2023 NFL Draft As-It-Happens

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

I do too but lets slow our roll on Seattle. Most everyone here would have considered Witherspoon a reach for the Lions especially after passing on Carter and Wilson. 

i really dont get the campbell pick other than "he's a team captain and he's gritty."  not a great value position especially with jsn still on the board.  i guess maybe jsn's medical history scared them away.

3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I do too but lets slow our roll on Seattle. Most everyone here would have considered Witherspoon a reach for the Lions especially after passing on Carter and Wilson. 

All that I said was that Seattle got better players.

Just now, buddha said:

i really dont get the campbell pick other than "he's a team captain and he's gritty."  not a great value position especially with jsn still on the board.  i guess maybe jsn's medical history scared them away.

I don't get some of the LB decisions either. Ironically, Malcolm Rodriguez was a great pick. 

2 minutes ago, Cruzer1 said:

I love both players, doesn't matter where they were taken, but it does matter that the Lions got them.

I agree with this.  In many of the mock drafts I did I had the Lions taking both of these players because I felt like they were excellent fits.  I just had a 2nd round grade on them but that doesn't mean the rest of the NFL feels that way.

Just now, RandyMarsh said:

They got the consensus number 2 RB and according to many top inside LB in the draft. They both definitely appear to be reaches based off online mocks but those aren't gospel. At the very least they drafted top tier players at their respective positions. 

Yes, if you're playing football in the 1980s then a traditional, run stopping MLB, who can't cover in space or rush the QB and a RB would be great picks. Gregg Lloyd and Ricky Watters were great players in the 1990s, but I wouldn't draft them today in the first round because they don't fit where today's game is going.

3 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Yes, if you're playing football in the 1980s then a traditional, run stopping MLB, who can't cover in space or rush the QB and a RB would be great picks. Gregg Lloyd and Ricky Watters were great players in the 1990s, but I wouldn't draft them today in the first round because they don't fit where today's game is going.

We just added 3 backfield studs. Shoring up the LB position doesn't seem like such a bad idea.... Now given, I'd have made other picks but I really hope Brad knows what he's doing. He's earned some slack.....

1 minute ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

For YEARS I've heard people bitch about the Lions not having a LB that can run sideline to sideline, keep up with TEs up the middle or be able to help stuff the run. Now when they get a guy that projects to do that suddenly it isn't important and outdated. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Gibbs isn't just a rusher, he's also a pass catcher. I've seen comparisons to Kamara who's someone who averages around 1,300 all purpose yards and double digit TDs. Goff and the Rams went to a Super Bowl with a strong run game. They probably could have got him later but whatever. I don't like the Campbell pick but teams did run over the Lions at times. The Eagles game and the Seattle game come to mind. They simply couldn't stop them to get the ball back. There's also the Carolina game. 

13 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Why pay Anzalone just to draft Campbell this high?

Because it’s a team friendly deal that they can easily move on from and have tons of cap space and anzalone is a really good depth guy, he got better as the year went on. Anzalone contract is marginal.