goes just a little bit south somewhere the star player immediately wants out and they usually end up going to their preferred destination.

I can understand somebody like Lillard who has been with his team for a better part of a decade getting tired of the situation and wanting out, much like Stafford did here but these guys like Harden who want out the first time there may be some adversity is tiresome. 

Nets are shopping those two firsts. Give us those two firsts, Cam Thomas, and Harris for Grant. At least that will help me decide who to root for when the Nets (KD) face the 76ers (Harden) in the playoffs - I can pull for Grant and Bruce Brown.

10 minutes until the deadline. It's funny that 1 month ago Grant was the most likely big name to get traded. Here we are at the end of the line and a ton of other big names got moved but we're still hanging on tight to Grant. The handling of Grant will be a big determining factor in the story of Weaver as GM, so let's see what happens.

22 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

Nets are shopping those two firsts. Give us those two firsts, Cam Thomas, and Harris for Grant. At least that will help me decide who to root for when the Nets (KD) face the 76ers (Harden) in the playoffs - I can pull for Grant and Bruce Brown.

10 minutes until the deadline. It's funny that 1 month ago Grant was the most likely big name to get traded. Here we are at the end of the line and a ton of other big names got moved but we're still hanging on tight to Grant. The handling of Grant will be a big determining factor in the story of Weaver as GM, so let's see what happens.

no trade for grant.

we have a "comfortability" with him.

weaver better KNOW he can get portland's #1 this year for grant in the offseason or else this was yet another stupid move.

Really disappointing. Grant's trade value was at its highest an hour ago. Teams were jockeying for playoff power with no clear favorite this year. Grant had 1.5 years on his contract, which is the perfect time for a team to be able to try him out for a playoff run before having to commit to the extension he's going to ask for this summer. From here, his trade value begins to slowly decline.

Weaver could still recover by making a wise move this offseason, but if he extends Grant or lets him go into next season, then you can add this to the mistake side of Weaver's tally, which is getting larger. I'm still neutral on him overall at this point, but this offseason is going to be a big one.

• Thanks 1

ESPN gave out their grades for our trade both the Clips and Kings got A's, the Bucks a C+ and the Pistons a D+. It sounded like their main critique was that we couldve just signed Bagley in the offseason if we wanted. 

While that is true this atleast gives us a little trial run with him to see if we potentially want to keep him long term. 

13 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

ESPN gave out their grades for our trade both the Clips and Kings got A's, the Bucks a C+ and the Pistons a D+. It sounded like their main critique was that we couldve just signed Bagley in the offseason if we wanted. 

While that is true this atleast gives us a little trial run with him to see if we potentially want to keep him long term. 

We also get him restricted so we have controlling rights.

And it was time to make space on the roster so losing Trey and JJ are actually plusses... why not trade them for high-potential and an area of need for the team?

Just my 2 cents...

1 minute ago, Hongbit said:

Hoping we will here rumors of what the Pistons turned down for Grant but doubt that will get out.  

James Edwards has an article up now on the Athletic about the deadline, he doesn't specifically say what they turned down but says that from what he heard they were asking for 2 1st rounders or a young player(s) that could be a part of their future. 

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

On the flip side The Athletic gave us an A minus and said they loved the deal for us. 

5 hours ago, buddha said:

i mean, getting bagley is fine.  got him for a bag of junk.  im pretty sure he didnt have to give up those picks but whatever, he'll trade them as quick as he gets them.

but again, you must get something for grant.  he's hindering cade.

i guess the one good thing about not trading grant is that he helps them lose games.

Your part about hindering Cade is what worries me.  There is not enough of a sample size yet but the Pistons have been awful since Grant came back.  And Cade got injured his first game back.  I like the Pistons a lot better when they go small with Saddiq and Cade at forward.  

Weaver's honeymoon is behind us.  Pressure is on.  He remains loyal to a coach who is probably one of the worse in the league at developing offensive sets.  He was quick to part with players from the former regime (which is fine) yet Killian appears to have a long leash (should be in the g league) when he is a terrible fit next to Cade.  And now you have the Grant situation,  where he has some irrational loyalty to a guy that goes deeper than his value as a basketball player.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

James Edwards has an article up now on the Athletic about the deadline, he doesn't specifically say what they turned down but says that from what he heard they were asking for 2 1st rounders or a young player(s) that could be a part of their future. 

Again...points to the fact that Weaver thinks Grant is a lot better player than he really is.  

• Like 1

Time to start talking more about the NBA draft.  While it does not have last year's big names (and that class is also turning out to be much deeper than expected), the guys at the top are looking better and better as the season wears on.  Ivey has played himself in the conversation for top 3 and Holmgren has not disappointed.  Throw in Jabari Smith, the Duke duo, and Benedict Mathurin and the top of this draft looks legit to me.   

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

On the flip side The Athletic gave us an A minus and said they loved the deal for us. 

Jackson has had a nice resurrection to his career in Detroit, and he should help with the playmaking on the perimeter. He’s more of a playmaker for others than what they acquired in Lamb and Holiday. Lyles can be a decent stretch four for the Kings as well. This is a nice play for depth for a team that didn’t want Bagley before this season.

they also said that about jackson and lyles.  both of whom arent very good, imo.  jackson is a playmaker?

1 minute ago, buddha said:

Screenshot_20220211-083810_Chrome.jpg

I was thinking about this last night, yeah Bagley was a top 5 pick so perhaps Weaver thinks there is some untapped potential there but how many cases in history has that actually worked out?  Chauncey comes to mind but I can't think of any other off the top of my head where a top pick struggled for more than 2 years, the team gave up on him and he ended full filling his potential elsewhere. I'm sure it has happened but I can't think of any.