07/18/2023 8:10pm EDT Detroit Tigers vs Kansas City Royals

casimir

the only question about this one is why Hinch left Skubal in so long. It wasn't like KC was having BaBIP luck - Tarik couldn't throw a breaking ball for a strike and could hardly get his FB in the zone. In hindsight, if he had gone and gotten him a run or two sooner......

You assume that if they were still in a playoff chase he would have managed differently.....

...wait, what?

Edited by gehringer_2

2 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

So....

Was this Torque's "coming out party"?

Is he now a "bona fide" baseball player?

The MLB Draft is hard:

So far Spencer has more career HR than the rest of the top 30 draft picks from 2020  in their combined MLB careers.

Actually only 4 other position players from the top 30 picks have made the majors that I could find:

Nick Gonzales(7) - who's played only 20 MLB games but is starting at 2b now for the Pirates.

Patrick Bailey(13) - now the Giants starting catcher, 44 games total-all this year. He's got the job because Joey Bart has been sent to AAA

Garrett Mitchell(20) - Brewers catcher. He was called up last year, apparently won the job this year but promptly messed up his shoulder after 16 games and may be out for the season. Also 44 career games.

Jordan Walker(21) is a starting OF for the Cards called up this year 55 games. 781 OPS so far.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I understand dropping Marisnick for tomorrow but for this team this year we win tonight with outfielders playing the outfield and there will be others with Carpenter And Haase in the outfield.  I would have liked  to see an outfield of Greene Marisnick and Verling left to right. It would be a bit easier on Greenes leg also. But alas the mad chessman is free  to pursue fielding flexibility in search of righty lefty match ups. 

Edited by SoCalTiger

5 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

The MLB Draft is hard:

So far Spencer has more career HR than the rest of the top 30 draft picks from 2020  in their combined MLB careers.

Actually only 4 other position players from the top 30 picks have made the majors that I could find:

Nick Gonzales(7) - who's played only 20 MLB games but is starting at 2b now for the Pirates.

Patrick Bailey(13) - now the Giants starting catcher, 44 games total-all this year. He's got the job because Joey Bart has been sent to AAA

Garrett Mitchell(20) - Brewers catcher. He was called up last year, apparently won the job this year but promptly messed up his shoulder after 16 games and may be out for the season. Also 44 career games.

Jordan Walker(21) is a starting OF for the Cards called up this year 55 games. 781 OPS so far.

I never understood the Tork hate and this really puts it into perspective. Usually when a player get this much grief it’s because we passed on someone who’s absolutely crushing it. As you pointed out, that’s nowhere near the case.

Last year should’ve been in Toledo, Tork was obviously rushed and wasn’t ready. I give him a mulligan and consider this his true rookie season. My expectations for him were 20+ home runs and and ops above 750. He is very much on the trajectory to achieve and even surpass those goals. I really hope people unclench about him, gain a little patience, and enjoy watching the  progression continue. 

• Like 1

I blame it on the unrealistic hype he got pre draft, he didn't come across as just a normal number 1 pick, he was being touted as a near generational bat so with descriptions like that people get unrealistic expectations.

Edited by RandyMarsh
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I blame it on the unrealistic hype he got pre draft, he didn't come across as just a normal number 1 pick, he was being touted as a near generational bat so with descriptions like that people get unrealistic expectations.

Then they were duped by the superlatives thrown around every year about the top prospects. Look at the things they said about Crews, Skenes, and even Langford. That’s part of the reason people bemoaned the Clark pick. Not because Clark was a reach, which he wasn’t, but because the constant barrage on how Langford is a superstar. 

Watching Tork at ASU I figured he’d be a guy that hit around 250 (ops above 800) and add 30 to 40 homers a year. People expecting triple crown contention, the home run record, or whatever lofty expectations the built up in their heads, I just don’t know what to say to them. I guess I just will say that I wish the all the best. 

6 minutes ago, Dtrain72 said:

If we ever see Haase in the outfield again, AJ deserves a bucket of tomatos thrown at him...and that's not even mentioning that Haase also cant hit🍅🍅🍅

Yes, Marisnick was even hitting better than Haase - though the hope is Haase breaks out. In the field nothing to compare.

However, 26 man roster decisions are not just the manager - the GM may have as much, if not more to say about it. This happens more as we are always trying to 'mix and match' - seems Short and Haase have been quite non-productive hitting wise for awhile now (Short does play good D at a few positions and this has value).

We could use some production. Not sure what it is with Haase - but because he can C and the Ps like him...

7 hours ago, AZTigersfan said:

... Tork was ... My expectations for him were 20+ home runs and and ops above 750...

6 hours ago, AZTigersfan said:

... Watching Tork at ASU I figured he’d be a guy that hit around 250 (ops above 800) and add 30 to 40 homers a year... 

Wait...

So which is it?

As for myself, the scouting reports said he had an extremely high hit tool. And he proved that out in the minors.

My expectations were multiple years hovering around .320 (even if his career was closer to .300-.310-ish), 30-40 homers with maybe a highpoint of 50+ somewhere, career 500-ish HR's, and high point years of .900-ish + OPS, even if career ended up closer to .850-ish.

My expectations have not changed.

Edited by 1984Echoes

PS: The reason I made my earlier comment last night:

I also am annoyed with all the Tork-bashing. That comment was more aligned with: "Can we stop bashing him now?" then with "I might finally believe he belongs". 

That probably didn't come through, but that's what I meant.

The reason I do NOT feel the need to bash him, even if he hasn't met my expectations: Is that I have patience. I know he's going through his learning curve. And I might even sound impatient or frustrated at times... because I believe he can (and will) do better. But I still believe he'll hit my higher expectations, even if he has to go through these growing pains. Still pleased he was our draftee. And just patiently waiting to see just how high he can get to before I need to reset any expectations that I might have...

6 hours ago, alex said:

We could use some production. Not sure what it is with Haase - but because he can C and the Ps like him...

Really begs the question of, if not Haase, who? His spot on this team is guaranteed at the moment by having the skill of catching. 

If Donnie Sands were hitting better in AAA, it would be one thing, but I suspect that they feel they can wait him out because he plays the position and the alternatives aren't exactly great either.

Overall, I do think that given his issues with fielding coupled with his lack of hitting, he probably needs to stay behind home plate and not be put into the outfield going forward. That was ugly.

Edited by mtutiger