09/26/2023 6:40 pm EDT Kansas City Royals vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

2 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

My AAT Parker Meadows is trying to finish the year strong, he got off to that hot start when he got called up only to come down to the Earth and hit a horrible stretch of a few weeks but now he is starting to climb his way back up. Getting his OPS back close to league average after tonight's home run. 

He's so good defensively, I'd be happy with a .700 OPS.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

My AAT Parker Meadows is trying to finish the year strong, he got off to that hot start when he got called up only to come down to the Earth and hit a horrible stretch of a few weeks but now he is starting to climb his way back up. Getting his OPS back close to league average after tonight's home run. 

LOL - I was typing almost the identical post. I like to see a rookie be able to come back from his 1st slump, means he was able to make the 1st adjustment he had to. Good omen.

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

don't see any progression on pitch recognition though. When he came up and we saw how fast his bat was I figured that meant he'd be able to wait on pitches enough to be a good hitter, but not so much so far.

Yes he has 2 tools I think.  Juan Encarnacion had three, he had the arm too.  But neither of them had the glove, or the hit/OBP.  I sort of hope the Harris regime prioritizes those 2 over power.

24 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

And his defense is amazing.

43 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I suspect Baddoo will go the way of Victor Reyes.

It depends on his contract status.  He has options remaining, but may start to get too expensive.  I think Edman said he was on the fence for arbitration.   Personally, I hope stays in the organization for another year.  He was rushed to the majors, but he does have some tools  

Edited by Tiger337

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

he's not going to exhaust his rookie status this year; in one month, he will put up about 0.8 WAR, based on average offense, great baserunning and defense; other prospects get more hype, but with his floor, hard to see how he is not a Top 100 Prospect for 2024. And that matters for PPI.

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

It depends on his contract status.  He has options remaining, but may start to get too expensive.  I think Edman said he was on the fence for arbitration.   Personally, I hope stays in the organization for another year.  He was rushed to the majors, but he does have some tools  

Yes I think that it is not impossible for him to improve his OBP, there is some of that in his history.  He'll never have an arm, but his glove doesn't really hurt you that much in LF.  

8 hours ago, SeattleMike said:

Two games over .500 since the break. Two games under since starting the year 2-9. How the heck they managed to be respectable despite the 29th worst offense in MLB is remarkable. 

I read last week that the Tigers starters have the best ERA in baseball since the start of August and considering there last handful of starts I imagine that is still the case. 

Getting 2 months of arguably the best starting pitching in baseball can go a long way. Hell and this was after trading Lorenzen, EROD reverting back to the mean and Manning getting injured. 

Fetter and everybody else that has had a hand in it should be walking around the clubhouse like a bunch of bosses.

Edited by RandyMarsh

6 hours ago, Tigermojo said:

I'm a Baddoo fan but I think we're seeing the problem he is going to face and it's Meadows, who can do everything Baddoo can but better. Add Greene and Carpenter and there is less room on the roster for more left handed outfielders.

I think the lefty/righty bats aren't as much of the issue for Baddoo as it is the defensive chops of the other OFs.  The Tigers could use a defensive upgrade in RF.  I don't think Greene has the arm for it.  He and Carpenter are probably everyday players going into next season.  Ideally they'd be at LF & DH respectively, but obviously Greene's recovery is a variable there.

Meadows' glove gives him CF.  Now, whether or not the bat complies probably isn't an issue right now.  That's a long term issue.

And then there's Vierling who is probably no more than a 4th OF.  But as a RHH with some defensive chops, he does have value for this OF.  Its just not as an everyday RF.

Baddoo just hasn't been able to put the bat together for long enough, and there's no way the arm can play in RF.

Circling back to Greene's recovery, if he has to start the season as the DH, the Tigers probably have Carpenter in RF (not ideal) which opens up LF for Baddoo. 

But all of that just considers players that have an inside track on returning.  Let's see what Harris has up his sleeve for this offseason.