Lions at Rams - Goff's Revenge

buddha

17 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

He's got Hockenson to throw to and lately he doesn't even seem to be going to him much. He's become a Checkdown Charlie and worse yet, he's not even good at the checkdown play calls.

hockenson has been hurt and hasnt been that open, gets little separation, falls down when hit and doesnt make any big plays.  he still seems like a good player who was overdrafted, imo.  do you take a possession tight end in the top 10?  

i guess that's more of a criticism of quinn's talent acquisition process.  ragnow is great but he's a center.  hockenson is a nice possession receiver.  flowers is a solid edge setting run defender.  where are the playmakers or difference makers?

we dont have any.  golladay, i guess.  but as were seeing in new york, that might be more to do with stafford than kenny g.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

hockenson has been hurt and hasnt been that open, gets little separation, falls down when hit and doesnt make any big plays.  he still seems like a good player who was overdrafted, imo.  do you take a possession tight end in the top 10?  

I don't take any TE in the first round unless you can promise me they are Kelce or Gonzalez or Gronk 2.0 and even then, I'm skeptical. I crapped all over the pick at the time and wanted one of Brian Burns, Montez Sweat, Devin Bush, and yeah, Ed Oliver. Sure, Ed Oliver seems like a bust, but I would love to have one of Burns/Sweat/Bush on this horrid defense. Hopefully the new regime has a no TE's in the first round philosophy haha.

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I don't take any TE in the first round unless you can promise me they are Kelce or Gonzalez or Gronk 2.0 and even then, I'm skeptical. I crapped all over the pick at the time and wanted one of Brian Burns, Montez Sweat, Devin Bush, and yeah, Ed Oliver. Sure, Ed Oliver seems like a bust, but I would love to have one of Burns/Sweat/Bush on this horrid defense. Hopefully the new regime has a no TE's in the first round philosophy haha.

its not that he's a tight end, its that he's not the guys you listed.

i would have jumped at kyle pitts even though he was listed as a tight end.  but quinn took a lot of guys with high floors and low ceilings at positions that dont help you win games.  like center and tight end and guard.

It's really hard to believe that Quinn became the GM of an NFL team.  He makes Martin Mayhew look like a genuis.

The Fords need to demonstrate at some point that they can accomplish something positive with the Lions.  Every member of that family has been a craptastic idiot with regards to this organization.

Edited by sabretooth

1 minute ago, buddha said:

its not that he's a tight end, its that he's not the guys you listed.

i would have jumped at kyle pitts even though he was listed as a tight end.  but quinn took a lot of guys with high floors and low ceilings at positions that dont help you win games.  like center and tight end and guard.

Yep. I didn't hate the Hockensen pick at the time cause I thought he would compliment Golladay and Jones nicely and would be a good weapon for Stafford but in hindsight they probably should have gone in another direction. 

45 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

It's really hard to believe that Quinn became the GM of an NFL team.  He makes Martin Mayhew look like a genuis.

The Fords need to demonstrate at some point that they can accomplish something positive with the Lions.  Every member of that family has been a craptastic idiot with regards to this organization.

WCFJr is probably the only one in the family that serious experience in any kind of organizational setting and even in his case that record is checkered. He's been behind some good hires and some not so good ones at FoMoCo. But with the Lions he saw his initial support of Millen blow up in his face and that was apparently enough for him to decide to bail when given the chance. Or who knows, maybe Mom pushed him out! 

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

WCFJr is probably the only one in the family that serious experience in any kind of organizational setting and even in his case that record is checkered. He's been behind some good hires and some not so good ones at FoMoCo. But with the Lions he saw his initial support of Millen blow up in his face and that was apparently enough for him to decide to bail when given the chance. Or who knows, maybe Mom pushed him out! 

i think mom pushed him out.

7 minutes ago, buddha said:

i think mom pushed him out.

I think you also have to assume that that board (and/or the rest of the family) would probably have taken a dim view of him not being 100% focused on being COB at FoMoCO. WCFJr had said more than once, both before and after WCFSr passed, that the company was always his primary interest. Whether he says that out of conviction or convenience, who knows? :classic_laugh:

And if you really want to try and speculate about what kind of undercurrents there might be in the family - consider that WCF Sr was frozen out of an active role in managing Ford. Maybe Mom sees her own son as a bit of turncoat to his father (and her)  in taking the role her husband was denied (which of course also denied her the peak social status that Henry II's wives had).  That's the kind of dynamic where Mom might be more the holder of grudges than Sr himself, who was happy enough to have Jr working with him some on the Lions in his later years.