07/18/2023 8:10pm EDT Detroit Tigers vs Kansas City Royals

casimir

I think the thing that frustrates me with Tork is just how he goes through these stretches where he just looks completely lost at the plate. I know virtually every player has their ups and downs throughout the season but when he has his downs he is just so painful and frustrating to watch at the plate. 

Haase being restricted to catching causes another problem in that it takes playing time away from Rogers who is superior in every aspect of the game.

I'm curious about something.  In the past couple of weeks I have seen references to "pitchers like throwing to him".  How did that become a fact...was it catching the no-hitter?  Or maybe that "catcher's ERA" analysis?  Expert insider opinion?

1 hour ago, Jim Cowan said:

Haase being restricted to catching causes another problem in that it takes playing time away from Rogers who is superior in every aspect of the game.

I'm curious about something.  In the past couple of weeks I have seen references to "pitchers like throwing to him".  How did that become a fact...was it catching the no-hitter?  Or maybe that "catcher's ERA" analysis?  Expert insider opinion?

IDK - I think a lot comes from pitchers always complimenting their catchers in post games - but it's become almost more of an insult by ommision than a meaningful compliment. It could also be that Rogers has a little less 'patience' with his pitchers. You do see him fire a heater back at one sometimes after he makes a bad pitch. Of course whether a pitcher likes having his catcher 'on his case' is a different question than whether it's better or worse for his results!

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

Wait...

So which is it?

As for myself, the scouting reports said he had an extremely high hit tool. And he proved that out in the minors.

My expectations were multiple years hovering around .320 (even if his career was closer to .300-.310-ish), 30-40 homers with maybe a highpoint of 50+ somewhere, career 500-ish HR's, and high point years of .900-ish + OPS, even if career ended up closer to .850-ish.

My expectations have not changed.

The first of my quotes was my expectations for this year. The second was what I expected from him going forward. 

Those are some very lofty numbers, like Cabrera quality. That would be great but  very difficult to achieve. The problem I see with having HOF expectations like that is that anything less is a let down. Some people who aren’t as patient as you cannot handle that. It’s why they’re bashing him right now, calling a 23 year old with his current trajectory a bust or a disappointment. To me is just plain laughable, like he was supposed to rise above all the sub mediocre surrounding him and instantly become a star? The way I see it is that he’ll likely wind up somewhere between our 2 expectations, which is a very good if not all star-like player. Personally I see nothing wrong with that.

1 hour ago, Jim Cowan said:

He needs the Duffy Dyer treatment--catch twice a week at the most.  No other positions, no more AB's than giving Jake an occasional rest.

27 minutes ago, AZTigersfan said:

... The way I see it is that he’ll likely wind up somewhere between our 2 expectations, which is a very good if not all star-like player. Personally I see nothing wrong with that.

I wouldn't see anything wrong with that either.

But going back to his high hit tool as he's shown in at least college and the minors... I'm still holding out for something very, very...

Lofty.

Even if I have to patiently wait for it...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

He needs the Duffy Dyer treatment--catch twice a week at the most.  No other positions, no more AB's than giving Jake an occasional rest.

We might get that next year.

Or at least I'm hoping for that...

It's another year past Jake's TJ and...

after at least one full year of proven health (knock on wood...).

Plus one more thing: I think there will be higher competition for AB's next year, squeezing Haase out, to only Catcher and maybe some PH'ing... which I would be OK with if it eliminates his position starts other than at C...

30 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

They keep giving him ABs hoping the switch flips, which is pretty much what they did with Schoop for over a year before finally giving up. I suppose if you give enough slumping guys enough time sooner or later one of them will start to hit again for you, and Haase did finish last season with a hot bat so he's not been cold anywhere near as long as Schoop had been. But it's easy to get pessimistic that a guy who took until 28 to reach the majors will recover from a 1/2 season slump at almost 31 years old.

And Hinch has been scrupulously fair about giving Haase and Rogers equal time against LHP, but the result is that Haase's OPS platoon split against LHP is 421, while Rogers' is 960.

Edited by gehringer_2