08/01/2023 7:05pm EDT Detroit Tigers vs Pittsburgh Pirates

casimir

25 minutes ago, casimir said:

5937291998.gif  7154292020.gif

Detroit Tigers vs Pittsburgh Pirates

Watch:  Pirates - ATT SportsNet-PIT, Tigers - Bally Sports Detroit
Listen:  Pirates - KDKA-FM 93.7, Tigers - 97.1 The Ticket

a2022b47-4b9e-4280-87cd-0c34591a2c0e.jpg?refresh

That baseball card lists a year in Pittsburgh. But Price didn’t play in the majors until 1968. I see quality control was lacking back then as well. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SeattleMike said:

That baseball card lists a year in Pittsburgh. But Price didn’t play in the majors until 1968. I see quality control was lacking back then as well. 

Yeah, I used Price as an "answer" for PIttsburgh - Detroit the other day on immaculate grid and then found out I was wrong.  I didn't realize he never played for the Pirates outside of the minors.  So, I wanted to go with Price, and then when I found this image, I had to use it.

1 hour ago, SeattleMike said:

So he played for the Tigers in 67 not the Pirates. 

Here is the story as recorded at SABR.org

"Price began his career with Kingsport in the Appalachian League in 1960, playing third base and first base. He started catching in ’61 with Grand Forks of the old Northern League, where he spent two years and started developing some power. In 1963, Price began catching full-time, earning Carolina League Player of the Year honors at Kinston while hitting .311 with 19 home runs and a league-leading 109 RBI.

At that point, however, the catching prospect’s career stalled. Sent by Pittsburgh to Triple A, he spent three years with Columbus of the International League while awaiting his chance to break into the Pirates’ lineup. After losing out to Jerry May in 1967 in the battle for the third catcher’s slot at the end of spring training, Price told the Pirates that he wouldn’t go back to Columbus again. Since the Tigers had been asking about Price for a couple of years, the Pirates promptly sold him to Detroit for a reported $50,000 on April 7."

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Here is the story as recorded at SABR.org

In 1963, Price began catching full-time, earning Carolina League Player of the Year honors at Kinston while hitting .311 with 19 home runs and a league-leading 109 RBI.

Price was inducted into the Kinston (NC) Hall of Fame in 1995. Who needs Cooperstown anyway!

7 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Price was inducted into the Kinston (NC) Hall of Fame in 1995. Who needs Cooperstown anyway!

Was trying to remember when Salem, Va entered the Carolina League. I guess it was 1968 or so. The Pirates had their Appalachian League team there prior to that.

2 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Was trying to remember when Salem, Va entered the Carolina League. I guess it was 1968 or so. The Pirates had their Appalachian League team there prior to that.

Don’t recall if you’ve been to Harbor Park in Norfolk:

My wife and I traversed to Norfolk for a couple of games in May (before it got too hot) to see the Bulls/Tides and Harbor Park. As Jim would say, Nice area. However, I was disappointed in the park. I guess I’ve been spoiled by the DBAP in Durham. One of the starters for Durham when we were there was Elvis Rodriquez, of Tiger fame a year ago. 

I’m considering a trip to see Salem during their last series at home this year, maybe a game or two. The Carolina Mudcats are there then. That will check the last box for having attended all current affiliated parks in Virginia. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Don’t recall if you’ve been to Harbor Park in Norfolk:

My wife and I traversed to Norfolk for a couple of games in May (before it got too hot) to see the Bulls/Tides and Harbor Park. As Jim would say, Nice area. However, I was disappointed in the park. I guess I’ve been spoiled by the DBAP in Durham. One of the starters for Durham when we were there was Elvis Rodriquez, of Tiger fame a year ago. 

I’m considering a trip to see Salem during their last series at home this year, maybe a game or two. The Carolina Mudcats are there then. That will check the last box for having attended all current affiliated parks in Virginia. 

I haven't been to Harbor Park yet, it's been a busy summer and I haven't wanted to brave tourist traffic and the tunnel. 😉 The park is over 20 years old and a vast improvement still (from what I've seen from the outside) over the old place near the airport (There's an IKEA there now.

This Spring we stayed at the Aloft hotel next to the park in Durham before my 6 month checkup at Duke. Will be back in September right after the season ends. Our visits to relatives in the area just haven't coincided with home stands.

I was the Salem park several years ago, it's was nice then, I hope it held up. Spent many a summers evening in the early 70s at the old park that doubled as a high school football field.

By the way, if you're looking for interesting ballparks, check out Deltaville, Va. One of the last wooden parks left. There's a small "town league" in the region and they play some games there. We drove by it a couple of weeks ago, but it was about 4 hours before game time. Not much to do there to kill time with smallish dog in tow. (The park does allow dogs)

https://deltavilleballpark.com

Edited by CMRivdogs

When I saw that Jim Price was in the Northern League in 1962 it occurred to me that he played against Willie Horton.  If you check the Duluth Superior roster that year it has an amazing number of future major leaguers on it.  The outfield was Horton, Northrup, and Stanley.