2023 NFL Draft As-It-Happens

3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Gibbs isn't just a rusher, he's also a pass catcher. I've seen comparisons to Kamara who's someone who averages around 1,300 all purpose yards and double digit TDs. Goff and the Rams went to a Super Bowl with a strong run game. They probably could have got him later but whatever. I don't like the Campbell pick but teams did run over the Lions at times. The Eagles game and the Seattle game come to mind. They simply couldn't stop them to get the ball back. There's also the Carolina game. 

lions needed a talent upgrade at linebacker....but they probably could have done that later.

they passed on the best run stopper in the draft when they let carter go.

10 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Yes, if you're playing football in the 1980s then a traditional, run stopping MLB, who can't cover in space or rush the QB and a RB would be great picks. Gregg Lloyd and Ricky Watters were great players in the 1990s, but I wouldn't draft them today in the first round because they don't fit where today's game is going.

I love how the guy with the highest coverage grade of all college lb on the nations top defense can’t cover

Just now, RandyMarsh said:

For YEARS I've heard people bitch about the Lions not having a LB that can run sideline to sideline, keep up with TEs up the middle or be able to help stuff the run. Now when they get a guy that projects to do that suddenly it isn't important and outdated. 

We need a LB who can drop back and cover in space and we need a run stopper. I do like Campbell as a pick, just not when pass rushing options like Nolan Smith are still on the board. If Campbell were a coverage LB who could come and play the run and cover in space, I'd have no issue taking him in the first. He is your traditional, old school, Gregg Lloyd-type MLB that will come up the middle and stuff the run. That's great for the second round but not the first IMO.

6 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Gibbs isn't just a rusher, he's also a pass catcher. I've seen comparisons to Kamara who's someone who averages around 1,300 all purpose yards and double digit TDs. Goff and the Rams went to a Super Bowl with a strong run game. They probably could have got him later but whatever. I don't like the Campbell pick but teams did run over the Lions at times. The Eagles game and the Seattle game come to mind. They simply couldn't stop them to get the ball back. There's also the Carolina game. 

Maybe they look at Gibbs as more of an all around offensive player/threat, ex both as RB & WR. This way they get one player for/with two purposes.

Edited by alex

I'll grade this draft on Draft Night in 2026.       We talk about people having 2nd round draft grades.   Who's second round draft grades?  Mel Kiper?  The other guy who isn't Mel Kiper who's name I can't think of right now?    The Lions have their own way of measuring guys, the famous GPS (Game Play Speed) formula and maybe these two players were high up on their board.    I don't know.    You don't know.   We'll just have to see how it works out when they play.   So far Holmes has been pretty good in the draft, I'll just step back and let it play out.  

3 minutes ago, KL2 said:

I love how the guy with the highest coverage grade of all college lb on the nations top defense can’t cover

https://thedraftnetwork.com/sr-prospect/jack-campbell-d213e4cd-9072-4d5b-bd52-05f43d4151c0/

Top Reasons For Concern:

Modest range
Tight lower half
Man coverage skill set

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jack-campbell/32004341-4d36-4731-433d-b35acfc680bc

Weaknesses:
Plays conservatively on his second-level perch.
Initial diagnosis movements lack suddenness.
Allows climbing blockers into frame before punching.
Needs to play off blocker with better efficiency.
Tall center of gravity slows change of direction in open field.
Lacking desired short-area burst in pursuit.
Long legs hinder ability to match in man coverage.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

Just now, alex said:

Maybe they look at Gibbs as more of an all around offensive player/threat, ex both as RB & WR. This way they kind get one player for/with two purposes.

That's exactly what he is.   If people think Jameson was just going run nothing but deep routes, they're crazy.  Jameson's strength was going going to be catching balls between 10-20 yards downfield and then using his speed.  That's what this guy can do, but he can do it in a number of ways.  They will line this guy up in the slot, on the outside and in the backfield.   They love using creative plays, this guy helps them do that. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jason_R said:

If accurate that would have made him the fastest ball carrier in the NFL last season by almost 0.7 mph.  

Love the speed.  I'm a little worried about durability.  He's 199 lbs.  Campbell looks slow and stiff. Maybe his GPS data is better.

1 minute ago, Motor City Sonics said:

That's exactly what he is.   If people think Jameson was just going run nothing but deep routes, they're crazy.  Jameson's strength was going going to be catching balls between 10-20 yards downfield and then using his speed.  That's what this guy can do, but he can do it in a number of ways.  They will line this guy up in the slot, on the outside and in the backfield.   They love using creative plays, this guy helps them do that. 

My therapist wants your number..... You're making me feel a lot better pretty quick.........

2 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/sr-prospect/jack-campbell-d213e4cd-9072-4d5b-bd52-05f43d4151c0/

Top Reasons For Concern:

Modest range
Tight lower half
Man coverage skill set

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jack-campbell/32004341-4d36-4731-433d-b35acfc680bc

Weaknesses
Plays conservatively on his second-level perch.
Initial diagnosis movements lack suddenness.
Allows climbing blockers into frame before punching.
Needs to play off blocker with better efficiency.
Tall center of gravity slows change of direction in open field.
Lacking desired short-area burst in pursuit.
Long legs hinder ability to match in man coverage.

Ok guess whatever pundits who have gotten lots wrong tonight outweighs game tape and grade

good counter point

3 minutes ago, sagnam said:

Love the speed.  I'm a little worried about durability.  He's 199 lbs.  Campbell looks slow and stiff. Maybe his GPS data is better.

They’ll have to catch him first. Once Jaymo gets back this team will have crazy speed. 

2 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

My therapist wants your number..... You're making me feel a lot better pretty quick.........

I was disappointed with the pick at 12, but let it play out.  This guy is a weapon.  They can keep him and still keep Swift.   I don't mind the Campbell pick .   They needed LBs and this idea that he can't cover.........they said that about Chris Spielman too, but Chris played faster than his 40 speed.............Chris had a much higher GPS.    I think Campbell is going to play like that and yes, Spielman was taken in the 2nd round, but he played like a first round player.    Just let it play out. 

2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I kind of hope they trade up or something. Don't really want three 2nd round picks. 

Why?   They Lions didn't need to fill a big hole this year like normal.  They were going for depth in this draft.  3 second rounders helps with that.    Maybe they still believe in Levi at DT.  Maybe he really is healthy and ready to go.     Nolan Smith is still out there, right?