09/26/2023 6:40 pm EDT Kansas City Royals vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

4 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

7 years.  

I have to admit, it's not as bad as I though it might be. He hasn't been very productive, but he hasn't been the catastrophe I feared he would -  other than April. Since May 1 he's manage a 680 OPS, which on this team meant he wasn't really playing at the expense of a better player, at least on the current roster. That not to say had he not been here maybe Malloy gets called up, but that's a slightly different argument.

Of course it still would have been far nicer to have a team good enough that carrying him all year would have been a more controversial decision!

I remember when US players 1st started going back and forth to Japan they faced some culture shock over the fact that there were issues of decorum in Japanese baseball that were more important to the Japanese than winning and losing, and American players who missed the message were likely not to be appreciated. 

Now the traditional cut throat American teams that often threw Hall of Famers overboard at the ends of their careers, have their own issues that transcend winning and losing but it's about money, contracts and marketing rather than decorum.