2023 Detroit Tigers Regular Season Discussion Thread

oblong

**** Javy.  Quickly on his way to becoming the least liked athlete in town.  Entitled piece of **** that puts in zero effort. I hope he gets booed relentlessly by the home crowd for the rest of his days as a Tiger.  

Edited by Hongbit

If it makes anyone feel any better, here is how the 2021 super 5 free agent shortstops are doing YTD in 2023:

Playing at an excellent level:  Seager

Playing like ****:  Semien, Correa (when he plays at all), Baez

Not playing, for the foreseeable future:  Story

So, it's sort of a cautionary tale about free agency.  It seems like the ROI on free agent contracts frequently ends up being perceived to be negative.

6 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

If it makes anyone feel any better, here is how the 2021 super 5 free agent shortstops are doing YTD in 2023:

Playing at an excellent level:  Seager

Playing like ****:  Semien, Correa (when he plays at all), Baez

Not playing, for the foreseeable future:  Story

So, it's sort of a cautionary tale about free agency.  It seems like the ROI on free agent contracts frequently ends up being perceived to be negative.

Short start to this season, though.  Semien & Seager were positives last season for the Rangers, Correa had one of his better seasons for the Twins.  Can't ignore that production.

But even with the good seasons, that's early in the contracts, and the ROI for the whole contract isn't justified solely by one season.  We saw that with MartinezV's final contract, we're seeing that with Cabrera's extension.  And Story definitely fits the cautionary tale.

The FA spend of San Diego is something to look at in a few years.  They've got a number of high dollar later in career liabilities in order to win now.  That could be very ugly in the future.

Its basically a foregone conclusion unless you get really lucky like the Nats did with Scherzer you are not going to get your ROI on big money FA deals, particularly at the end. 

You sign them on hopes that the first half of it they will help take you to the next level, having to live with an albatross for the last 3 years is ok if the player helped you win multiple divisions and make or win the World Series. 

On a side note its funny we had about a half dozen players we could've given big money deals in 2013-15 but the two we didn't in Scherzer and JD ended up being two of the rare players to end up being worth their FA contracts, meanwhile the guys we signed ended up being disasters whether they were our own players or outside guys.

I guess Verlander ended up being fine but most of that was due to what he did in Houston, while he was here he really was only elite for the 2016 season under the extension which is why we had to eat a third of the contract when we traded him.(btw how did that trade work out, I can't remember?)

Edited by RandyMarsh
  • Like 1

Not making excuses for Javy more than trying to find an explanation, but before he ended up a Tiger, everywhere he played before he wasn't "the guy" that people were supposed to look to. Even setting aside the poor play, he needs to step up his game as a teammate and be a role model on a younger team.

The fact that he's the one who got benched for dogging it and it was third year professional Spencer Torkelson in a post game interview having to give the "it's about accountability" line, that should be embarrassing to him as a professional 

Edited by mtutiger

14 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

If Maton is not a building block then Harris didn't make a very good trade. You have to get back Major leaguers - or at least eventual major leaguers, when you give up major leaguers.

Soto was simply not a great asset to trade. He may have been our closer, beloved by some, but he was The Little Girl Who Had a Little Curl who has been slotted in as the #5 guy in their bullpen—that’s 5 with an “f”—so I think expecting championship linchpins in return would have been excessive. If we get a few years of two guys who can start and be moderately effective, even if they don’t make it all the way to the first playoff year, I think we will have won that trade.

Cody S has a long article on Tiger catchers (framing, one knee vs two, lot more) today in Athletic. Really good piece.

So far in 2023, his strike rate is 50.7 percent, and he has noticeably improved atop the strike zone.

So far in 2023, Haase’s strike rates are up just like Rogers. He has a strike rate of 53.2 percent. His framing ranks in the league’s 90th percentile.

Dan and Jim were talking about the Tiger's catchers set ups during yesterday's broadcast. They said after the Toronto (?) series the catchers were now targeting the middle of the plate for the pitchers.

The thought was setting up on the corners was causing a lot of pitches to miss the zone, causing a lot of walks.

3 hours ago, mtutiger said:

I know Hitting Harold is the stuff of legends around here, but honestly despite all the hate when the acquisition initially happened, I think I'd rather have Zach McKinstry

McKinstry can draw walks and get on base (although he hasn't done that much at the Major League leavel to this point) and play defense.  Castro didn't really have any assets other than versatility.  

11 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

McKinstry can draw walks and get on base (although he hasn't done that much at the Major League leavel to this point) and play defense.  Castro didn't really have any assets other than versatility.  

I don’t think it can be called versatile if he can do a lot of different things below average-like.

15 hours ago, mtutiger said:

I know Hitting Harold is the stuff of legends around here, but honestly despite all the hate when the acquisition initially happened, I think I'd rather have Zach McKinstry

IMHO, Harold could hit and had a knack with it. However, walks were few and he had base running limitations and not much instinct with that part of his game. He was versatile, better than some gave credit for player - but by no means a standout at any position.

Zach is starting to grow on me as well. Not sure what type of career he may have but he hit go gap to gap, has some speed (both excellent for Comerica Park) and good baseball instincts - at least it seems that way, but that does not mean every player does not have a gaff now and then (Harold had several on the bases and did not seem instinctive there). Zach seems to have a game plan and knows the situation each time on base.

At this point perhaps the Tigs got a little better here and maybe at the least a decent role player for a period of time.