06/27/2023 8:10pm EDT Detroit Tigers vs Texas Rangers

casimir

Pudge hit the way we all did when we were kids, especially when we were young enough that nobody threw breaking balls.  He had the talent to pull it off, we didn't. 

At no point, not even once, did any coach ever tell me that I didn't have to swing at strike one if it wasn't right down the middle.  I think that when I was 10 it was probably about 10 years earlier than Ted Williams' book with that famous diagram of the strike zone divided into 9 sections.  If I'd seen that when I was 10 it would have made a big difference.

So I agree that the Tigers can be too selective at times, but I think you'd need a lot of talent to succeed with the Pudge approach.

1 minute ago, Jim Cowan said:

Pudge hit the way we all did when we were kids, especially when we were young enough that nobody threw breaking balls.  He had the talent to pull it off, we didn't. 

At no point, not even once, did any coach ever tell me that I didn't have to swing at strike one if it wasn't right down the middle.  I think that when I was 10 it was probably about 10 years earlier than Ted Williams' book with that famous diagram of the strike zone divided into 9 sections.  If I'd seen that when I was 10 it would have made a big difference.

So I agree that the Tigers can be too selective at times, but I think you'd need a lot of talent to succeed with the Pudge approach.

Guys like Pudge and Miggy can't teach hitting. They have abilities that very few people have ever had and that's why they are in the Hall of Fame.

2 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Of course, on the other hand it was also easy to for Ted Williams to say about that perfect pitch "Don't take it, don't miss it, don't foul it off" because he had the bat command to hit that ball hard every time he got it, most guys *will* foul it off half the time and not get another one. So no question, no matter what your approach it helps a lot be a better hitter!!!  :classic_laugh:

5 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

Guys like Pudge and Miggy can't teach hitting. They have abilities that very few people have ever had and that's why they are in the Hall of Fame.

Certainly with Cabrera, the consistent power to the opposite field most guys just are not going to have, and without that you probably don't gain trying to emulate that style.

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Of course, on the other hand it was also easy to for Ted Williams to say about that perfect pitch "Don't take it, don't miss it, don't foul it off" because he had the bat command to hit that ball hard every time he got it, most guys *will* foul it off half the time and not get another one. So no question, no matter what your approach it helps a lot be a better hitter!!!  :classic_laugh:

True of course, it helps if you are Ted Williams, but I think that he is the only savant in any sport who ever managed to give useful advice to young players.

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

I remember Ted Williams getting credit for helping the Senators become better hitters, but I later figured out that it was Boston sports writers putting a positive spin on something that really a result of a lowered mound and smaller strike zone.  

Here's another savant, Sam Snead, answering questions:

Q:  Sam, how can I hit the ball farther?

A:  Swing the club faster.

Q:  Sam, what's your technique for hitting a draw or a fade?

A:  I just think "draw" or "fade"

He wasn't  being a smartass, he was smiling the whole time and he thought he was being helpful.