Lions at Rams - Goff's Revenge

buddha

2 minutes ago, buddha said:

campbell was great in this game.  the lions have no talent and a shit quarterback and they hung tough thanks to ballsy decisions by their head coach and a good defensive scheme that kept them in it.

very impressed with campbell.

I thought Campbell and Glenn coached a solid game overall. Good coaching beeped keep them in this game.

I mocked Stafford once on a post that Goff had to bean to a Super Bowl and he hadn't. Yeeeeeaaaahhhhh, can I have that one back? This guy is like playing NFL Blitz and watching the announcer yell "He got picked off" over and over again. I don't know if there is a video game glitch or just a general lack of talent that made him a turnover machine.

The problem is not Campbell.   The problem is a weak roster and a very very bad Quarterback.     If this team had just an average QB, as in Kirk Cousins, Case Keenum, Taylor Heinicke type of guy they could easily have 3 wins right now.   That's not even aiming high.      If Ryan Fitzpatrick is healthy next year, the Lions should bring him in.  

Going into the season I think most expected them to be about a 4-6 win team but that was with the expectations that they would have Decker, Okwara, Okudah, Ragnow for most of the season and that most importantly that Goff would be closer to average, not closer to worst in the league.  If we knew all of this before the season I think most would say that they would get blown out every week so the fact that they have been somewhat competitive most weeks is a feather in the coaches cap. It's hard to understate just how bad of a roster they are putting out there right now.

15 hours ago, TP_Fan said:

3 points in the 2nd half.  Campbell loses the game by going for it again when he should have taken the points.  

Here you go again, running another coach out of town. Hey, how about the successful fake punts and the successful onside kick that kept them in the game? No mention of that from you.

Also, I seem to recall you hating the previous two coaches because they were too conservative and now you hate Campbell because he's too aggressive. Which is it or are all coaches garbage?

This is the bottom line. This is a roster woefully lacking in talent and on top of that, they have had like 4-5 of their best players out with injury for a large chunk of the season yet this team has been competitive in every game outside of the Cincy game. Yes there's been some coaching errors but the coaches are doing a damn fine job all things considered. Zero wins but it's a big picture thing and this is a team that's competing hard so that's at least a bit of a culture starting to be set. Baby steps

Edited by NYLion

12 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Going into the season I think most expected them to be about a 4-6 win team but that was with the expectations that they would have Decker, Okwara, Okudah, Ragnow for most of the season and that most importantly that Goff would be closer to average, not closer to worst in the league.  If we knew all of this before the season I think most would say that they would get blown out every week so the fact that they have been somewhat competitive most weeks is a feather in the coaches cap. It's hard to understate just how bad of a roster they are putting out there right now.

I agree. I think if you asked the board preseason what our record would be if Goff was out for the year and Blough started every game (to emulate having a 25-32 QB rather than the 16-25 QB we expected), most would have probably said around 2-15... Under those conditions, 0-7 shouldn't be a surprise, and honestly that we would be 2-5 if not for two walk off field goals speaks volumes to the team coming ready to play.

I don’t hate Goff.  He’s exactly what I thought he’d be.  Bad.  But the WR group they are running out there is embarrassing.  The defense is every bit as bad as expected as well having almost no talent in the back 7, or 8 technically since we insist on running a 3-4 with terrible LBs, but they’ve found a way to stop a couple of teams from scoring at will.