2023 Detroit Tigers Regular Season Discussion Thread

oblong

Benito Sanitago wore 09 for two teams.  His baseball reference page is unprepared for such a display.

image.png.293257afddb83edb2b136e1e00d1cd33.png

Is 00 considered the same as 0?

Is anyone else surprised that the holier than thou Yankees allow 0 to be used as a jersey number?

5 minutes ago, oblong said:

I would guess they are coaches?

Marcus Stroman, Adam Ottavino, Billy Hamilton, Andres Gimenez, Sam Haggerty, Brice Turang, and Domingo German. So, nope.

Of those seven, only Turang has never worn another number in the bigs. So, number 0 is a fad, if not a trend. Looks for a number 0 on the Tigers before long. Maybe J-Hen.

How do I know it's a fad? There have been 36 players in big league history who have worn number 0. Ten years ago today, there were only 11 in big league history.

Fourteen of the players in history who wore zero did not do so before the pandemic.

So, yeah, it's definitely a fad.

Don't look it up now, but: can you name the first player in history ever to wear number 0 in the big leagues?

54 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

I was not a fan of this pickup and honestly it could all go south after I post this but McKinstry's Savant page is pretty nice.
image.png.221195b1c11e9caaca27751a96094ded.png 

I was neutral on McKinstry when they got him.  I didn't think he'd do much, but they didn't give up anything to get him.  His first month was good.  Vierling, Rogers and McKinstry have been solid additions so far.  

Richard Anthony Allen led the NL in SOs twice, once with 150 and once with 138.  Those figures would place tied for 26th and 42th in MLB last season well, behind the MLB leading 200.  His career high was actually 161 which would tie for 17th with some pitcher / designated hitter.

Things have changed a bit since then.

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

Allen's career OPS+ was 156 which is 19th all-time.  His career up to age 33 was basically the same as Miguel Cabrera, but all you hear about is how much of a problem he was.  

Black man in the 1960s with a mind of his own and a penchant to tell us all about it? Check.