JaMo coming back early.

RedRamage

4 hours ago, MIguy said:

My big concern with Jamo is that he seems like the kind of guy who is going to pout and complain if he isn't getting 10 targets per game.  

What makes you believe that?   Has he ever said anything that would make you belive that?  

Jamo's mistake (or is it Jay-Mo) is that he he's a kid and he's done some immature thnigs.   The gambling thing is a lesson.  Was he in the parking lot in his car?   Was he across the street?  Don't know, but hopefully the team has convinced him to just stay away from it until he retires.        Messing with fireworks?  Dumb.  Dumb kid move.   I was a dumb kid at 20 and I am guessing almost everyone here was. 

Did you catch the interview with Jameson's dad during his football camp?   His father wasn't blaming anyone, he wasn't complaining about the NFL he basically  said  My son is a 1st round pick and people are going to pay attention to him so he he'd better do things right.     He made ZERO excuses for his son.   If that's how he was raised, I am not worried about it right now.    He'll get his plays.   He knows it, we all do.    

Aside from the obvious immaturity he has shown off the field, there have been times on the field where he has been visibly frustrated by not getting the ball thrown his way.  He's a guy that thinks he's open on every play and those are the kind of receivers who are most likely to be problems.  Lets see how it goes, but I won't be the least bit surprised when he's on Twitter complaining about things. 

2 hours ago, MIguy said:

Aside from the obvious immaturity he has shown off the field, there have been times on the field where he has been visibly frustrated by not getting the ball thrown his way.  He's a guy that thinks he's open on every play and those are the kind of receivers who are most likely to be problems.  Lets see how it goes, but I won't be the least bit surprised when he's on Twitter complaining about things. 

just looking frustrated is a far cry from being a problem. 

10 hours ago, MIguy said:

He's barely played, I am making a prediction about future behavior, lets give it a chance to play out. 

that's what I'm saying............let it happen.  We don't know what he is yet.    I just know that when he gets out there, he opens up EVERYTHING for the rest of this offense.    Sam LaPorta was already off to a great start,  Jaymo stretching the field could put him in Top 5 TE territory.  

17 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Here's what I'm saying. I saw him look upset once. This clearly means he will end up like Charles Rogers or Antonio Brown. Just give it time to play out.

If he ended up like Antonio Brown, pre getting concussed, nearly killed on the field, and permanently brain damaged by Vontez Burfict's cheap hit, I think we'd all be elated.

On 9/30/2023 at 6:40 PM, Motor City Sonics said:

What makes you believe that?   Has he ever said anything that would make you belive that?  

FWIW, I have my concerns with Jamo too. (And I'm going with Jamo, it's 33% faster to type than Jay-mo).

There is no smoking gun at all... merely bit and pieces of stories.

• He hardly figured into the games last year he played in. Was that because he was still learning the NFL? Maybe, but shouldn't he have been able to study up and be ready all those weeks he wasn't active? Maybe, but there's nothing like in game experience, right? Or was it just that he and Goff needed to get comfortable with each other?
  • He did some childish things. Yes, he lit off fireworks early in the morning. He was reportedly was handing out huge amounts of cash to people on the street. That's a bit of a sign of an immature person. But guess what: He's a young guy, so it's not too surprising that he's immature. Will he grow up for time? That's the question.
  • He gambled on games will with the team. Yup, and it was wrong. He's responsible for knowing the rules and he didn't know or didn't follow them if he did know. But it's also a very weird rule (imho) so I'm not surprised at all if he didn't know it.
  • He was up and down in Training Camp/Preseason. He looked good and then he didn't look good. Then he had a good day, then there were reports he didn't have a good day. I suspect that this is somewhat typical of many NFL players, especially young players. But we expect a first round pick to be good all the time. Is that realistic though? There was also a semi-cryptic comment from Holmes about Jamo and responsibility.
  • He got injured in preseason... again. Certainly concerning. We wanted to see more of him and see his gel more with the team and Goff. But injuries are part of the game. We have not idea right now if he's a guy who will always battle injuries or if this is just a fluke.

So obviously I'm rebutting myself repeated above, and that's sorta my point. None of these 5 things I listed would be anything that would cause me to worry about a player by itself. None of them are really a big deal.  But when you put all of them together... it just starts to make me feel uneasy. Every one of those things is a question mark. 

Is he injury prone?
Is he immature and unlikely to "grow up"?
Is he unwilling to understand and/or follow the rules?
Is he unwilling to put in the work to get better with the team?

The answer to each of those, right now, is "we don't know, but probably not." However, when you have that many question marks with a player, the possibility of one of them ending up being "yes" increases. That makes me uneasy.

2 hours ago, RedRamage said:

FWIW, I have my concerns with Jamo too. (And I'm going with Jamo, it's 33% faster to type than Jay-mo).

There is no smoking gun at all... merely bit and pieces of stories.

• He hardly figured into the games last year he played in. Was that because he was still learning the NFL? Maybe, but shouldn't he have been able to study up and be ready all those weeks he wasn't active? Maybe, but there's nothing like in game experience, right? Or was it just that he and Goff needed to get comfortable with each other?
  • He did some childish things. Yes, he lit off fireworks early in the morning. He was reportedly was handing out huge amounts of cash to people on the street. That's a bit of a sign of an immature person. But guess what: He's a young guy, so it's not too surprising that he's immature. Will he grow up for time? That's the question.
  • He gambled on games will with the team. Yup, and it was wrong. He's responsible for knowing the rules and he didn't know or didn't follow them if he did know. But it's also a very weird rule (imho) so I'm not surprised at all if he didn't know it.
  • He was up and down in Training Camp/Preseason. He looked good and then he didn't look good. Then he had a good day, then there were reports he didn't have a good day. I suspect that this is somewhat typical of many NFL players, especially young players. But we expect a first round pick to be good all the time. Is that realistic though? There was also a semi-cryptic comment from Holmes about Jamo and responsibility.
  • He got injured in preseason... again. Certainly concerning. We wanted to see more of him and see his gel more with the team and Goff. But injuries are part of the game. We have not idea right now if he's a guy who will always battle injuries or if this is just a fluke.

So obviously I'm rebutting myself repeated above, and that's sorta my point. None of these 5 things I listed would be anything that would cause me to worry about a player by itself. None of them are really a big deal.  But when you put all of them together... it just starts to make me feel uneasy. Every one of those things is a question mark. 

Is he injury prone?
Is he immature and unlikely to "grow up"?
Is he unwilling to understand and/or follow the rules?
Is he unwilling to put in the work to get better with the team?

The answer to each of those, right now, is "we don't know, but probably not." However, when you have that many question marks with a player, the possibility of one of them ending up being "yes" increases. That makes me uneasy.

Or.....  perhaps you're just reading too much into things? 😃

32 minutes ago, number20 said:

Or.....  perhaps you're just reading too much into things? 😃

I don't think so. Note my final line of the way too wordy post: "That makes me uneasy."

I'm uneasy... I'm not thinking Jamo is a flop. I'm not ready to give up on him. I'm not say it was a bad trade/pick/whatever. I'm saying I'm uneasy. I hope that over the next couple of weeks my uneasy put behind me. We'll see.

29 minutes ago, TP_Fan said:

I literally don’t know what people are talking about with the fireworks.  When did that happen? 

It's much ado about nothing really. He's a young man... young men like to blow stuff up. Even old men (like me) like to do that.  But, I'm not a multi-million dollar athlete who needs to perform at his physical peak. If I blow off a couple of fingers... it'll make it a lot harder to type, but that's about it. If Jamo blows off a couple of fingers his career might be over.

So, it's really not a huge deal.. it's nothing illegal, just not something a professional athlete should probably be doing. It's a red flag, but a small one... like maybe a 3 inch by 2 inch red flag.

3 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

I don't think so. Note my final line of the way too wordy post: "That makes me uneasy."

I'm uneasy... I'm not thinking Jamo is a flop. I'm not ready to give up on him. I'm not say it was a bad trade/pick/whatever. I'm saying I'm uneasy. I hope that over the next couple of weeks my uneasy put behind me. We'll see.

We need evidence/larger sample size, and at this point that is clearly lacking.  I get it while also trying to be patient as the coaches tend to move slower with younger players until they build that trust.

37 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

I tend to agree. I haven't been all that impressed with him either. I don't understand why the national media fawns over him so much for someone who's done absolutely nothing so far ("wait until they get Jameson Williams back!", "Jameson Williams will has been reinstated!", etceee, etceee)