06/06/2023 6:40pm EDT Detroit Tigers vs Philadelphia Phillies

casimir

Don't get me wrong I really liked Polanco and he was a good player for us but I don't know if there has been a more overrated local athlete in the past 20 or so years than him. When we let him go you would've thought we got rid of Joe Morgan or something with the way people reacted. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Don't get me wrong I really liked Polanco and he was a good player for us but I don't know if there has been a more overrated local athlete in the past 20 or so years than him. When we let him go you would've thought we got rid of Joe Morgan or something with the way people reacted. 

There was letting him to go to begin with.  But then there was also angst about not attaching the qualifying offer or whatever vehicle there was at the time to receive a compensatory draft pick for losing him via free agency.

Will Rhymes (53 games), Carlos Guillen (47), Scott Sizemore (40), Ramon Santiago (25), Ryan Raburn (18), and Danny Worth (12) handled 2B the next season.  Good times.

31 minutes ago, casimir said:

There was letting him to go to begin with.  But then there was also angst about not attaching the qualifying offer or whatever vehicle there was at the time to receive a compensatory draft pick for losing him via free agency.

Will Rhymes (53 games), Carlos Guillen (47), Scott Sizemore (40), Ramon Santiago (25), Ryan Raburn (18), and Danny Worth (12) handled 2B the next season.  Good times.

The good thing about Danny Worth was that as soon as someone told you his batting average, you already knew his OBP and SLG.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

They reacted that way because we didn't have a player to replace him. The job was handed to Scott Sizemore who wasn't a capable fielder or hitter. We could have brought him up in September to see what he could do but we didn't. 

3 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

That's the one I was complaining about in yesterday's thread and I said please opt out. Then other people are defending Baez.

I submit exhibit A and I rest my case.

I really dont want to insult anybody, but if someone is defending how awful Javy is at this point, well, they may have smooth ridges in their brain🤷‍♂️

3 minutes ago, Dtrain72 said:

I really dont want to insult anybody, but if someone is defending how awful Javy is at this point, well, they may have smooth ridges in their brain🤷‍♂️

I don't think anybody is defending how awful he has been at the plate, Helen Keller could see that but his defense has been elite leading all SS in outs above average. That doesn't make up for his horrible offense but it shows that he atleast brings something to the table. Plus another "defense" of his is that our system just doesn't have any other MLB caliber shortstops so if he were to leave we'd have to go outside the org to find a replacement and there aren't many good ones that our available. Our best hope to get a good one probably lies in hoping that Javy can be fixed, it's a crappy situation but unfortunately that's where we find ourselves at the moment. 

• Like 1