SCOTUS and whatnot

pfife

11 minutes ago, buddha said:

the allegations against thomas were more disqualifying, imo.  thomas was someone's boss taking her out and making inappropriate comments.  the allegations against kavanaugh strike me as a drunken college episode that may have gone farther than she wanted.  and it was over 30 years ago.

That is possible, but it is also what men always say when they blame the victim.  I know of several women who have been raped and they were very reluctant to say anything about it until much later because they were afraid of being blamed.  

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

That is possible, but it is also what men always say when they blame the victim.  I know of several women who have been raped and they were very reluctant to say anything about it until much later because they were afraid of being blamed.  

like all those frat boys from duke who raped that stripper.  or all those frat boys from virginia who raped that girl who ran to rolling stone? 

look, i'm jaded because of my job.  i see these things when people want money and say all sorts of things to get it (see watson, deshaun).  so perhaps i'm not the best person to ask.  lol.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

if someone accused you of rape and you didnt do it (like kavanaugh says he didnt), how do you think you would you react?

They were real, not like Rittenhouse, but I agree with the others that are the reasons were suspect. What was done to him is what he helped do to Monica Lewinsky during that whole fiasco which he was a part of so i shed no tears for him even if he was innocent.  I see it as karma.   I don’t care if he was just a lawyer doing his job.  He could have gotten another job. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, buddha said:

look, i'm jaded because of my job.  i see these things when people want money and say all sorts of things to get it (see watson, deshaun).  so perhaps i'm not the best person to ask.  lol.

The actions of the dishonest have always been what raises the bar on the burden of proof for the honest. C'est la vie. Speak softly, carry a big stick, video record everything........

:classic_wink:

Edited by gehringer_2

45 minutes ago, oblong said:

They were real, not like Rittenhouse, but I agree with the others that are the reasons were suspect. What was done to him is what he helped do to Monica Lewinsky during that whole fiasco which he was a part of so i shed no tears for him even if he was innocent.  I see it as karma.   I don’t care if he was just a lawyer doing his job.  He could have gotten another job. 

Ketanji was only doing her job as a public defender.   Hilarious how much these guys hate the constitution

1 hour ago, oblong said:

what goes around sometimes comea around.

otoh clinton definitely did it.

I watched a thing on Lewinsky last year and realized they were all rotten to her. Yes it was a consensual relationship between two adults but the power dynamic is there, he’s the freaking president, she was a 14 year old girl in 22 year old woman’s body. Frankly a president having an affair with someone in the government should be a fireable offense. Especially with an intern.  I felt that way then but not for the right reasons. I just hated the guy.  

21 minutes ago, oblong said:

I watched a thing on Lewinsky last year and realized they were all rotten to her. Yes it was a consensual relationship between two adults but the power dynamic is there, he’s the freaking president, she was a 14 year old girl in 22 year old woman’s body. Frankly a president having an affair with someone in the government should be a fireable offense. Especially with an intern.  I felt that way then but not for the right reasons. I just hated the guy.  

I felt about Clinton the way so many people feel about Trump: Why don't they see he is snake oil salesman? Now the huge difference is that Trump is a snake oil salesman who is also a terrible, malicious, bigoted, dangerous leader. Clinton was just a snake-oil salesman who was personally venal but otherwise not a horrible political leader. But the Dems still should not have allowed him to stay in office after lying to the GJ. And the tragedy was that as goofy as Al Gore was in public as a campaigner, he probably would have been a much more competent President than Shrub and likely would have been re-elected running as the incumbent. But the average Democrat will still never admit that the party was wrong. Granted Starr was wrong to have ever made it about sex, but as they say two wrongs don't make a right - though ironically in this case that is exactly what they did make - a GOP presidency. :classic_laugh:

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I felt about Clinton the way so many people feel about Trump: Why don't they see he is snake oil salesman? Now the huge difference is that Trump is a snake oil salesman who is also a terrible, malicious, bigoted, dangerous leader. Clinton was just a snake-oil salesman who was personally venal but otherwise not a horrible political leader. But the Dems still should not have allowed him to stay in office after lying to the GJ.

I disagree that Clinton wasn't a horrible political leader. Outside of Reagan, policy wise, Bubba did more damage to this country than almost anyone, more than Trump I would argue. I would argue that Clinton's policy failures are partly to blame for the rise of Trump and right-wing fascism. Had Clinton embraded the legacy of FDR and worked to build on it, instead of trying to run to the right of it, we may be in a very different place as a country and the Democratic Party certainly would have been better off politically.

Bubba's strident belief in deregulation, tough on crime, and free trade wrecked havoc on the middle class and working poor. He gutted welfare and social safety nets in this country and threw millions into extreme poverty. He poured gasoline on the fire of the argument that blacks were a bunch of lazy criminals who needed to be thrown off welfare and into the workforce. He surrounded himself with a whose, who of terrible economic and policy advisors like Bob Rubin, Larry Summers, Dick Morris. I don't need to go through the litany of terrible Clinton policies because we both know them all.

2 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I disagree that Clinton wasn't a horrible political leader. Outside of Reagan, policy wise, Bubba did more damage to this country than almost anyone, more than Trump I would argue.

I think Clinton bought the globalist line on economics hook, line and sinker, and has turned out wrong like the rest,  but I think you are being a little unfair on policy because at that point the failures of the Reagan program had not become clear and I would argue there was very little progressive/liberal political sympathy in the voting public to swing back leftward yet. Policy wise Clinton was a fair reflection of where the public was mostly. You can fairly blame him for not being a better leader pushing against prevailing opinions, but that's a high bar for any pol. But policy is still policy and it's always debatable. Trump was in a class by himself in his disregard for institutional integrity.

I was going to say that I'll give you all the bad policy charges against Clinton you want, but he was never that kind of institutional danger to the republic except that as I have stated, I do believe that the fact that we let him get away with such bald faced lying in the WH was one of the big things helping US politics' decent into the mess it is. But in the end it wasn't his fault we enabled him the way we did.