05/13/2023 1:10 pm EDT Seattle Mariners vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

Greene and Torkelson with decent swings, Young pitcher did OK. Other than that nothing. 

I guess in 162 games there will always be days when a team just seems flat altogether as a team, but the Tigers seem to have more of them than they should. There's a skill in baseball in bearing down to be a tough out when you have to - you're not necessarily even tying to do damage, but your're just up there to make the pitcher suffer - do whatever to extend an AB even if you are giving yourself up in the end . You need guys that will do that in a game like this just for the benefit of rest of your lineup. Make the other guy work, change the rhythm, generate a little energy for your bench, make a statement that your team is still here, give your own pitcher a chance to recoup. Tigers don't have anybody that can/will.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kdog said:

This is what a 73 win season looks like. We will have some major offensive droughts or pitching disasters.

Remember, too, that we are still in that tough stretch of 40 games to start the season. We still haven’t gotten to the Pirates, Nationals, Royals, and White Sox, and they’re up next. Those are teams more at our level or even lower, and I think that stretch of twelve games might be as illuminating as this stretch of forty is.

5 hours ago, kdog said:

This is what a 73 win season looks like. We will have some major offensive droughts or pitching disasters.

I will now read off the list of teams that have not lost two games in a row this season:

The end.

2 hours ago, kdog said:

I think the hitting will be ok. I'm much more worried about the depth of their rotation...either with injuries or performance.

I don’t know about the hitting throughout the lineup.  They’ll have ups and downs, but I think mostly downs.  Hopefully Greene and Torkleson have more ups than downs and the majority of the mixing and matching aside from that remains competitive.

The rotation depth is worrisome.  I don’t know what the timetables are for Skubal, Mize, or Manning.  Just don’t bring them back before they’re physically ready.  It looks like Brieske is still on the 15 and doesn’t like he’ll be back anytime soon.  They could pluck somebody off of waivers and transfer Brieske to the 60 if they need to fill a spot.  They’ve got Alexander who could be extended if need be.  Heck, they could probably just dump Cisnero in lieu of a waiver claim if needed.  But it’s hard to see anyone inside the organization right now to call up for the rotation.

10 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I still prefer a non-pitcher as a general principle though. One of Maybin's strengths is that despite his career having been largely derailed by injuries, he was pretty close to being a true 5 tool player - he can talk about anything guys are doing on the field from the 1st person perspective of someone who knew how to do it right and do it well. I think that brings a value we have been missing - we really haven't had a guy like that in booth since Kell/Kaline. None of Rod/Kirk/Craig were ever that kind of player or could bring that slant. Gibson for base-running, but that was about all.

That makes sense.  Gibson has spent a good amount of time in the past talking about the running game, watching a pitcher in particular to see if there’s a movement to run off of.

I suspect this might be Gibson’s last season.  Maybe it’s been gradual and it’s just now dawned on me, but he seems to have slowed down a bit.  It stinks, I have liked his work and he’s been my favorite of the recent analysts.  I think Petry is probably the better of the choices right now.   Maybin will get his games, so hopefully he finds his stride.

Somehow the only regular season games I’ve caught on radio have been with Jim Price.  I’ll have to listen to the next road series in Washington and Kansas City.

3 hours ago, kdog said:

I think the hitting will be ok. I'm much more worried about the depth of their rotation...either with injuries or performance.

I’m not worried about this rotation because this isn’t the rotation they are planning to contend with. It’s a stopgap rotation. If/when everybody we’ve pinned our future on is healthy, then I’ll be worried if they’re performing like this.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I’m not worried about this rotation because this isn’t the rotation they are planning to contend with. It’s a stopgap rotation. If/when everybody we’ve pinned our future on is healthy, then I’ll be worried if they’re performing like this.

I agree with this.  Getting them all to be healthy at the same is going to be the big challenge.  We won't know if that can happen until next time next year.  What I'm watching for this year is to see what hitters can be part of their future.  

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Also, injuries have affected this rotation yet, unlike in 2022, they haven't had to give starts to the Drew Hutchison and Daniel Norris types. In part because of decisions that Harris made to bring in Boyd and Lorenzen.

Put another way, the rotation has more depth than people credit, it just doesn't seem like it because some of that depth is currently being employed. Obviously expectations should be tempered some for Skubal and Manning when they get back, but it's unequivocally a good thing that they are slated to come back and the rotation should be better for it

Edited by mtutiger

7 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I agree with this.  Getting them all to be healthy at the same is going to be the big challenge.  We won't know if that can happen until next time next year.  What I'm watching for this year is to see what hitters can be part of their future.  

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm just looking at this year.

2 hours ago, casimir said:

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm just looking at this year.

I am always looking at the current year, but I don't expect them to contend for the playoffs all season.  There is some hope they could sneak in there because the division is weak, but that would be a bonus.  

Edited by Tiger337

26 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I am always looking at the current year, but I don't expect them to contend for the playoffs all season.  There is some hope they could sneak in there because the division is weak, but that would be a bonus.  

I agree, I don’t see a playoff run here this season.  But I just want a day to day competitive team, hopefully one without a patchwork rotation where 2 or 3 of the starters struggle to get into the 5th.