SCOTUS and whatnot

pfife

2 hours ago, buddha said:

there isnt bipartisan support for the voting rights act, but i thought there was some bipartisan support for amending the electoral act?  i could be wrong though, its been a while aince i heard anything about it.

Granted not from the senate, but Rep Ro Khanna stated a few days ago that there are already 60 votes in the Senate for the Electoral act and it will be passed before the mid-terms.

Now a voting rights act, there isn't bipartisanship on it, but I wish they would just pass some blanket law.  In the name of coming together, just model the new law on New York's, that way Georgia gets more restrictive voting they even have now in the name of security, but Democrats feel good about saving democracy.

5 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

An hour wait is not easy.  If it took that long for me I probably wouldn't bother most years.  It takes me about 15 minutes to vote in person.  

If it's that long, there should be an honor system where you find someone in line voting the opposite of you, you handshake on it, and leave.  Recent episode of Curb your Enthusiasm with this was great.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, buddha said:

there isnt bipartisan support for the voting rights act, but i thought there was some bipartisan support for amending the electoral act?  i could be wrong though, its been a while aince i heard anything about it.

No... the Electoral Act is the hot issue right now since voting rights aren't going anywhere.

You've remembered correctly. We may be seeing something soon on the Electoral Act if it's not back-burnered by other pending issues (Russia, China, another push on BBB, Supreme Court nominee, etc...).

4 hours ago, buddha said:

general, its very easy to vote in this country.

If you’ve reached middle age and never had an episode where it took you 2+ Hrs at least once you are lucky. I’ve ended up in long lines in the Det burbs, Ann Arbor, Minneapolis. That’s the thing, its unreliable even in white suburbia. If you go to vote on a lunch hr, you never know if you are still going to get lunch. That may not make it “hard” by some definition, but it shouldn’t be the way it is 

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

If you’ve reached middle age and never had an episode where it took you 2+ Hrs at least once you are lucky. I’ve ended up in long lines in the Det burbs, Ann Arbor, Minneapolis. That’s the thing, its unreliable even in white suburbia. If you go to vote on a lunch hr, you never know if you are still going to get lunch. That may not make it “hard” by some definition, but it shouldn’t be the way it is 

then volunteer to be a poll worker.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Now we are complaining just to complain. We have always waited in lines, the evil repubs didn't create that. Maybe shadow repubs I dunno.

Actually, they have. They are closing polling locations in Georgia and Texas. There is no reason to have fewer polling locations in areas where the population is increasing. 

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

that might be on the list after I retire

my wife did it.  she liked it.

but its a long day.

the real issue is that its run by state and local officials.  america's issue with so many different units of authority spread out all over this vast country of ours, not every one has the same rules and abilities as others.  so you get a hodge podge of different voting scenarios.

i think the longest ive ever waited to vote was 15 minutes, but i go as soon as the polling place opens and its right across the street from me now.  not everyone has that kind of luxury.

when i was in college i took the local bus to the polling place, that's about as far as ive ever gone to vote.

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

Actually, they have. They are closing polling locations in Georgia and Texas. There is no reason to have fewer polling locations in areas where the population is increasing. 

That’s a different situation than the one you were speaking to.  

The closing of polling locations should not happen. Waiting in a line for 2 two hours should feel more like a badge of honor, some have sacrificed so you can.

4 minutes ago, oblong said:

Right?  Like show some damn gratitude.  Your forefathers and mothers couldn’t even vote. Be glad for what you got and shut up. The adults are talking. 

I was speaking to the respect we should give to the election process. The conversation was going from we are losing voters rights to complaining about wait time in past elections. 

17 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I was speaking to the respect we should give to the election process. The conversation was going from we are losing voters rights to complaining about wait time in past elections. 

but in an economy where so many people live pay check to pay check in a gig economy, it's really the same thing. Voting that ends up coming at time cost is voting that comes at economic cost which is a voting right that is being fundamentally denied. The founders set elections for November when the crops were in but before winter hit hard, when gentleman farmers had nothing but time on their hands and movement was still possible. Even they clearly intended to make voting as easy as possible.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

In 2008 I waited over two hours to vote Obama (who won Indiana). There were lots of republicans crossing over. No one in line complained around me.

Well they should have. That’s ridiculous. And to say that waiting two hours somehow is a test to see if  you’re grateful …. let’s just say, keep your badge of honor. 

7 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

Well they should have. That’s ridiculous. And to say that waiting two hours somehow is a test to see if  you’re grateful …. let’s just say, keep your badge of honor. 

No Mam, I saw men crying for their mothers as they lay dying excruciating deaths. They sacrificed more than an inconvenience of a long line. a small sacrifice to wait in line if it means so many people are able to vote freely. Sorry it offends anyone.

33 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

but in an economy where so many people live pay check to pay check in a gig economy, it's really the same thing. Voting that ends up coming at time cost is voting that comes at economic cost which is a voting right that is being fundamentally denied. The founders set elections for November when the crops were in but before winter hit hard, when gentleman farmers had nothing but time on their hands and movement was still possible. Even they clearly intended to make voting as easy as possible.

Now you are reaching back to gentlemen farmers whatever those were. There are multiple ways to vote today that Ezekiel didn’t have access to.

Edited by Tigeraholic1

12 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

No Mam, I saw men crying for their mothers as they lay dying excruciating deaths. They sacrificed more than an inconvenience of a long line. a small sacrifice to wait in line if it means so many people are able to vote freely. Sorry it offends anyone.

Well I’m sorry if I’m gonna tell you one has absolutely nothing to do with the other. It’s a false equivalency. And my father a World War II veteran, and my uncle a World War II in Korean war veteran, and my brother-in-law a Vietnam war veteran, would all call that a false equivalency also.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

Well I’m sorry if I’m gonna tell you one has absolutely nothing to do with the other. It’s a false equivalency. And my father a World War II veteran, and my uncle a World War II in Korean war veteran, and my brother-in-law a Vietnam war veteran, would all call that a false equivalency also.

You don’t think any of them had to wait in excessive lines to vote through all that lineage? I was talking exclusively about line waiting not voting rights. 

Edited by Tigeraholic1