09/26/2023 6:40 pm EDT Kansas City Royals vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

8 hours ago, Tigermojo said:

I'm a Baddoo fan but I think we're seeing the problem he is going to face and it's Meadows, who can do everything Baddoo can but better. Add Greene and Carpenter and there is less room on the roster for more left handed outfielders.

You can't pencil Baddoo in the line-up or even on the roster next year.  It's a matter as to whether they want to keep him in the organization to see if there is any development left after being rushed to the majors.

Meadows has a great glove.  Whether or not he will hit over a full season is still in question.  Baddoo looked like hitter like a potential power speed guy at one point too.  Meadows needs to be given a full-seasin trial though.  

In Baddoo's favor, he's still only 24 this year an is still only at 1000 AB. Not so much in his favor is that it's hard to see any progress or evolution in his hitting over those 1000 AB.

I don't how the Tigers will come down on it, but I like Vierling the most of all the guys potentially on bubbles because not only can he play all three OF and 3B, but he has almost zero platoon split - so to me he's their most ideal 'anywhere, anytime' player.

19 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

At this point I think it comes down to Baddoo versus a bunch of other guys for the 26th spot.   

Akil still has at least one option left so they don't have to let him go if he doesn't make the 26, and I suppose in the case that Parker has a terrible ST, Baddoo might be the alternate to come North with the team in his place.

40 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Won’t it ultimately come down to whether the Tigers want to use a 40-man roster spot on him?  Not sure how many have graduated to require a spot on the 40-man, though we have a handful of players I’d be willing to discard before Akil.

If we do a little rough math...

Gone: Erod, McK, Maton, Cisnero, Wingetner, Vest, A Meadows, Cabrera, Kelley + maybe gone: Nevin, Turnbull,  Ibanez. =9 + 3 maybes

Incoming: 2 FA Starters, 1/2 FA reliever, Catcher, Keith, Malloy, Perez, 2 FA bats.  = 9. 

Seems like the ins and out may be in reasonable balance. 

14 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Gone: Erod, McK, Maton, Cisnero, Wingetner, Vest, A Meadows, Cabrera, Kelley + maybe gone: Nevin, Turnbull,  Ibanez. =9 + 3 maybes

Incoming: 2 FA Starters, 1/2 FA reliever, Catcher, Keith, Malloy, Perez, 2 FA bats.  = 9. 

I can see Mck Kelly and Ibanez still being around  maybe stashed away in  Toledo.... I dont believe Jhen and Keith make it up til later in the season I dont think the Defensive issues have gone away and Harris seems very conservative with Prospects

3 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

You’re not including guys in our minors that need to be put on the 40 man roster or risk being exposed in the Rule 5 draft.

10 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

good point. Do you have a  count?

Madden, Mattison, Hurter? Maybe Couch, Malgeri?

None of those.

Flores, Dingler, and maybe Montero.

From my sheet... Minor league free agent eligible. If re-signed to a minor league deal, they are Rule 5 eligible.

MILB FA Eligible
Luis Acosta
Eliezer Alfonzo
Elvis Alvarado
Jose Alvarez
Braden Bristo
Esney Chacon
Gregoris Chalas
Sam Clay
Angel De Jesus
Bryan Encarnacion
Mario Feliciano
Rony Garcia
Max Green
Sean Guenther
Wilkel Hernandez
Eiker Huizi
Marco Jimenez
Zach Logue
Eric Mendez
Keider Montero
Henry Montilla
Tim Naughton
Quincy Nieporte
Michael Papierski
Cleiverth Perez
DJ Peters
Julio Rodriguez
Bryan Sammons
Yosber Sanchez
Luis Santana
Nick Solak
Cristhian Tortosa
Luis Watter
Aneurys Zabala

And Rule 5 eligible:

Rule 5 Eligible
Yeremi Bastardo
Lazaro Benitez
Austin Bergner
Michael Bienlien
Jorge Boyer
Jaison Brete
Danny Cabrera
Blair Calvo
Roberto Campos
Angel Cruz
Jesus Cruz
Trei Cruz
Daneurys De la Cruz
Jose De La Cruz
Raudy De Los Santos
Daniele Di Monte
Jose Diaz
Dillon Dingler
Geury Estevez
Wilmer Fenelon
Wilmer Flores
Dario Gardea
Alvaro Gonzalez
Layne Henderson
Martin Herrera
Zack Hess
Jake Higginbotham
Jake Holton
Ricardo Hurtado
Edgardo Ibarra
Corey Joyce
Abraham Landaeta
Iverson Leonardo
Abelaldo Lopez
Jesus Machado
Andrew Magno
Dany Martinez
Chris Mauloni
Carlos Mendoza
Williander Moreno
Andrew Navigato
Hendry Nunez
Jack O'Loughlin
Jose Ochoa
Carlos Pena
Erick Pinales
Jose Reina
Adinso Reyes
Angel Reyes
Jose Rivas
Erick Rodriguez
Moises Rodriguez
Samuel Rojas
Newremberg Rondon
Gabriel Sequeira
Manuel Sequera
Rolando Sirit
Ted Stuka
Sergio Tapia
Bryce Tassin
Eduardo Valencia
John Valente
Moises Valero
Matt Walker
Adam Wolf
Gage Workman

14 hours ago, Toddwert said:

I can see Mck Kelly and Ibanez still being around  maybe stashed away in  Toledo.... I dont believe Jhen and Keith make it up til later in the season I dont think the Defensive issues have gone away and Harris seems very conservative with Prospects

I can see Ibanez sticking around. I don’t know that they will try to pass Kelly through waivers so they can stash him away in Toledo. I think the front office is gonna give him a chance to hook on for a starting job someplace else.

I don’t think McKinstry or Maton are going anywhere. I also don’t think we keep Joey Wentz so we can lose Will Vest.

19 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I can see Ibanez sticking around. I don’t know that they will try to pass Kelly through waivers so they can stash him away in Toledo. I think the front office is gonna give him a chance to hook on for a starting job someplace else.

I don’t think McKinstry or Maton are going anywhere. I also don’t think we keep Joey Wentz so we can lose Will Vest.

Ibanez has had a good second half and final month in particular (although, BABIP help?).  What stands out to me is his BB/SO.  Is the "plate discipline" a sign of progression as a hitter or is it merely a mirage?

image.png.e65c1fbacee94f826b7ecbbf02033f60.png

Edit to add:  I have been under the assumption that he's a not a returnee, but am growing a bit less solid on that.

Edited by casimir

1 hour ago, casimir said:

Ibanez has had a good second half and final month in particular (although, BABIP help?).  What stands out to me is his BB/SO.  Is the "plate discipline" a sign of progression as a hitter or is it merely a mirage?

image.png.e65c1fbacee94f826b7ecbbf02033f60.png

Edit to add:  I have been under the assumption that he's a not a returnee, but am growing a bit less solid on that.

I think both he and McKinstry might return for the very reason so many fans hate: they have the flexibility to play multiple positions. I think that's important for rebuilding teams that don't have a surplus of everyday players, but that still needs to try to win games in the meantime. I do think once we get solid everyday guys to play either second or third, one of them may be released. Maybe that's next year, maybe that's 2025.

Fun fact: Ibanez and McKinstry rank 3-4 along Tigers position players this year in WAR, behind only Carpenter and Greene, and ahead of Tork, Baez, Jake, and everyone else.

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

None of those.

Flores, Dingler, and maybe Montero.

From my sheet... Minor league free agent eligible. If re-signed to a minor league deal, they are Rule 5 eligible.

MILB FA Eligible
Luis Acosta
Eliezer Alfonzo
Elvis Alvarado
Jose Alvarez
Braden Bristo
Esney Chacon
Gregoris Chalas
Sam Clay
Angel De Jesus
Bryan Encarnacion
Mario Feliciano
Rony Garcia
Max Green
Sean Guenther
Wilkel Hernandez
Eiker Huizi
Marco Jimenez
Zach Logue
Eric Mendez
Keider Montero
Henry Montilla
Tim Naughton
Quincy Nieporte
Michael Papierski
Cleiverth Perez
DJ Peters
Julio Rodriguez
Bryan Sammons
Yosber Sanchez
Luis Santana
Nick Solak
Cristhian Tortosa
Luis Watter
Aneurys Zabala

And Rule 5 eligible:

Rule 5 Eligible
Yeremi Bastardo
Lazaro Benitez
Austin Bergner
Michael Bienlien
Jorge Boyer
Jaison Brete
Danny Cabrera
Blair Calvo
Roberto Campos
Angel Cruz
Jesus Cruz
Trei Cruz
Daneurys De la Cruz
Jose De La Cruz
Raudy De Los Santos
Daniele Di Monte
Jose Diaz
Dillon Dingler
Geury Estevez
Wilmer Fenelon
Wilmer Flores
Dario Gardea
Alvaro Gonzalez
Layne Henderson
Martin Herrera
Zack Hess
Jake Higginbotham
Jake Holton
Ricardo Hurtado
Edgardo Ibarra
Corey Joyce
Abraham Landaeta
Iverson Leonardo
Abelaldo Lopez
Jesus Machado
Andrew Magno
Dany Martinez
Chris Mauloni
Carlos Mendoza
Williander Moreno
Andrew Navigato
Hendry Nunez
Jack O'Loughlin
Jose Ochoa
Carlos Pena
Erick Pinales
Jose Reina
Adinso Reyes
Angel Reyes
Jose Rivas
Erick Rodriguez
Moises Rodriguez
Samuel Rojas
Newremberg Rondon
Gabriel Sequeira
Manuel Sequera
Rolando Sirit
Ted Stuka
Sergio Tapia
Bryce Tassin
Eduardo Valencia
John Valente
Moises Valero
Matt Walker
Adam Wolf
Gage Workman

That seem that an unusually high number of eligibles for one team! Does this year hit some kind of peak because of the lost Covid season?

Ibanez is the exactly the kind of utility player you want on a good team*. The question is whether the Tiger start viewing themselves as a good team or not.

*i.e. not a player you signed because you were hoping he could turn into a regular and actually fill a hole in a crappy lineup. or IOW,  not a McKinstry or Maton.

Arbitration eligible:

• Tyler Alexander
  • Akil Baddoo (I think, he is above my projected Super 2 Cutoff)
  • Carson Kelly (If option is declined)
  • Austin Meadows
  • Casey Mize
  • Jake Rogers
  • Tarik Skubal
  • Spencer Turnbill
  • Trey Wingenter

I've got Alex Lange as the first player below the Super 2 Cutoff. It's possible I'm off because counting days of service is tough.

3 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Out of options next year:

• Miguel Diaz
  • Zach McKinstry
  • Zack Short
  • Tyler Nevin
  • Joey Wentz
  • Andrew Vasquez
  • Nick Maton

A mostly replaceable group. Diaz has done OK. I don't see any of the bats being significant contributors to a winning team. McKinstry made a contribution early this season this season but I really don't care for guys that collapse in the second half, argues that pitchers have them figured out so their future is dim.

3 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Arbitration eligible:

• Tyler Alexander
  • Akil Baddoo (I think, he is above my projected Super 2 Cutoff)
  • Carson Kelly (If option is declined)
  • Austin Meadows
  • Casey Mize
  • Jake Rogers
  • Tarik Skubal
  • Spencer Turnbill
  • Trey Wingenter

I've got Alex Lange as the first player below the Super 2 Cutoff. It's possible I'm off because counting days of service is tough.

Curious to see if they offer Turnbull or if all the speculation about bad blood was just smoke.