09/24/2023 4:07pm EDT Detroit Tigers vs Oakland Athletics

casimir

Here we are, one week from the end of another rebuild season, in spite of what the owner believes.
If the Tigers don’t have an honest goal of winning this division next year it will be inexcusable, irregardless of what ERod does. I hope Greenberg can make an immediate difference in Detroit. 

I think they will honestly try to win the division next year while sticking to their plan of focusing on cleaning the rot out of the system. The key might end up being big steps forward from young guys already in the system, versus getting top tier free agents or dealing from the top of the system for established major league regulars.

19 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I think they will honestly try to win the division next year while sticking to their plan of focusing on cleaning the rot out of the system. The key might end up being big steps forward from young guys already in the system, versus getting top tier free agents or dealing from the top of the system for established major league regulars.

10 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Do we go after our next Miggy in the offseason?  Jobe, Keith and some spare parts for Juan Soto, assuming he’d agree to a contract extension? SD has to move some salary.

A presence like Soto in the lineup would make Greene, Tork, Carpenter and Baez better.

I don’t think there’s much to gain from free agency, except for another Lorenzen type of move.  I do think there’s opportunity to bring salary in from a team heavy on salary that might not cost the Tigers much in terms of prospect capital.

I don’t know that Soto is the guy.  But I’d like to bring in Kim for 2B or 3B.  Put him at  the top of the lineup.  What would it take?

Just now, casimir said:

I don’t think there’s much to gain from free agency, except for another Lorenzen type of move.  I do think there’s opportunity to bring salary in from a team heavy on salary that might not cost the Tigers much in terms of prospect capital.

I don’t know that Soto is the guy.  But I’d like to bring in Kim for 2B or 3B.  Put him at  the top of the lineup.  What would it take?

They won’t want to move Kim—he’s on a reasonable deal.  I suspect they will want to move at least one of Soto, Machado, Tatis or Bogarts.  They have a ton of salary tied up in those 4.

Just now, chasfh said:

Dealing from the top of the system.

In terms of actual players to get an established six-win guy like Kim, it might take something like Skubal (establishing) and Malloy (untested) and Keith (untested) plus something else, possibly cash.

To get a Soto or equivalent, it might take at least two of the above plus absorb 100% of remaining salary.

4 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

They won’t want to move Kim—he’s on a reasonable deal.  I suspect they will want to move at least one of Soto, Machado, Tatis or Bogarts.  They have a ton of salary tied up in those 4.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Dealing from the top of the system.

31 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

I think Soto is a free agent soon so no to him and all the high priced Padres for me. That team is under achieving big time. Not leaders in my book. Pass. 

Sure, Kim is on a reasonable deal.  What if the Tigers take on Carpenter who has a player option next season? It’s only $5M or $6M, but he’s going to pick it up.  The Tigers can give him spring training to do whatever and cut him.  It might not be much to tack into a deal, but maybe it moves a needle somewhat.

What if they take on a different somewhat onerous contract?  Darvish’s contract goes a bit deep into his aging.  But is he a pitcher that might age reasonably well?  Or what about Musgrove?  It’s a higher AAV although given the difference in age, he might be a better future value (caveat being I see he’s on the IL right now and I’m not sure why).

I wouldn’t be adverse to moving from the top of the system.  I’d be willing to float one of the lefty hitting IFs without a position in the right move.  In theory from the seat of message board GM, sure, they could put Keith and Jung in some alignment of one at 2B and one at 3B.  But both possibilities might not be ideal long term, particularly with Torkelson’s lack of range at 1B.

It is not my hope that we keep all our prospects. I don’t care if we do or if we don’t.  It’s perfectly fine by me to deal from the top of the system when it’s the right time to do so. What I’m saying is I would be very surprised if we do so this winter, and I don’t think we will. I believe we will deal top prospects when it’s time to obtain star established major leaguers who will put us over the top to win the division or go deep into October. I don’t think this franchise is in that position yet.