06/16/2023 8:10pm EDT Detroit Tigers vs Minnesota Twins

casimir

3 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

4 game series and 2 of the games are BP days? Where's our SP depth? Unbelievable, the most important series of the season up to this point. 10 straight division games? There's not a lot of room for error.

Quit thinking playoffs or contending.  This is about surviving the balance of the season (again).

8 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yeah this season is done, I mean I'm still gonna keep rooting for wins but ultimately what matters to me most at this point is the development of the players that are going to be here in the coming years most notably of course Tork. 

I'd like to see Lipcius get a shot in a couple of weeks if he keeps up his hitting at Toledo. He's 25 - even if he ends up sent down again I think it would good just to see how he handles himself. I'd rather see Parker M get his K rate down a little more before throwing him against ML pitching. Other than that and Riley and Baddoo returning I don't see much else that we will see different on the position side the rest of the way.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

I'd like to see Lipcius get a shot in a couple of weeks if he keeps up his hitting at Toledo. He's 25 - even if he ends up sent down again I think it would good just to see how he handles himself. I'd rather see Parker M get his K rate down a little more before throwing him against ML pitching. Other than that and Riley and Baddoo returning I don't see much else that we will see different on the position side the rest of the way.

The age of some of these younger players is misleading. They lost a full year of development because of covid. Bringing them up before they're ready is like.....eating undercooked chicken. It may taste good at first but you soon regret it...lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

The age of some of these younger players is misleading. They lost a full year of development because of covid. Bringing them up before they're ready is like.....eating undercooked chicken. It may taste good at first but you soon regret it...lol

There is no free lunch though. You don't fully get back the lost year just by holding guys back because the ones that are starting to get older are going to be losing the ability to change and adapt they need to make the transition.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, Jim Cowan said:

Yes a guy like Lipcius who is 25 is probably as polished as he is going to get...bring him up, with low expectations.  And Dingler is going to be 25 in September - get him to Toledo, now, with low expectations. 

Ibanez or Schoop out, Lipcius in seems like an easy swap.

Dingler to Toledo, sure, makes sense.  Its not like Dingler taking time from Sands is a poor choice.  Heck, it seems doubtful that Haase/Rogers/Sands will all be held over to next season.  Promote Dingler, see if he's got the chops.

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yeah this season is done, I mean I'm still gonna keep rooting for wins but ultimately what matters to me most at this point is the development of the players that are going to be here in the coming years most notably of course Tork. 

Exactly. I once heard or read an interview with Ernie Harwell during which he was asked, how do you stay focused and seem interested in calling a game for a terrible team that's going nowhere, not unlike the 2003 team? And his answer was something on the order of, you focus on the game in front of you today, as if it's the only thing in baseball that matters to anyone, and you put all your energy into this particular game. Every game has a story built into it that's independent of its effect on the rest of the season, so just approach it that way. I have remembered that every time the Tigers have fallen out of contention early in the season, and that's happened a lot.

Carpe game.

Edited by chasfh

40 minutes ago, casimir said:

Ibanez or Schoop out, Lipcius in seems like an easy swap.

Dingler to Toledo, sure, makes sense.  Its not like Dingler taking time from Sands is a poor choice.  Heck, it seems doubtful that Haase/Rogers/Sands will all be held over to next season.  Promote Dingler, see if he's got the chops.

Someone put up the clip of Skubal's first inning yesterday - Sands behind the plate. Don't know if I've seen a guy any sloppier throwing the ball back to pitcher in one inning. Skubal was having to bounce up, down, in, out just getting the ball back. Hope that was just a SSS aberration, otherwise that would have to get irritating.

The Tigers will get nothing for Haase, a 30-year old bat-first sorta-catcher whose bat has completely abandoned him this year.

The only guys I can envision us moving and getting something decent for are Lorenzen and the back of the bullpen, and that's gonna happen or at least try to happen, and if we're lucky and/or Scott Harris is really good, we'll be able to snow someone into a giving us a return for Jose Cisnero. Milwaukee, and Arizona are probably our best bets, although Tampa needs arms, too.

10 minutes ago, chasfh said:

, and if we're lucky and/or Scott Harris is really good, we'll be able to snow someone into a giving us a return for Jose Cisnero. 

Sadly, Cisnero's FB has never come all the way back since the DL trip in the fist half last year. Maybe the injury, maybe just would have lost it at 34 anyway, but 4 BB/9 is more interesting with a 98-99 mph heater than with  96.

There is no free lunch though. You don't fully get back the lost year just by holding guys back because the ones that are starting to get older are going to be losing the ability to change and adapt they need to make the transition.

They just may need longer to develop. Age isn't as important when discussing a prospect. Remember, there was no minor league season at all in 2020. Or 2021, I don’t remember. So going by age isn't the best indicator, across all of the minor leagues. Older rookies coming to a town near you...lol

Lipcius has over 1200 plate appearances in AA and AAA along with being a 3 year college player in the SEC which is about as close to pro ball as you can get, he has had plenty of time to develop. There's always outliers but in all likelihood if he can't perform at the Major League level now he isn't going to in a year or 2. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Someone put up the clip of Skubal's first inning yesterday - Sands behind the plate. Don't know if I've seen a guy any sloppier throwing the ball back to pitcher in one inning. Skubal was having to bounce up, down, in, out just getting the ball back. Hope that was just a SSS aberration, otherwise that would have to get irritating.

Lol that would drive you nuts.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

The Tigers will get nothing for Haase, a 30-year old bat-first sorta-catcher whose bat has completely abandoned him this year.

The only guys I can envision us moving and getting something decent for are Lorenzen and the back of the bullpen, and that's gonna happen or at least try to happen, and if we're lucky and/or Scott Harris is really good, we'll be able to snow someone into a giving us a return for Jose Cisnero. Milwaukee, and Arizona are probably our best bets, although Tampa needs arms, too.

When's the trade deadline? We may still have time to get Rodriguez healthy enough to move him. Prolly not for much but anything is better than what we would get when he opts out.

In regards to E-Rod trade value, it's kinda related but somebody asked Law in his chat yesterday if he thought the White Sox would get atleast 1 top 100 guy if they were to deal Giolito and Keith said yeah even though he is a rental he thinks they could fetch that for him.

Now Giolito may have a bigger name but in reality he sucked last year and he certainly wasn't better than what E-Rod was this year so if E-Rod can come back and make a few starts and look like he did earlier this then we might be able to get a solid prospect after all.