2023 Detroit Tigers Regular Season Discussion Thread

oblong

I don't know if statistically the offense is any better than last year but for some reason it feels like it's better to me.

Like last year I remember going a damn near month stretch from late may to late June where we only hit like 1 or 2 HRs total.  It just seem like we havent experienced patheticness like that.......yet.

Edited by RandyMarsh

Well, the Tigers do have 16 homers and only 10 behind the league average after 21 games.  The team has a .211 BA, the worst in the league.  A 603 OPS, the worst in the league.  Two guys on the team that have more than 2 home runs.  I would say this offense is just as bad as last season.  First base and corner outfield positions are your power  spots and they have 3 home runs combined.  These guys suck.

5 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

I honestly don't know if this is a joke, but there is something to that. Granted, the first 6 games indoors in the south and a bit of a heat wave during some of the home games bely that.

it's a half joke.  People used to think the latin players didn't like playing in it.

4 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

I honestly don't know if this is a joke, but there is something to that. Granted, the first 6 games indoors in the south and a bit of a heat wave during some of the home games bely that.

Cold weather does affect hitting, but the Tigers don't hit well in any weather.

Just now, oblong said:

it's a half joke.  People used to think the latin players didn't like playing in it.

The Tigers have too many white guys who grew up in middle class suburban families and played for travel teams.  They never had to work for anything.  Too soft.  

A couple of points: they are walking at a decent clip, at least compared to some of their worst months in 2022. And compared to 2022, their BABIP is lower, so they may be getting somewhat unlucky.

But on the whole, eye test, I would say "it's better, but they still suck" is a good way to characterize them compared to 2022. At least at the moment.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

A couple of points: they are walking at a decent clip, at least compared to some of their worst months in 2022. And compared to 2022, their BABIP is lower, so they may be getting somewhat unlucky.

But on the whole, eye test, I would say "it's better, but they still suck" is a good way to characterize them compared to 2022. At least at the moment.

Yeah this is where I'm at. I know they still suck but atleast personally I have more faith in this offense than last year. Like last year I legit would chalk the game up as a loss once the other team got 2 runs, I genuinely didnt expect us to score the 3 runs needed to win that game.

Now I may say it jokingly but I still am not completely giving up the game like I would have last year. 

29 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Now I may say it jokingly but I still am not completely giving up the game like I would have last year. 

Honestly, the SF series kinda looms large in how I view them versus 2022....

You cannot convince me that last year's team, at least as they were in the first half of last year, wouldn't have folded like a cheap tent in either of those two wins against the Giants.

5 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I thought this chart was interesting...

Tigers fall squarely into the lower left... the White Sox being upper right is eye opening

That is kind of encouraging.  However, since the Tigers are pretty much dead last to begin with, even if they do get to where they should be, it’s going to be a rough season with the sticks.

9 hours ago, tiger2022 said:

Well, the Tigers do have 16 homers and only 10 behind the league average after 21 games.  The team has a .211 BA, the worst in the league.  A 603 OPS, the worst in the league.  Two guys on the team that have more than 2 home runs.  I would say this offense is just as bad as last season.  First base and corner outfield positions are your power  spots and they have 3 home runs combined.  These guys suck.

They are worse now in many ways than they were last year at this time. Through 21 games this year, they are walking less, striking out more, and have scored fewer runs than last year. There are some encouraging signs, though. They are swiping four times as many bags, their ISO is up by 25-ish points, and their BABIP is an unsustainably low .270, which should augur for a tick up in results just by doing exactly what they’re doing now.

That’s OK. We all knew it wouldn’t be 100% fixed within the first 21 games of the first season of the Harris regime.

This is the awful thing about being a Tigers fan, looking to trade anyone that is remotely good in return for a bunch of crap prospects that probably will never make it to the majors.  Avila was more about getting quantity than quality in trades.  You can only have so many good field, no hit position players in your organization.