SCOTUS and whatnot

pfife

So, this.

Serious question: could the 50 Republicans, plus Manchin and/or Sinema, delay confirming a replacement justice long enough to enable Trump to come in and replace Breyer in 2025? The question is not whether they would do that if they could—we all know the answer to that. My question is, could they technically accomplish this?

9 minutes ago, chasfh said:

So, this.

Serious question: could the 50 Republicans, plus Manchin and/or Sinema, delay confirming a replacement justice long enough to enable Trump to come in and replace Breyer in 2025? The question is not whether they would do that if they could—we all know the answer to that. My question is, could they technically accomplish this?

My immediate thought, too

10 minutes ago, chasfh said:

So, this.

manchin and sinema wont do that.

btw, about damn time breyer.  retire before november elections!

9 minutes ago, buddha said:

manchin and sinema wont do that.

btw, about damn time breyer.  retire before november elections!

Are you guessing, or do you know for a fact? I could see the assumption that literally any nominee would become a radical commie leftist fifth column Chinese plant, leading a senator from West Virginia to hem and haw long enough to run out the clock. 

Just now, oblong said:

I don’t think any drama will happen. Heck even Graham might go along.  With no shift occurring it gives them an opportunity to be “bipartisan” 

Good point on Graham.... he's been inconsistent on almost everything else, but the only thing he seems to remain firm on is his view on the Senates role wrt advice and consent.

17 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Are you guessing, or do you know for a fact? I could see the assumption that literally any nominee would become a radical commie leftist fifth column Chinese plant, leading a senator from West Virginia to hem and haw long enough to run out the clock. 

i'm guessing.  same as everyone else.

4 minutes ago, oblong said:

But if something happens to Alito or Clarence on Biden’s watch then there will be games. 

Maybe all that Coke Clearance Thomas has been drinking over years catches up with him. I don't wish ill will on Thomas at all, it's just that he's the oldest Justice on the court now that Breyer is retiring.

13 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Lisa Murkowski wouldn't either, along with Collins and Romney.

He'll get to replace Breyer

the new judge will be pro abortion, so you wont get romney.  but i think you will get collins and maybe murkowski too.  and you'll get all the democrats.

and since it is replacing a liberal with another liberal, you wont get much pushback from republicans.

34 minutes ago, oblong said:

I don’t think any drama will happen. Heck even Graham might go along.  With no shift occurring it gives them an opportunity to be “bipartisan” 

This would be politically smart.  Remember the leader of the party lives down in Florida though.

6 minutes ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

I saw also that Sinema and Machin have approved all of Biden’s federal judge nominees, so I don’t see this being any different. Biden will get his nominee with all democrats and maybe a couple republicans. 

Even a Clyburn-recommended “liberal black woman”? I’d love to see that one play out.

35 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Even a Clyburn-recommended “liberal black woman”? I’d love to see that one play out.

biden has nominated the most diverse and very liberal set of justices nominated to the lower courts.  he's been able to get more of them passed tham trump, a lot more.  nary a peep from sinema and manchin.

youre wrong on this one.

1 hour ago, smr-nj said:

My immediate thought, too

It won't happen. At the very least I hope the Republicans would come up with false accusations and treat the nominee the way the dems treated the Trump nominees.  I doubt they would thought. They can do some low things but they wouldn't stoop as low as the democrats. What ever they do they need to make it very tough on them.

• Haha 4

36 minutes ago, buddha said:

biden has nominated the most diverse and very liberal set of justices nominated to the lower courts.  he's been able to get more of them passed tham trump, a lot more.  nary a peep from sinema and manchin.

youre wrong on this one.

All I said is that I love to see your "liberal black woman" scenario play out. I made no prediction about that.

If the media isn't biased we will hear a flood of takes about Cocaine Mitch now reaping what he sowed with getting rid of filibuster on SCOTUS.    

I mean we were flooded with it for the Dems when it's only a theoretical possibility,  this is it happening. 

1 hour ago, Archie said:

It won't happen. At the very least I hope the Republicans would come up with false accusations and treat the nominee the way the dems treated the Trump nominees.  I doubt they would thought. They can do some low things but they wouldn't stoop as low as the democrats. What ever they do they need to make it very tough on them.

Ok chief