Trade Bridgewater?

RedRamage

Disclaimer: This is a purely speculative discussion here! I have ZERO knowledge that the Jets are interested or that the Lions would be willing.  But, purely for the sake of discussion purposes:

If the Jets came calling about Bridgewater, what would it take for you to consider trading? I know most of us wanted an upgrade at backup QB and most of us were pretty happy that the Lions signed Bridgewater. But I also know that he's a backup with zero plans to develop him as a possible replacement for Goff, so he's not "untradeable" if the right offer comes along. So, what's the right offer? What would make you willing to have Sudfeld move up to be the the backup?

As I said in another thread, it would be so old Lions to trade Bridgewater in the year they are contending only to watch Goff go down and their season be over.

The best the Jets could offer is a 2024 3rd round pick.  No way am I considering trading Bridgewater for that.  Hopefully he never sees the field for the Lions, but they need the insurance this season. 

I guess if the Jets offered Garret Wilson our Sauce Gardner I'd be interested, but there isn't a realistic offer I would trade him for at this point in the season.  Now if Hooker is back by the trade deadline and they are comfortable with his development (I'd be shocked if that was the case so quickly), then I might listen to offers, but the point is to have a viable backup if Goff would go down for an extended time so the Lions' hopes aren't ruined like the Jets are.

Not like it would happen but if the Jets offer a 5th I take it and run. The Lions are hooped if Goff goes down for a lengthy period of time anyway and Bridgewater is only a couple of month stopgap until Hooker is ready anyway so I'll take the magic bean if the Jets come calling.

@4hzglory you wouldn't take a 3rd for Teddy?  I'd take that and run away laughing maniacally. 

I think some of you value backup QB a lot more than I do. Outside of the one off in Nick Foles, I can't think of any situation where a backup saved the season for a contender. Well, Bridgewater did hold it down for the Saints several years back but they also had a tremendous supporting cast not too different than what the Lions are building.

Sure it's nice insurance to have but if I get something that could potentially be a long term solution in return for Bridgewater, I'm taking it. Go sign Wentz or somebody to replace him, there are proven options out there. This is why I can't see the Jets giving anything of value for Bridgewater, they could sign a similar level guy off the free agent market or just throw all the $$$ at Brady to see if he bites.

Edited by NYLion

13 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Not like it would happen but if the Jets offer a 5th I take it and run. The Lions are hooped if Goff goes down for a lengthy period of time anyway and Bridgewater is only a couple of month stopgap until Hooker is ready anyway so I'll take the magic bean if the Jets come calling.

@4hzglory you wouldn't take a 3rd for Teddy?  I'd take that and run away laughing maniacally. 

I think some of you value backup QB a lot more than I do. Outside of the one off in Nick Foles, I can't think of any situation where a backup saved the season for a contender. Well, Bridgewater did hold it down for the Saints several years back but they also had a tremendous supporting cast not too different than what the Lions are building.

Sure it's nice insurance to have but if I get something that could potentially be a long term solution in return for Bridgewater, I'm taking it. Go sign Wentz or somebody to replace him, there are proven options out there. This is why I can't see the Jets giving anything of value for Bridgewater, they could sign a similar level guy off the free agent market or just throw all the $$$ at Brady to see if he bites.

If the Lions valued Bridgewater as only a 5th round pick, they wouldn't have signed him.  They had all offseason to sign Wentz, Ryan, etc but didn't view them the same way as Bridgewater.   Bridgewater now has a month plus in the system which any new guy would have to learn.  A quality backup that can give the team a reasonable chance is critical to a team with deep playoff hopes/expectations. 

And people need to stop thinking Brady is a viable option for anyone but the Raiders.  His ownership share basically eliminates every other team from signing him unless he sells/foregoes his ownership.

19 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Oh, and Garroppolo and then Purdy both saved the SF's season last year.  If Purdy had to come in right away, it is very unlikely they would have been in the position they were at the time he actually needed to play.

53 minutes ago, 4hzglory said:

Oh, and Garroppolo and then Purdy both saved the SF's season last year.  If Purdy had to come in right away, it is very unlikely they would have been in the position they were at the time he actually needed to play.

Garroppolo was their starter and Purdy was complete dumb luck but, still, he's a draft pick so there's always a chance of a young guy showing out. I can't imagine that retread backups are worth much of anything so that's why I'd take a decent draft pick for Bridgewater if offered. 

I see some value in having a quality backup QB although I feel it's becoming less and less important as QBs are being protected more and more every year and we're seeing less injuries as a result Rodgers notwithstanding but I don't think backup QB is critical to any team success. It's a nice insurance plan as a temporary solution nothing more unless the backup is a developmental guy with upside then you hold on to that guy until you see what you got like Hooker for instance. I'm not trading him for a 5th or even a 3rd. There's always the chance with Hooker that you can get a Brady or to an obviously much lesser scale Purdy out of it where your guy goes down and the backup comes in and takes over as THE guy. That's not happening with Bridgewater, you'll get a game manager for a game or two with him at best.

Edited by NYLion