SCOTUS and whatnot

pfife

1 hour ago, Archie said:

The Republicans said today they won't turn the confirmation hearing into a spectacle with lies and false charges against the nominee like the democrats did to Trump nominees.  Nice to see there are a few adults left in the government trying to do business.

adult like ted cruz, who took some time to hype his podcast?  i bet he has some cool crypto advice too.

look, these hearings are ridiculously stupid.  a dog and pony show for senators to check off a few boxes that will please their major donors and that they can use in campaign fundraising commercials.

"look at me emily's list and naral!  i totally railed at brett kavanaugh cause he's a rapist and amy barrett cause she's a religious freak!"  "look at me pro lifers as i totally skewer kentaji brown for wanting to kill babies!"

its all a joke.  dont pay attention to any of it.

1 hour ago, Archie said:

The Republicans said today they won't turn the confirmation hearing into a spectacle with lies and false charges against the nominee like the democrats did to Trump nominees.  Nice to see there are a few adults left in the government trying to do business.

The Republicans said!

1 hour ago, buddha said:

adult like ted cruz, who took some time to hype his podcast?  i bet he has some cool crypto advice too.

look, these hearings are ridiculously stupid.  a dog and pony show for senators to check off a few boxes that will please their major donors and that they can use in campaign fundraising commercials.

"look at me emily's list and naral!  i totally railed at brett kavanaugh cause he's a rapist and amy barrett cause she's a religious freak!"  "look at me pro lifers as i totally skewer kentaji brown for wanting to kill babies!"

its all a joke.  dont pay attention to any of it.

Yes, it maybe a waste of time but it still doesn't excuse the democrats behavior.  It's crossing a line to falsely accuse someone of rape.  The lessoned learned from that is the democrats will do anything to achieve power nothing is too low for them.

2 hours ago, Archie said:

Republicans always tell the truth

1 hour ago, Archie said:

Yes, it maybe a waste of time but it still doesn't excuse the democrats behavior.  It's crossing a line to falsely accuse someone of rape.  The lessoned learned from that is the democrats will do anything to achieve power nothing is too low for them.

i'm pretty sure both parties will do anything to stay in power.  republicans complaining about the democrats' tactics at the last confirmation is just silly politics.  republicans do the same thing.

hawley tried to trash kentaji brown for being "soft on criminals" as a judge for her sentences regarding sex offenders then legal twitter did its thing and showed that gorsuch and roberts had both ruled similarly to her in a supreme court case.  so stfu hawley.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Archie said:

I'm glad that you folks think its ok to falsely accuse someone of a crime. I bet you would be really happy to get accused of rape at your place of employment.

You literally falsely accused Trayvon Martin of a crime a few days ago.   Do better hoss

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

The fake tears and outrage from the beer drinker told me all I needed to know.

Much like the fake outrage I saw today...

you think kavanaugh had fake tears and outrage?  if someone falsely accuses you if rape in a public setting, you might be upset too.

nothing the republicans said to kentaji brown comes close to what the democrats accused kavanaugh of.

at the end of the day it is politics.  and those making noise on this board about the injustices done by democrats to poor little republicans will be the first to do the same to them if the tables were turned.  

there's no crying in politics (not even you, brett).

20 minutes ago, buddha said:

you think kavanaugh had fake tears and outrage?  if someone falsely accuses you if rape in a public setting, you might be upset too.

nothing the republicans said to kentaji brown comes close to what the democrats accused kavanaugh of.

at the end of the day it is politics.  and those making noise on this board about the injustices done by democrats to poor little republicans will be the first to do the same to them if the tables were turned.  

there's no crying in politics (not even you, brett).

I am pretty sure the outrage and tears were fake.  Do I know for sure he raped Christine Blasey Ford? No (I think he did).  But the outage and tears defintely looked fake.    

11 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I am pretty sure the outrage and tears were fake.  Do I know for sure he raped Christine Blasey Ford? No (I think he did).  But the outage and tears defintely looked fake.    

No, the outrage is real. It violates the first rule of the white frat boy privilege social compact to actually be held to account for an evening when you intentionally got liquored up just so you you could act irresponsibly. Nothing more unfair than to pull the rug out from under that pillar of Ivy League institutionalism. Simply too cruel. (...oh, you  mean the outrage on the *other* side?)

Whether it was legally rape or not is probably lost in the fog of decades old drunkenness, but I'm not sure that was ever the real point.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

No, the outrage is real. It violates the first rule of the white frat boy privilege social compact to actually be held to account for an evening when you intentionally got liquored up just so you you could act irresponsibly. Nothing more unfair than to pull the rug out from under that pillar of Ivy League institutionalism. Simply too cruel. (...oh, you  mean the outrage on the *other* side?)

Whether it was legally rape or not is probably lost in the fog of decades old drunkenness, but I'm not sure that was ever the real point.

The display he put on was fake.  He certainly could have been outraged internally for the reasons you state.  

Edited by Tiger337

1 minute ago, Tiger337 said:

The display he put on was fake.  He certainly could have been outraged internally for the reasons you state.  

if someone accused you of rape and you didnt do it (like kavanaugh says he didnt), how do you think you would you react?

10 minutes ago, buddha said:

i really have no idea.  none of us do.  however, they struck me as being greatly exaggerated.

OK, to be absolutely fair, I'm not sure a drunken frat night at 20 has to be exclusionary to ever serving on the SCOTUS as a premise, much like if you wanted to disqualify Thomas it should have been for being out in left field legally, not for telling blue jokes to Anita Hill, but then again I would absolutely have disqualified Kavanaugh for being a willing stooge of that idiot Starr - just as Bork was disqualified (really - not the cover) for not standing up for the DOJ against Nixon.

The reality is that the Dems were going to get their pound of flesh (deservedly) for Garland, and Kavanaugh had the bad luck to be the mark. That said, nothing he did during the episode gave me a shred of belief he is likely to be a good justice.

Edited by gehringer_2

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

OK, to be absolutely fair, I'm not sure a drunken frat night at 20 has to be exclusionary to ever serving on the SCOTUS as a premise, much like if you wanted to disqualify Thomas it should have been for being out in left field legally, not for telling blue jokes to Anita Hill, but then again I would absolutely have disqualified Kavanaugh for being a willing stooge of that idiot Starr - just as Bork was disqualified (really - not the cover) for standing up for the DOJ against Nixon.

The reality is that the Dems were going to get their pound of flesh (deservedly) for Garland, and Kavanaugh had the bad luck to be the mark. That said, nothing he did during the episode gave me a shred of belief he is likely to be a good justice.

the allegations against thomas were more disqualifying, imo.  thomas was someone's boss taking her out and making inappropriate comments.  the allegations against kavanaugh strike me as a drunken college episode that may have gone farther than she wanted.  and it was over 30 years ago.

kavanaugh strikes me as a middle of the road justice who will be fine if youre center right.  nothing special, nothing groundbreaking.  likely to have a non-descript career.  like breyer, but center right instead of left.

alito is becoming much more outspoken in his libertarianism and now he has gorsuch, who is not only smarter, but a much better writer.  thomas is thomas.  roberts is trying to herd cats and stay the center-right middle ground.  kavanaugh helps there because he seems to follow the chief more often than not.  we'll see if he develops his own voice as he gets more experience.

acb is a wild card.  i think she'll end up more to the right than the chief, but not as far as alito/thomas.

last thing, it will be interesting to see gorsuch and kentaji brown on civil liberties issues.  alito may be a libertarian on economics but he has never met a cop he didnt like.  unlike gorsuch who has taken over scalia's fifth amendment attitude, which should dovetail with kentaji browns.

7 minutes ago, buddha said:

acb is a wild card.  i think she'll end up more to the right than the chief, but not as far as alito/thomas.

So just as a matter life experience, I would say it is common, or at least not surprising,  for men's ideologies to harden as they age - but I wonder if there is any social science data on whether that is more or less or not at all different for women.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 minute ago, buddha said:

if someone accused you of rape and you didnt do it (like kavanaugh says he didnt), how do you think you would you react?

Given my life, I'd be confused if that ever happened to me.  I think women rarely make up stuff like that and if they do it's someone who they think deserves it based on other things he has done in his life. I know in the high profile political arena, it is less rare. 

I'm not really blaming him for putting on a fake display if he didn't do it.  I am pretty sure it was staged though.  If he was outraged, I would guess it was for the reasons Gehringer stated.