06/06/2023 6:40pm EDT Detroit Tigers vs Philadelphia Phillies

casimir

4 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I agree.  He was one of those players that I liked from the beginning, but I found myself criticizing him a lot because he became so overrated.  

Unforunately, my lasting image of him is his missed DP ball in extra innings in game 163.  It wasn't an egregious error, but it was a play he makes 9 of 10 times.  I was sure he was going to get the ball and my only question was whether he could turn two to win the game.    

and it turned out he was out there with a stiff back that day wasn't he?

39 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

and it turned out he was out there with a stiff back that day wasn't he?

I had forgotten about that.  I didn't really blame him.  It is just the one play in a very frustrating game that stands out the most for me.  

Why this is so demoralizing is that we just lived through an incredibly painful rebuild and the reality is that it didn’t work and we have to embark upon another one, which likely means another 4-5 years where we won’t be in playoff contention.

I’m too old for this ****.

What a ridiculous way to lose.  Your pitching staff manages to piece together a great effort, only giving up 3 hits and 0 walks and you can't even score a single run to have a chance at winning in extras.  

8 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Why this is so demoralizing is that we just lived through an incredibly painful rebuild and the reality is that it didn’t work and we have to embark upon another one, which likely means another 4-5 years where we won’t be in playoff contention.

They've got nothing on the payroll next season.  Cabrera will be done.  Baez ($25M) and Rodriguez ($18M) have their opt outs.  Everybody else in house is arbitration or prearbitration.  The current highest salary of those folks is Austin Meadows at $4.3M.  While they certainly need to improve the organization via the farm system, they've got plenty of payroll room to augment to the current MLB squad.

8 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

We are too good as fans for this.  Detroit deserves better baseball.  Detroit can afford better baseball.

3 hours ago, casimir said:

They've got nothing on the payroll next season.  Cabrera will be done.  Baez ($25M) and Rodriguez ($18M) have their opt outs.  Everybody else in house is arbitration or prearbitration.  The current highest salary of those folks is Austin Meadows at $4.3M.  While they certainly need to improve the organization via the farm system, they've got plenty of payroll room to augment to the current MLB squad.

Baez can’t opt out given the season he’s having, but even still, I agree that there should be plenty of payroll flexibility.  However, if the market is as hot as it’s been the last few offseasons, we will likely have to agree to some bad contracts to get players here.

24 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Baez can’t opt out given the season he’s having, but even still, I agree that there should be plenty of payroll flexibility.  However, if the market is as hot as it’s been the last few offseasons, we will likely have to agree to some bad contracts to get players here.

Would you rather bad and boring...or bad and a bit watchable?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

SS doesn't look like a good market this offseason.  That had to be part of his calculus for an opt out after this season, right?  There's an option with Tim Anderson, don't know if its his or Chicago's.  I think there are some other 2nd tier guys that are having supbar seasons.  But if Baez had a reasonable season this year, he probably stood a chance of cashing it in.

18 minutes ago, casimir said:

SS doesn't look like a good market this offseason.  That had to be part of his calculus for an opt out after this season, right?  There's an option with Tim Anderson, don't know if its his or Chicago's.  I think there are some other 2nd tier guys that are having supbar seasons.  But if Baez had a reasonable season this year, he probably stood a chance of cashing it in.

Anderson is the same as Baez - same age, same 2022 WAR, same 2023 WAR so far.  

24 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Anderson is the same as Baez - same age, same 2022 WAR, same 2023 WAR so far.  

Yes & no.  The stats might be similar, but Baez has $100M guaranteed coming to him after this season if he opts in.  Anderson has a $14M team option or $1M buyout coming to him.

16 minutes ago, casimir said:

Yes & no.  The stats might be similar, but Baez has $100M guaranteed coming to him after this season if he opts in.  Anderson has a $14M team option or $1M buyout coming to him.

That's true.  However, If Anderson opts out, I wouldn't be interested in the Tigers signing him to a long deal (even if they didn't have Baez) 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, casimir said:

I remember the good old days when we would have a 20 page GDT for every game. Heck, we would have a 10 page thread on days off. Interest is waning....good job, Chris, nobody cares anymore.

14 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I remember the good old days when we would have a 20 page GDT for every game. Heck, we would have a 10 page thread on days off. Interest is waning....good job, Chris, nobody cares anymore.

Part of it is that not many people use messageboards like this anymore.  I prefer this type of interaction, but there are so many social media options now.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Part of it is that not many people use messageboards like this anymore.  I prefer this type of interaction, but there are so many social media options now.  

I think this a big part of it. We also moved to a totally different board a couple years ago.