05/05/2023 8:15pm EDT Detroit Tigers vs St. Louis Cardinals

casimir

3 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

100%.  A ball can pass through a 3 dimensional strike zone and still hit the catcher in the shoes.

yup - In fact I'd say in general one of the reasons that so few guys throw the curve anymore is that so many umps don't give the pitcher the whole K zone on a good curve.

Just now, gehringer_2 said:

yup - In fact I'd say in general one of the reasons that so few guys throw the curve anymore is that so many umps don't give the pitcher the whole K zone on a good curve.

Absolutely true.  You hope for a swing and miss, knowing that you won't get a called strike.

13 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

That's a change that has happened gradually over the last 4 or 5 decades I think.  Guys like Camilo Pascual and Bert Blyleven used to make a living throwing curveballs, they must have been getting called strikes.  Then the slider came along, late 60's maybe, and it was easier for umpires to call.  Maybe over time they lost the ability to call the curveball, and pitchers stopped throwing it.

7 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Prigozhin is a Cardinals fan.

I did a diorama on Missouri in elementary school.  I think I was excited they had multiple MLB teams.  I was too young to remember 1968 (was born in 1967) so the sting of that wasn't so painful.  2006 alas...i felt/feel.

1 minute ago, romad1 said:

I did a diorama on Missouri in elementary school.  I think I was excited they had multiple MLB teams.  I was too young to remember 1968 (was born in 1967) so the sting of that wasn't so painful.  2006 alas...i felt/feel.

You got an A because you knew that Kansas City was in Missouri!

• Haha 1

Regarding Junior Valentine, it has to be stated that his zone was pretty wide all game and to both sides. The strikeout called third early on to Haase with men in base is a good example. And he was calling those balls at the bottom of the zone fairly consistently.

Not saying he got those calls right or wrong in the 9th, but it is what it is

3 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Wait. You mean Kansas City isn't in KANSAS?

Whose dumb idea is that?

8 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Oh and by the way, there wasn't any sting to get over from 1968 🙂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

Oh and by the way, there wasn't any sting to get over from 1968 🙂

I remember in 06 we played the Cardinals in interleague play and a few Cardinals fans were sitting in front of us, we jokingly went back and forth with each other about our teams and they said something along the lines of "You guys are too young to remember 68, that still stings to us Cardinals fans, we'll pay you back someday" little did I know then that they were going to get their revenge later that year!

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I remember in 06 we played the Cardinals in interleague play and a few Cardinals fans were sitting in front of us, we jokingly went back and forth with each other about our teams and they said something along the lines of "You guys are too young to remember 68, that still stings to us Cardinals fans, we'll pay you back someday" little did I know then that they were going to get their revenge later that year!

I was [un]fortunate enough to be at Game 5 in St Louis, to date my only Tigers World Series game. So many things about that game: future Tiger ace Juston Verlander facing off against ersatz Tiger “ace” Jeff Weaver; yet another error pitcher leading to runs; losing the series on a Brandon Inge strikeout with the tying run on first; freezing my ass off all game like it was April at Wrigley Field; descending the stands to leave the stadium right after the last out while everyone else stayed in the stands to celebrate, all the while them smarmily patronizing me and my brother on the way down. Just a miserable but memorable experience.

A couple other things I’m reminded of as I review the box score again: Sean Casey was our one-man wrecking crew that game. Easy to forget when you lose the Series that day—had I remembered I would have brought it up to him when I met him a few years ago. And current Methuselah Adam Wainwright picked up the save.

My distaste for the St Louis team goes back to the 1964 World Series. Being the new kid in my seventh grade class who haled from north of the Mason Dixon Line. I hated the Yankees just as much but decided to back them that series to the tune of $12.

That's a lot of pop bottles to a 12 year old.

• Like 1