05/05/2023 8:15pm EDT Detroit Tigers vs St. Louis Cardinals

casimir

3 minutes ago, oblong said:

Really not a fan of Shep’s calls to close the game. They sound too Hawk Harrelson-ish. Which can work if you are an old man and it’s charming. 

Lol...not too crazy about any of his calls. He calls inside strikes "on the rail". I've never heard that before.

Shep is borderline Rick Rizz/Bob Rathburn levels of smarmy.  Its only his long pedigree as a broadcaster of Michigan basketball that mitigates the artificiality. 

I do think Mario would be better if a bit too Spartany.

25 minutes ago, oblong said:

Really not a fan of Shep’s calls to close the game. They sound too Hawk Harrelson-ish. Which can work if you are an old man and it’s charming. 

His calls in big moments last night wete probably an improvement over previous years. But that doesn't mean they were good lol.

In general, I prefer him when he's paired with Petry too. But Petry, along with Cam Maybin, are the cream of the Bally crop lol

Maybin is pretty good, but I prefer him on TV.  He doesn't have the right cadence for radio.  I would like to see a permanent Dickerson and Petry pairing on radio.  On TV, I'd like to see Maybin and a professional broadcaster other than Shep.  

32 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Shep is borderline Rick Rizz/Bob Rathburn levels of smarmy.  Its only his long pedigree as a broadcaster of Michigan basketball that mitigates the artificiality. 

I do think Mario would be better if a bit too Spartany.

Living out of state as a kid there was a number you could call and listen to Rick Rizz for recorded updates. It was long distance and my Dad was not happy when he got the phone bill!

Shep's calls don't annoy me so much, I mean not that they are good or anything but they don't really bother me that much what does though is the stupid things he will often say throughout the broadcast. For example I mentioned it the other day but he's like "The Tigers have now scored more runs in 5 innings than they did all of the first game!" The way he started the sentence you thought it was going to be some wild tidbit he was about to throw out but nope, just letting us know that it took them 3 more innings the previous game to score that many runs. 

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

Maybin is pretty good, but I prefer him on TV.  He doesn't have the right cadence for radio.  I would like to see a permanent Dickerson and Petry pairing on radio.  On TV, I'd like to see Maybin and a professional broadcaster other than Shep.  

The problem with a pitcher as color is that pitching tends to be only thing they talk about. Petry tends to this side - plus it's disappointing he doesn't fix his verbal 'ya know' tic. It's not that hard to do if you are at all serious about doing the job well. Morris, for all his other faults did at least talk about position play a little. Catcher - a la Jim Price - is probably the best you can do if it's going to be an ex-player. Close to the pitching but still has a hitter's perspective.

Edited by gehringer_2

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

MLB.TV adding the capability to overlay the radio feed on TV Broadcasts has been a gamechanger. I really like Scales with Dickerson, but agree the two Dan's work together as well.

17 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

I wonder how frustrating the new rules are to a thorough guy like DD.  You get the sense that he likes taking kind of a deep given in some topics and there just isn't time for that any more

Dan seems to do alright extending commentaries through multiple batters. Plus on the radio, on pitches that are not hit, which is most of them,  the listener has no idea if Dan is giving the pitch in exact real time so it's pretty easy to slide a few seconds here and there to finish a thought and when I listen to him while watching the video - he does exactly that. It is probably tougher for the TV guys to work around each other - or it should be, but we know Bally is all too happy to miss a play in field while Trevor or the guys in booth are mugging for the camera and yukking it up.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1