2023 NBA Draft Night

Sam Vecenie and his guest discussed the jump shot on their live stream last night.  Both agreed Ausar does not need a 3PT shot to be a success.  What he needs is a proper team around him.  At least 3 other guys on the floor who can shoot that will spread the floor and let Ausar go to work.

Giannis is a top 3 player in the league and averages 28% from three for his career.  He can do that because he almost always has 3 or 4 guys on the court with him who can shoot.  Lopez shoots 38%, Holiday 39%, Middleton 39%, Jingles 40% Allen 38%, Portis 37%, Carter 42% etc. etc.  Defense goes zone to defend against Giannis, the shooters shoot over the top and bust the zone, defense is quickly back to man.  

I realize Giannis is an extreme example due to his freak size and athleticism.  But you can do this with Fox, Ja, and others.

What they did say Ausar needs is a 12 footer, maybe a little floater.  He hits those shots and his defender has to come out away from the rim to defend him and it gives Ausar more room to work.

I don't think Khris is interested in leaving Milwaukee.

Opting out just gets him a long-term contract (with Milwaukee) while the gettin's good...

After this draft, I'm still looking for that 3&D Forward that we need, whether at SF or PF... UFA? RFA? Trade?

UFA Jerami Grant? Will hit 30 next season so I'd be leery of too long a term but 3-4 years would be OK, I think. Would he want to come back here to finish up a rebuild? He would help on the 3-side but does he have any D left in him? His D-rating is steadily getting worse the past 4 years so most likely not.

UFA Dario Saric? Could be an interesting value (contract) idea... although he's not too much different as a player than Grant... Would he be interested in the Pistons?

RFA Cam Johnson? He'd be the biggest steal... but impossible to get him with the RFA... Same with Grant Williams...

Under-the-radar guy? UFA Jalen McDaniels. This is my choice based on cost, possibility of signing, age, etc...

What about RFA PJ Washington? Not a great option but the best of the rest...? Or is that UFA Trey Lyles?

Overall, not great options to fill a need...

I know we're not in either Troy or Monty's minds so we can't know for sure, but what do you think made them choose a player like Thompson over a guy like Taylor Hendricks? We need a wing who can shoot and guard multiple positions no? Hendricks, from scouting reports I've ready seems like someone who can do all of play the wing, be a decent on and off ball defender, and can shoot better that Thompson with a 39 3FG%? He also offers more length at 6'9 and can play Center if they go small. So why Thompson over Hendricks? I don't hate the pick, I'm just curious as to why.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

Weaver told you why. He swings for home runs.

I love Hendricks and he was who I wanted if they didn't take Thompson. But his offense is very limited to basically just a catch and shoot type player.  He will be a very nice player for the next ten years. But he isn't a home run.

Thompson puts pressure on the rim, creates for others and himself. If he develops an average three point shot that's your home run.

19 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I know we're not in either Troy or Monty's minds so we can't know for sure, but what do you think made them choose a player like Thompson over a guy like Taylor Hendricks? We need a wing who can shoot and guard multiple positions no? Hendricks, from scouting reports I've ready seems like someone who can do all of play the wing, be a decent on and off ball defender, and can shoot better that Thompson with a 39 3FG%? He also offers more length at 6'9 and can play Center if they go small. So why Thompson over Hendricks? I don't hate the pick, I'm just curious as to why.

I like Hendricks a lot, but Ausar has a way higher ceiling (also a lower floor). Weaver said he was going for the home run swing and that's what he did. Day 1 Ausar is Hami with more height, length, IQ, defense, ball-handling, and passing. That's solid already, right? He's also a better 3 point shooter...but that's not saying much since he's at 30% compared to 27%, but there's hope. So, there's your floor.

But Weaver compared him to prime Andre Iquodala and that's probably a good comp for his ceiling. That's a lockdown perimeter defender, who can slash, play above the rim, be a playmaker for others, and shoot at a passable enough level to keep defenders honest. Adding prime Iggy to Cade, Ivey, and Duren would be phenomenal if he gets there.

The NBA is also moving towards having more and more ball-handlers and playmakers out on the court. Look at teams like Boston, Denver, Miami, and others who roll out lineups with 3 to 5 guys that can make plays with the ball in their hands. That's the biggest knock on Hendricks - he simply doesn't project as that type of player at all. So, while he's a nice roleplayer, he's also the kind of 3 and D guy you can get as a Free Agent or in a trade, whereas you can't get homeruns that way. Weaver is hoping Ausar is a homerun.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hart said:

I don't think Ausar's shot is as broke as people think.  He may not shoot a good percentage next year but I am a long ways from writing it off completely long term.

His form looked a lot better at the end of the year compared to the beginning. 

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

I don't think Khris is interested in leaving Milwaukee.

Opting out just gets him a long-term contract (with Milwaukee) while the gettin's good...

After this draft, I'm still looking for that 3&D Forward that we need, whether at SF or PF... UFA? RFA? Trade?

UFA Jerami Grant? Will hit 30 next season so I'd be leery of too long a term but 3-4 years would be OK, I think. Would he want to come back here to finish up a rebuild? He would help on the 3-side but does he have any D left in him? His D-rating is steadily getting worse the past 4 years so most likely not.

UFA Dario Saric? Could be an interesting value (contract) idea... although he's not too much different as a player than Grant... Would he be interested in the Pistons?

RFA Cam Johnson? He'd be the biggest steal... but impossible to get him with the RFA... Same with Grant Williams...

Under-the-radar guy? UFA Jalen McDaniels. This is my choice based on cost, possibility of signing, age, etc...

What about RFA PJ Washington? Not a great option but the best of the rest...? Or is that UFA Trey Lyles?

Overall, not great options to fill a need...

If you want top talent on the free agent market, you are going to have to overpay.  Jerami Grant does appear to be the ideal fit for us right now.  It sounds like the max for him for the Pistons is 4 years, $174 million.  That seems absurd to me for a guy who is not an all-star but it might be worth it while we still got Cade and Ivey on reasonable deals.  

Edited by Hart

29 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Weaver told you why. He swings for home runs.

I love Hendricks and he was who I wanted if they didn't take Thompson. But his offense is very limited to basically just a catch and shoot type player.  He will be a very nice player for the next ten years. But he isn't a home run.

Thompson puts pressure on the rim, creates for others and himself. If he develops an average three point shot that's your home run.

I also preferred Hendricks for the reasons Tater stated but can get on board with Thompson for the reasons Weaver/ Del elucidate right here...

11 minutes ago, Hart said:

If you want top talent on the free agent market, you are going to have to overpay.  Jerami Grant does appear to be the ideal fit for us right now.  It sounds like the max for him for the Pistons is 4 years, $174 million.  That seems absurd to me for a guy who is not an all-star but it might be worth it while we still got Cade and Ivey on reasonable deals.  

I think I don't want Grant because of the cost, the contract, he'll be on the wrong side of 30 starting the very first year of this contract, and his defense is getting worse by the minute and is weak enough to not call him a 3&D guy anymore but, more like a 3 & OK D guy...

I'll state my preference for Jalen McDaniels right here and right now.

23 minutes ago, Hart said:

I don't think Ausar's shot is as broke as people think.  He may not shoot a good percentage next year but I am a long ways from writing it off completely long term.

19 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

His form looked a lot better at the end of the year compared to the beginning. 

And he'll work like hell to make it better. I can see Cade/ Ivey/ Stew and Ausar all in the gym competing to see who can make the most 3's out of 250 daily shots.

They'll all work like hell to improve their LD shot.

Not saying I would have done this (and who knows what "stuff" is and whose 2025 pick that was and protections etc.) but lets assume that Sasser is there at 28 and the 2025 pick was Utah's. Would you take Thompson+Sasser or Hendricks+Sasser+31+Utah 2025 1st?  Actually, I just talked myself into taking that trade. The Ausar pick better be a homerun because that's a tough trade package to turn down IMO. 

Edited by NYLion
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, NYLion said:

Not saying I would have done this (and who knows what "stuff" is and whose 2025 pick that was and protections etc.) but lets assume that Sasser is there at 28 and the 2025 pick was Utah's. Would you take Thompson+Sasser or Hendricks+Sasser+31+Utah 2025 1st?  Actually, I just talked myself into taking that trade. The Ausar pick better be a homerun because that's a tough trade package to turn down IMO. 

I don't think I make either trade.  I would hold steady on the 5 for 9 & 16 that we heard about.

I think the priority for this team now is higher quality rather than higher quantity.  I agree with swinging for the fences with this pick.  They need to get the environment right to retain Cunningham if he does indeed become a high level player.  Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't, that remains to be seen.  But there is still reasonable hope for him.  And given that Detroit is one of those teams that isn't necessarily attractive to free agents or to players that can force sign & trades to go to, they'll need to acquire their better top players via draft or trade.

On the other hand, if quality is the main get, I can understand not giving in to the 28th pick vs the 16th out of principle of value.  As far as the other deal with the 2025 1st round pick, I'm not sure I trust moving a 5th now in this draft for the possibility of moving into a worse spot in 2025, although it depends on the "stuff".  Maybe its a risk worth taking if its a team like Washington, but I'm not sure I want that deal with Utah and Ainge in charge right now.

Edit:  I just reread the results of the proposed trade (bolded).  I don't know, maybe I'm more on the fence with that than at first thought.

Edited by casimir

It might look like an OK trade in hindsight.  But at the time it was offered it is not a good deal IMO.

First, you can't say it was Ausar for Hendricks + 2025 first round pick.  You have to evaluate the trade using who is #5 on your board at the time.  Because the guys 1-4 on your board might get picked 5, 6, 7, and 8 and now you are stuck with the #5 guy on your board.  I don't even know who that would be for me.  Ausar and Hendricks were 1 and 2 but who would I have at 5?  Wallace?  Lively?  Black?  ****?  Those guys are less attractive to me than Hendricks and now I don't think I do the trade.

Then the 2025 pick is going to be protected in some capacity.  Probably top 10 at least if not total lottery protection.  2026 is Flagg/Boozer so bare minimum it will be top 2 protected because nobody is giving up a shot at one of those kids.  The toss in Utah might not even be in the lottery in 2025 and that pick is less attractive.  

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Deleterious said:

It might look like an OK trade in hindsight.  But at the time it was offered it is not a good deal IMO.

First, you can't say it was Ausar for Hendricks + 2025 first round pick.  You have to evaluate the trade using who is #5 on your board at the time.  Because the guys 1-4 on your board might get picked 5, 6, 7, and 8 and now you are stuck with the #5 guy on your board.  I don't even know who that would be for me.  Ausar and Hendricks were 1 and 2 but who would I have at 5?  Wallace?  Lively?  Black?  ****?  Those guys are less attractive to me than Hendricks and now I don't think I do the trade.

Then the 2025 pick is going to be protected in some capacity.  Probably top 10 at least if not total lottery protection.  2026 is Flagg/Boozer so bare minimum it will be top 2 protected because nobody is giving up a shot at one of those kids.  The toss in Utah might not even be in the lottery in 2025 and that pick is less attractive.  

This is where I'm at with it. If I could guarantee Hendricks was going to be there, then yeah I'm interested. But I don't walk Walker and a potentially bad pick in a later draft. Also we don't know what "stuff" is. If it's Bagley, then ok, take that contract off my hands. But, it could have been Burks and now it doesn't sound so good.

Edited by Betrayer

Not sure if it's been mentioned but reading an article by Hollinger today and he mentioned that from what he hears teams were scared of Whitmore medicals(aside from his workouts as well), said teams may have saw something in his knee(s) that gave them trepidation. 

• Like 1