09/26/2023 6:40 pm EDT Kansas City Royals vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

A mostly replaceable group. Diaz has done OK. I don't see any of the bats being significant contributors to a winning team. McKinstry made a contribution early this season this season but I really don't care for guys that collapse in the second half, argues that pitchers have them figured out so their future is dim.

And when McKinstry did get on base it seemed he was often running into outs....The Dodgers aren't stupid.

4 hours ago, Edman85 said:

None of those.

Flores, Dingler, and maybe Montero.

From my sheet... Minor league free agent eligible. If re-signed to a minor league deal, they are Rule 5 eligible.

MILB FA Eligible
Luis Acosta
Eliezer Alfonzo
Elvis Alvarado
Jose Alvarez
Braden Bristo
Esney Chacon
Gregoris Chalas
Sam Clay
Angel De Jesus
Bryan Encarnacion
Mario Feliciano
Rony Garcia
Max Green
Sean Guenther
Wilkel Hernandez
Eiker Huizi
Marco Jimenez
Zach Logue
Eric Mendez
Keider Montero
Henry Montilla
Tim Naughton
Quincy Nieporte
Michael Papierski
Cleiverth Perez
DJ Peters
Julio Rodriguez
Bryan Sammons
Yosber Sanchez
Luis Santana
Nick Solak
Cristhian Tortosa
Luis Watter
Aneurys Zabala

And Rule 5 eligible:

Rule 5 Eligible
Yeremi Bastardo
Lazaro Benitez
Austin Bergner
Michael Bienlien
Jorge Boyer
Jaison Brete
Danny Cabrera
Blair Calvo
Roberto Campos
Angel Cruz
Jesus Cruz
Trei Cruz
Daneurys De la Cruz
Jose De La Cruz
Raudy De Los Santos
Daniele Di Monte
Jose Diaz
Dillon Dingler
Geury Estevez
Wilmer Fenelon
Wilmer Flores
Dario Gardea
Alvaro Gonzalez
Layne Henderson
Martin Herrera
Zack Hess
Jake Higginbotham
Jake Holton
Ricardo Hurtado
Edgardo Ibarra
Corey Joyce
Abraham Landaeta
Iverson Leonardo
Abelaldo Lopez
Jesus Machado
Andrew Magno
Dany Martinez
Chris Mauloni
Carlos Mendoza
Williander Moreno
Andrew Navigato
Hendry Nunez
Jack O'Loughlin
Jose Ochoa
Carlos Pena
Erick Pinales
Jose Reina
Adinso Reyes
Angel Reyes
Jose Rivas
Erick Rodriguez
Moises Rodriguez
Samuel Rojas
Newremberg Rondon
Gabriel Sequeira
Manuel Sequera
Rolando Sirit
Ted Stuka
Sergio Tapia
Bryce Tassin
Eduardo Valencia
John Valente
Moises Valero
Matt Walker
Adam Wolf
Gage Workman

What do you think about Trei Cruz ? Worth protecting or not ?

4 hours ago, chasfh said:

I think both he and McKinstry might return for the very reason so many fans hate: they have the flexibility to play multiple positions. I think that's important for rebuilding teams that don't have a surplus of everyday players, but that still needs to try to win games in the meantime. I do think once we get solid everyday guys to play either second or third, one of them may be released. Maybe that's next year, maybe that's 2025.

Fun fact: Ibanez and McKinstry rank 3-4 along Tigers position players this year in WAR, behind only Carpenter and Greene, and ahead of Tork, Baez, Jake, and everyone else.

Do fans really hate them for that?  I would think Tiger fans hate the fact that there aren't enough everyday players and guys like Ibanez and McKinstry who should be on the bench are forced into more regular duty than their skills merit.

18 minutes ago, casimir said:

Do fans really hate them for that?  I would think Tiger fans hate the fact that there aren't enough everyday players and guys like Ibanez and McKinstry who should be on the bench are forced into more regular duty than their skills merit.

I see a lot of criticism of the Smartest Guy in the Room moving players around from position to position on a game to game basis. I didn’t say fans hated the person for that, and maybe it doesn’t even reflect actual hatred for the tactic itself, but it does suggest to me they believe the Guy should be doing something different than that with the players he has. 

15 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I see a lot of criticism of the Smartest Guy in the Room moving players around from position to position on a game to game basis. I didn’t say fans hated the person for that, and maybe it doesn’t even reflect actual hatred for the tactic itself, but it does suggest to me they believe the Guy should be doing something different than that with the players he has. 

I know I've been critical of pitching decisions, mostly pulling relievers after quick innings.  But that's a generic peeve that I have of how the game is played these days.

I understand what he's doing with the platooning and trying to play to matchups.  I'm sure I've disagreed with some position player moves along the way.  But, again, I think he's trying to gain whatever edge he can wherever he can to try to win a ballgame.  I'd say the Maton at 3B thing bugs me the most.  Hinch has forgotten more baseball than I will ever know, but Maton, in my completely amateur opinion, looks like a guy that has more skill set with range rather than reaction.  It just seems like he doesn't have that quick twitch that's needed at 3B.  McKinstry appeared to be a better 3B option.  And for quite a while, those two were in the lineup together vs RHPs, with Maton at 3B and McKinstry at 2B.

26 minutes ago, casimir said:

I know I've been critical of pitching decisions, mostly pulling relievers after quick innings.  But that's a generic peeve that I have of how the game is played these days.

I understand what he's doing with the platooning and trying to play to matchups.  I'm sure I've disagreed with some position player moves along the way.  But, again, I think he's trying to gain whatever edge he can wherever he can to try to win a ballgame.  I'd say the Maton at 3B thing bugs me the most.  Hinch has forgotten more baseball than I will ever know, but Maton, in my completely amateur opinion, looks like a guy that has more skill set with range rather than reaction.  It just seems like he doesn't have that quick twitch that's needed at 3B.  McKinstry appeared to be a better 3B option.  And for quite a while, those two were in the lineup together vs RHPs, with Maton at 3B and McKinstry at 2B.

I have to agree that the handling of third over the last couple of years has defied explanation. It's extremely hard to understand the criteria they are using give guys innings there. Especially considering that the Twins and Rays have gotten a decent returns from Willi Castro and Isaac Paredes playing 3d and the Tigers never gave either a serious look there. Seems they have trouble recognizing a decent 3b even when they have one.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

And Roberto Campos... although he's even further away...

But Cruz and Workman seemed to make some minor improvements this year...

The only reason to add a player to the 40 man is if you think another team will select them and keep them in their ML roster all season.  Very little risk of that happening with either Cruz or Workman. And if another team decides to do that, you let them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, casimir said:

I wonder whether the reason Hinch ran Maton out there for so long night have been that Maton was showing flashes of "getting it", maybe during games or drills or something, and he was getting every chance to finally make it click until it became apparent that he just wasn't, at least not this year he wasn't. Hitting .173 sure didn't help, either. The one thing Maton can do is work counts and draw walks, but no one is going to make a career on a skill set with that in the center of it.

He hasn't played much third since going to Toledo, and I'm wondering what they see as his future here, if any. I think they'll give him one more hack next spring, if they can't package him in some trade. I'd be a little surprised if they just cut bait on him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

The only reason to add a player to the 40 man is if you think another team will select them and keep them in their ML roster all season.  Very little risk of that happening with either Cruz or Workman. And if another team decides to do that, you let them.

Yeah good point, I always forget about that stipulation. In that case then if Campos is eligible then we don't have to worry about protecting him since he's nowhere near ready for the majors. 

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

I wonder whether the reason Hinch ran Maton out there for so long night have been that Maton was showing flashes of "getting it", maybe during games or drills or something, and he was getting every chance to finally make it click until it became apparent that he just wasn't, at least not this year he wasn't. Hitting .173 sure didn't help, either. The one thing Maton can do is work counts and draw walks, but no one is going to make a career on a skill set with that in the center of it.

He hasn't played much third since going to Toledo, and I'm wondering what they see as his future here, if any. I think they'll give him one more hack next spring, if they can't package him in some trade. I'd be a little surprised if they just cut bait on him.

I think there’s some bad luck in that .173.  BABIP wasn’t his friend.  Fly ball rate went up significantly and line drive rate tanked.  Those numbers were trash, and oh by the way, he altered his hands at the plate halfway through the season.  Maybe the offense carried over to defense, I think those things happen sometimes.

I don’t know what his future holds.  We can all agree it was a frustrating season for him.  I wouldn’t run him off and I wouldn’t assume he’s an option for next season.  Ideally the Tigers add an everyday player or two which reduces the platooning a bit.  What are we looking at, probably 2 Cs, 5 OFs, and 6 IFs?  And we know some LF those spots will overlap a bit, which is fine.

Baez and Torkleson are 2 spots.  Hopefully they bring in a legit MLB player for one of 2B or 3B.  So, what, 2 or 3 backup/platoon IFs?  Short, Ibanez, McKinstry, Maton, Lipcius, and Kreidler are the 40 man incumbents.  Do we set up a conference call with Harris and Greenberg or do we have a heal or hurt thread and submit the results to them?

13 hours ago, casimir said:

I think there’s some bad luck in that .173.  BABIP wasn’t his friend.  Fly ball rate went up significantly and line drive rate tanked.  Those numbers were trash, and oh by the way, he altered his hands at the plate halfway through the season.  Maybe the offense carried over to defense, I think those things happen sometimes.

I don’t know what his future holds.  We can all agree it was a frustrating season for him.  I wouldn’t run him off and I wouldn’t assume he’s an option for next season.  Ideally the Tigers add an everyday player or two which reduces the platooning a bit.  What are we looking at, probably 2 Cs, 5 OFs, and 6 IFs?  And we know some LF those spots will overlap a bit, which is fine.

Baez and Torkleson are 2 spots.  Hopefully they bring in a legit MLB player for one of 2B or 3B.  So, what, 2 or 3 backup/platoon IFs?  Short, Ibanez, McKinstry, Maton, Lipcius, and Kreidler are the 40 man incumbents.  Do we set up a conference call with Harris and Greenberg or do we have a heal or hurt thread and submit the results to them?

Been a long time since I thought of heal or hurt. Thanks for the memory.