05/13/2023 1:10 pm EDT Seattle Mariners vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

Cameron Maybin made his Tiger TV game analyst debut last night, and I assume he'll be in the booth again today and tomorrow (it seems like that seat is filled by the series).  He seemed very chatty, but he had good content.  There were a couple of genuine laughs involving Maybin last night, not the fake banter chuckle.  So, for those of you muting the TV in lieu of the radio, maybe allow for a few innings to see how you feel about Maybin on TV.

1 hour ago, casimir said:

Cameron Maybin made his Tiger TV game analyst debut last night, and I assume he'll be in the booth again today and tomorrow (it seems like that seat is filled by the series).  He seemed very chatty, but he had good content.  There were a couple of genuine laughs involving Maybin last night, not the fake banter chuckle.  So, for those of you muting the TV in lieu of the radio, maybe allow for a few innings to see how you feel about Maybin on TV.

I caught him on radio the other night. My biggest complaint was/is he's seemed to have developed the MLB Channel "breathiness" in his delivery. It's a bit like listening to a rock jock "puke" into a microphone. He's young (business wise) and that's something he can overcome. His insights with Dan were good.

8 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

I caught him on radio the other night. My biggest complaint was/is he's seemed to have developed the MLB Channel "breathiness" in his delivery. It's a bit like listening to a rock jock "puke" into a microphone. He's young (business wise) and that's something he can overcome. His insights with Dan were good.

Breathiness?  You losted me.

11 minutes ago, casimir said:

Breathiness?  You losted me.

It sounds a bit like faux excitement, not a normal speaking voice or delivery. A common ailment in ex jocks who do a bit of Sports TV commentary. It's a nit pick and is completely curable unlike Jack Morris Disease 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

It sounds a bit like faux excitement, not a normal speaking voice or delivery. A common ailment in ex jocks who do a bit of Sports TV commentary. It's a nit pick and is completely curable unlike Jack Morris Disease 

I didn’t notice that.  I liked him better than C-Mo. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CMRivdogs said:

On the radio you kind of learn to be yourself with the volume/energy turned up just a little bit, but not too much.   I think Cam is one of those guys who already has a higher volume than most people and when he ups his delivery like Dan Dickerson does (just a hair) it seems like "Ron Radio".  But he's an entertaining speaker and he'll find his spot eventually.  

Ken Kal is REALLY good at upping his volume just enough.   In person he sounds so much different.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, casimir said:

I'll give him a pass since it was his first TV game but from what I watched I didn't really like him. As you said he was very chatty which turned me off, it felt like he wouldn't shut up which was especially annoying in a game where the Tigers were getting crushed. IDK it was his first game so hopefully he'll learn from that.

On a side note Tigers legend Andy Dirks just tweeted that he will be in the radio booth with Dan today. 

On another note...I don't get TV so I enjoyed the Tigers as the free game of the week last week.  But listening to Gibson was painful.  There was no chemistry between the two announcers at all.  I know you have all talked about the TV broadcast before, but I finally got to confirm how right all of you are about how bad it is.

2 minutes ago, CaliforniaDreaming said:

On another note...I don't get TV so I enjoyed the Tigers as the free game of the week last week.  But listening to Gibson was painful.  There was no chemistry between the two announcers at all.  I know you have all talked about the TV broadcast before, but I finally got to confirm how right all of you are about how bad it is.

Gibson is a smarter broadcaster than I expected him to be and he used to be very good.  Unfortunately,  his health is slowing him down a lot.  

I still like Petry the best for TV. Even though he's an "old timer" I think he brings modern ways of thinking to the broadcast and doesn't just rely on "back in my day" like Morris does. Also seems to have the best chemistry with Shep(who for better or worse we're stuck with) and knows when to talk and when to shut up. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, CaliforniaDreaming said:

You really know how bad it is when I tell you that Shep is probably better with Gibson that with any of the others! Actually they normally do OK together, you might have caught Kirk on a down day - he's having more of those as time goes by.

7 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I still like Petry the best for TV. Even though he's an "old timer" I think he brings modern ways of thinking to the broadcast and doesn't just rely on "back in my day" like Morris does. Also seems to have the best chemistry with Shep(who for better or worse we're stuck with) and knows when to talk and when to shut up. 

I still prefer a non-pitcher as a general principle though. One of Maybin's strengths is that despite his career having been largely derailed by injuries, he was pretty close to being a true 5 tool player - he can talk about anything guys are doing on the field from the 1st person perspective of someone who knew how to do it right and do it well. I think that brings a value we have been missing - we really haven't had a guy like that in booth since Kell/Kaline. None of Rod/Kirk/Craig were ever that kind of player or could bring that slant. Gibson for base-running, but that was about all.