2023 Detroit Tigers Regular Season Discussion Thread

oblong

Well there is one month in the books for 2023. The Rangers-Pirates and Diamondbacks are all in first place. There are six teams worse than the Tigers so thats kinda progress. Jake Rodgers leads the team in OPS and War. Hopefully we have the catcher position filled which would be great. McKinstry and Verling look like players. Rodriguez and Lange look solid. Harris will probably trade both in July. Our "core 5" of Tork-Green-Mize-Skubal-Manning are either injured or not performing. Tork with a .575 OPS and a -0.3 War "leading" the way. Is it still too early to call "BUST" ? I hope not but count me concerned. Miggy has a sub .500 OPS and..well..nevermind.

May takes us out of the tough schedule to hopefully better things until Harris burns it down to the studs in July.

GO TIGERS ?

On 4/29/2023 at 9:03 AM, mtutiger said:

Continues to be one of the few bright spots this season... clear area of improvement 

It's a small sample for defensive numbers, but it's still good to see.  My nitpick here is that McCosky should leave out the dash between "plus" and the number, because it makes it look like a negative number, which of course would indicate bad fielding.  

18 hours ago, kdog said:

Haase, Baez, Cabrera, and Schoop have a combined 0 homeruns. Two guys are cooked; The other two have shown slugging potential in the past.

Baez' 20.2% SO% is easily the lowest of his career (28.4% lifetime).  His BB% are up.  But he's beating the ball into the ground rather than hitting line drives.

On 5/1/2023 at 6:45 PM, Toddwert said:

So Meadows is being sent to the 60 day IL …. Wonder if he just retires?

I’m not even thinking about Austin Meadows anymore. Not even on my radar. My expectation is that he never takes another at bat for us.

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I’m not even thinking about Austin Meadows anymore. Not even on my radar. My expectation is that he never takes another at bat for us.

True he’s kind of like Franklyn Perez in that way… if we get anything from him it’s a bonus but not expecting anything 

I don't think this is the case but without using hindsight I think really the only way you can be critical of that trade is if the Tigers were aware of Meadows issues or atleast had a suspicion but still went through with the trade thinking they could either correct them or that they weren't that big of deal. 

4 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I don't think this is the case but without using hindsight I think really the only way you can be critical of that trade is if the Tigers were aware of Meadows issues or atleast had a suspicion but still went through with the trade thinking they could either correct them or that they weren't that big of deal. 

That would actually not surprise me. 

So after getting our cosmic justice against Scherzer and Verlander, the Tigers are now 13-17. My over-under for the tough 40*-game stretch to start the season was 12-28, so … yeah, they should have that beat pretty good.

Here’s the funny thing: we now have three against the Cards, three against the Guards, and three against the M’s, all of whom were playoff teams last year, but now, all of whom are well under .500 as of this morning. And then the easy stretch was supposed to start in game 41 against the … you guessed it … PIRATES!

But then we have ten more against legitimately terrible teams (WSN, KCR, CHW).

Add it all up, and what the hell, I’m gonna say it: we have a puncher’s chance of being .500 on Memorial Day!

* - The Giants game that got rained out makes it 39 now.

• Like 1