SCOTUS and whatnot

pfife

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Those commandments are the end of the tablet are pretty stupid, too. A commandment against coveting your neighbor's goods? Isn't coveting what our entire market economy is based on? 😏

Maybe, we are damned if we do and damned if we don't

This discussion reminds me of George Carlin's bit on the 10 commandments.  

5 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Funny how we want to take religion out of everything yet all of our founding documents have God written all over them. Currency, Capital Building, Supreme Court etc God.... I know once all of the historically questionable statues come down anything God related in the Government will be next. Don't you take the oath of office with your hand on a bible? I am not trying to ba a bible thumper but why is it so important NOT to reflect on a moral foundation? The 10 Commandments are a pretty reasonable way to guide your life no matter what you believe.

A couple of things. In God We Trust didn't become the Official motto of the US until 1956 replacing E pluribus unum. It wasn't officially added to coins until 1955 when Pres Eisenhower signed legislation requiring the phrased be used on currency. It had been used sporadically since about 1864.

Under God was added to the Pledge of Allegiance in 1954 by presidential proclamation.

While there may have some support during the founding period, the biggest push came in reaction to the cold war. Mostly by conservatives pushing back from New Deal policies.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

As someone who travels a lot to red rural areas of New Hampshire, I feel safer in those areas than I do in the big cities which I try to avoid. 

You sound like one of the locals that G2 lifts his nose to in the east berlin side of his county in Michigan. 🤪 

Edited by Tigeraholic1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

A couple of things. In God We Trust didn't become the Official motto of the US until 1956 replacing E pluribus unum. It wasn't officially added to coins until 1955 when Pres Eisenhower signed legislation requiring the phrased be used on currency. It had been used sporadically since about 1864.

Under God was added to the Pledge of Allegiance in 1954 by presidential proclamation.

While there may have some support during the founding period, the biggest push came in reaction to the cold war. Mostly by conservatives pushing back from New Deal policies.

So why do we even swear on a Bible in court? Seems like a needless step at this point.

52 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

So why do we even swear on a Bible in court? Seems like a needless step at this point.

Quick search indicates it goes back to 9th century England. The belief was a liar would lie in court. A copy of the bible or gospel might stop him from lying.

Personally, I feel a 1945 Boy Scout Handbook would be a better option.

10 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Quick search indicates it goes back to 9th century England. The belief was a liar would lie in court. A copy of the bible or gospel might stop him from lying.

Personally, I feel a 1945 Boy Scout Handbook would be a better option.

The Bill James Historical Abstract

I'm an Eagle Scout (once an Eagle...) of course that happened in the late 60s. Tried to get my son involved back in the late '80s early '90s. He showed a bit of interest and tried Scouting for a year or so. I was not very impressed with the troop. I was involved on a small basis but it seemed to me the adult leaders were more interested in making fabulous meals than woking with the kids.

Times change, too many other outside activities.

The 1948 Handbook and Field Book are the best ever survival books ever.

1 hour ago, oblong said:

Lack of leaders was also an issue. Not a lack of parents telling us what we should be doing CV though. 

That seems to always be the case. When my son started Cubs I was told I had to be den leader or he couldn't join. I believe they gave me all the problem/rowdy kids. My schedule would accommodate meetings in the evenings or Sat mornings. Sports kinda killed Saturday so I scheduled meetings for 7 (I got out of work at 6:30) then feed the kids cookies at the end of the meeting to send them home hyper. When I asked parents in the den for help I got no response.