04/26/2023 1:40pm EDT Detroit Tigers vs Milwaukee Brewers

casimir

Just now, buddha said:

they draw ire because theyre both really bad right now and were really bad last year.  ire is understandable when your bonus babies are floundering.

I'm not surprised they are drawing ire.... I'm just saying that Spencer is taking the lions' share of it. When Riley looks worse currently.

It's part "box score scouting", but also just working off last year's notes.

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

I'm not surprised they are drawing ire.... I'm just saying that Spencer is taking the lions' share of it. When Riley looks worse currently.

It's part "box score scouting", but also just working off last year's notes.

box score scouting is the only kind i can do!

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

OK.

Just declare him a bust and move on lol

youre happy with how he's playing now?  just pencil in 200/300/350 for the next decade and call it a day.  lol.

he's not a bust yet for sure.  but if he is still hitting like this next year?  

I think criticism of and concern about Greene and Torkelson are warranted.  Greene was OK for a rookie last year, but is bad so far this year.  Torkelson has not gotten results either year.  Sure, he hits the ball hard, but until he starts getting results, it is concerning.   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, buddha said:

box score scouting is the only kind i can do!

We have statcast numbers now too which go beyond the boxscore, although sometimes they get over used.  I agree that at some point they need good box score results or they just won't be good hitters.      

1 minute ago, Tiger337 said:

I think criticism of and concern about Greene and Torkelson are warranted.  Greene was OK for a rookie last year, but is bad so far this year.  Torkelson has not gotten results either year.  Sure, he hits the ball hard, but until he starts getting results, it is concerning.   

Concerning, yes, absolutely.... I just think G2's posts about Exit Velo wrt Tork is an example of trying to add context or perspective. There's nothing wrong with that, not sure why it's getting mocked.

5 minutes ago, buddha said:

youre happy with how he's playing now?  just pencil in 200/300/350 for the next decade and call it a day.  lol.

he's not a bust yet for sure.  but if he is still hitting like this next year?  

That’s for next year TORK! to worry about. This year TORK! got work to do. 

to be clear, i'm not mocking Tork's exit velo numbers, but there has to be more to the story.  he's hitting the ball hard.  did all through ST and 22 games or whatever we are into the season.  the results aren't there.  seems like hitting it hard isn't enough and there's something else he needs to do.  to the extent that this reflects my ire, it's because he does seem so close, yet he isn't there.  Greene just isn't good right now, so it is less maddening. 

If you are basing the trajectory of the rebuild on Tork and Greene, then you are going to be disappointed; Or you are Al Avila and unemployed. 

It was already asking a lot and they were clearly not ready to carry a team into the next phase on their own.

Edited by kdog

8 minutes ago, theroundsquare said:

to be clear, i'm not mocking Tork's exit velo numbers, but there has to be more to the story.  he's hitting the ball hard.  did all through ST and 22 games or whatever we are into the season.  the results aren't there.  seems like hitting it hard isn't enough and there's something else he needs to do.  to the extent that this reflects my ire, it's because he does seem so close, yet he isn't there.  Greene just isn't good right now, so it is less maddening. 

Tork has been incredibly frustrating this year for all the reasons you state, no doubt. And your comment wasn't really what I was referring to either.

I appreciate the contextualizing that G2 was sharing (and some of what one can draw from Statcast) because it helps given an idea of where a hitter is at and where they need to improve. I don't see it as excuses for poor play or a lack of concern.

Baez, Schoop and Cabrera are the guys getting paid big money to provide offense and they are failing miserably. I can't fault the young kids who should probably be at AAA. I am worried that years of control are potentially wasted right now on a team that isn't competing for anything.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kdog said:

The #1 criticism of the Avila regime was no depth. When Greene and Tork didn't produce immediately, it exposed how little we got from the scorched earth tank job.

But the MLB baseball draft is a crapshoot. I remember when Mize, Manning, Greene and Torkelson were drafted, they were considered best picks on the board. Yes, some players drafted later turned out to be really good, right now. Right now, Greene is slumping (as every player does at some point). And Tork is smoking the ball. When those start missing fielders, his numbers will look better. And if these guys don't start producing, Harris may decide to cut bait and bring in his own picks. After all, HE didn't draft these guys. We'll see who Harris picks with the 3rd pick this season.