08/18/2023 TBD (Game 2) Detroit Tigers vs Cleveland Guardians

casimir

Shep and CMo talking about the guy on the Guardians being a high pick but not panning out thus far and CMO talks about how not all high drafts work out in baseball(duh) made me think of a tidbit I read the other day and that's that out of the 2016, 17 and 18 drafts there have only been 1 All Star total and that was Trevor Rogers of the Marlins and even he hasn't been good outside of that AS season. Those guys are all still young but crazy to think that this many years later there still has only been 1. 

2 hours ago, Tigermojo said:

Why try to go first to third on a hit to left field?

Yes I just saw that replay.  Here's something that was drilled into all of us when we were 14:  never, ever get thrown out at third base when there are 0 out, or 2 out.  Never.  Especially 2 out...what are you going to do, score on a sac fly?  These guys are not fundamentally sound, not well coached.

And on top of that, to be thrown out at third by the left fielder?  I bet that more than half of these guys play an entire career without that happening.

Edited by Jim Cowan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Adullin said:

Hmmmm another game another strike called 3 inches off the plate low. 

So we sat almost behind the plate at 5/3 tonight and twice when an Omaha player asked for an appeal on a called strike, it  was overturned and called a ball, and then he struck out anyway. :classic_laugh:

Was interested to see the challenge system work though. I don't really like it. Suddenly the game stops and your not sure why if you missed someone tap their helmet (the appeal signal), then 15 sec of mill and dawdle waiting for the call. I get the idea that the league doesn't immediately want the umps to lose their practice calling balls and strikes if you give them every call electronically, but it would be a better fan experience that way.

1 hour ago, Jim Cowan said:

Yes I just saw that replay.  Here's something that was drilled into all of us when we were 14:  never, ever get thrown out at third base when there are 0 out, or 2 out.  Never.  Especially 2 out...what are you going to do, score on a sac fly?  These guys are not fundamentally sound, not well coached.

And on top of that, to be thrown out at third by the left fielder?  I bet that more than half of these guys play an entire career without that happening.

that one. and the other one is getting thrown out at 2nd because you thought you were watching yourself hit a HR, but then not so much. Eddys Leonard guilty at Toledo tonight.

22 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

that one. and the other one is getting thrown out at 2nd because you thought you were watching yourself hit a HR, but then not so much. Eddys Leonard guilty at Toledo tonight.

Yes I hate that too, all the styling and posing, and then the ball hits the wall and you are DOA at 2nd.

14 hours ago, Tigermojo said:

Why try to go first to third on a hit to left field?

I didn't mind it as much IF Carpenter saw the LF being lax the play.  The throw was a wiffle ball out, it was actually at Carpenter rather than 3B.  So, I think there was a little bit of fluke on the tag out because it was on the money when it wasn't on the money.

The other thing is that these are both pretty brutal offenses but Wentz was on the mound.  Advantage, Cleveland.  So, Detroit had to take some risks somewhere along the line.

As it turned out, they were basically shut out.  Tough to assume Carpenter gets driven in from 2B with 2 out and bottom half of the lineup at the plate.