Lions at Rams - Goff's Revenge

buddha

Goff is playing as poor as I’ve ever seen a Lion QB.  

No ability to avoid the rush, careless decisions where to throw,  doesn’t protect the ball and fumbles easily , and absolutely no ability to look down the field.  All he does is checkdown.   They call PI on every other play in this league but Goff can’t even get the ball downfield to give them a chance at a cheap flag.  

He’s absolutely among the worst QB’s in the NFL and will most likely be out of football when his Lion contact is finished.  

46 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Goff is playing as poor as I’ve ever seen a Lion QB.  

No ability to avoid the rush, careless decisions where to throw,  doesn’t protect the ball and fumbles easily , and absolutely no ability to look down the field.  All he does is checkdown.   They call PI on every other play in this league but Goff can’t even get the ball downfield to give them a chance at a cheap flag.  

He’s absolutely among the worst QB’s in the NFL and will most likely be out of football when his Lion contact is finished.  

I think it's far to say that some of that is on the super weak WR crew... part of it.  A lot of it is still on Goff... most of it. 

9 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Eh... Not to take away from Brady's amazingness... but honestly that list is of older era QBs when the pass wasn't as all important as it is now.  Comparing Brady to some more modern era guy and while still impressive isn't as "shocking."

Rodgers: 447, Favre: 508, Manning: 539, Brees: 571... in fact the first person on this list, Elway, is ranked 13th on the TD all time leader list.

All that said, I am surprised at how much higher Brady is than the great Kyle Orton.  I suspect that the NFL will be breaking into coverage in other games when Brady is close to TD number 607... there by passing Orton by more than 6x as much.

13 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Trivia question based on career TDs... Who is the QB who's thrown the most TDs for the Lions and only for the Lions?  That is, he didn't throw a TD for any team other than the Lions.  (This means Stafford isn't qualified obviously because he's thrown a TD for another team. )

eric hipple?

1 hour ago, RedRamage said:

Eh... Not to take away from Brady's amazingness... but honestly that list is of older era QBs when the pass wasn't as all important as it is now.  Comparing Brady to some more modern era guy and while still impressive isn't as "shocking."

Rodgers: 447, Favre: 508, Manning: 539, Brees: 571... in fact the first person on this list, Elway, is ranked 13th on the TD all time leader list.

All that said, I am surprised at how much higher Brady is than the great Kyle Orton.  I suspect that the NFL will be breaking into coverage in other games when Brady is close to TD number 607... there by passing Orton by more than 6x as much.

only two guys in the top 20 who hung them up before 1990 - Fran Tarkington and Johnny U. And Tarkington wasn't even really that successful win/loss wise.

2 hours ago, RedRamage said:

Yeah the game was different even 15 years ago much less 30 or 40. Not only is there more emphasis on passing there are just more rules to make it harder for defenders. 

It was much harder for a receiver to get open back in the day due to how lenient the dbs were allowed to play, not the case anymore. And all this doesnt even take into account how much more protected QBs are which makes their life even easier. 

The Jets just acquired Joe Flacco because they let their rookie QB get destroyed again. 

Why can't the Lions pick up a better backup?    They need to win a game.   Fine if they get a #1 or #2 pick, but they need a win badly.  Having someone you could turn to when Goff is being Goff or even having someone that might challenge him even a little bit could help get that win.  

13 hours ago, RedRamage said:

I only posted it because it listed Kyle Orton as a legend. I chuckled a bit at that. 

31 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

The Jets just acquired Joe Flacco because they let their rookie QB get destroyed again. 

Why can't the Lions pick up a better backup?    They need to win a game.   Fine if they get a #1 or #2 pick, but they need a win badly.  Having someone you could turn to when Goff is being Goff or even having someone that might challenge him even a little bit could help get that win.  

I wouldn't trade draft capital for a backup and Joe Flacco isn't any better than Goff. 

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

david blough is better than joe flacco.  not sure why you need a "better" backup.  

you want to spend money on chase daniels again?  how did that go?

i mean, if the idea is just to have better players on the roster than sure, but spending money on backup qbs will leave you weaker at depth at other positions.  

the bears have fields, foles, and dalton.  with foles and dalton both making like $10 million.  is that what you want?

I think the Jets were dumb to trade anything for the corpse of Joe Flacco. He adds no value whatsoever to a team that is going nowhere and needs to maximize their draft capital. I'm glad this regime has not panicked and looked to add another QB to the roster via a trade. The Trinity Benson trade was worthless enough, we don't need to be surrendering anymore draft picks for a player who will provide no impact whatsoever on a lost season.

3 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Or Colin Kapernick. But yeah. it was a pointless trade for them and it would be pointless for the Lions to try and bring someone in to push Goff at this point.

colin kapernick wasnt all that great and hasnt played football in about 4 years.  i know you want to make a political statement, but if youre an nfl gm, why would you sign him?

3 minutes ago, djhutch said:

I am not trying to be a Goff apologist - but I wonder how much of his struggle is also based in a WR group that is so bad? Granted he's even missed them when they're open, but there could be a lot of wrong routes being run too.

He's got Hockenson to throw to and lately he doesn't even seem to be going to him much. He's become a Checkdown Charlie and worse yet, he's not even good at the checkdown play calls.