JaMo coming back early.

RedRamage

44 minutes ago, TP_Fan said:

I think any NFL on-field evaluation of JaMo is invalid.  Coming off the ACL as quickly as he did didn’t allow for anything except to allow him to get into the rhythm of the NFL schedule.  The eval begins now. 

I think this is right. He was coming off a serious injury onto a team that was in a playoff push. The next two months will tell us more about Jamo than the last 18 months have.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, number20 said:

I tend to agree. I haven't been all that impressed with him either. I don't understand why the national media fawns over him so much for someone who's done absolutely nothing so far ("wait until they get Jameson Williams back!", "Jameson Williams will has been reinstated!", etceee, etceee)

We all see explosive potential. We are hungry to see more already knowing the Lions offense is talented without him. Add to that the instant hot take nature of media...

My also question (assuming no further significant set backs). Can Goff get him the ball downfield. The TD in the MN game he had to wait on, if I recall.

44 minutes ago, KnoxP said:

My also question (assuming no further significant set backs). Can Goff get him the ball downfield. The TD in the MN game he had to wait on, if I recall.

I don't think Goff it's terrible accurate on long throws. He's absolutely had some very nice long throws but most of those have involved busted coverage where the receiver had space to maneuver unabated to make the catch.

That said, many of the Williams highlights from college weren't long bombs but short or medium throws where he caught the ball than out ran defenders for big YAC. 

51 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I think this is right. He was coming off a serious injury onto a team that was in a playoff push. The next two months will tell us more about Jamo than the last 18 months have.

i get that, but he looked like **** in the preseason and he was healthy.

i'm with red.  i'm uneasy about jamo.  the speed is there, but are the hands and the head?  we dont know yet.  it also takes receivers a while to develop sometimes.

i'm all for patience, i'm just not ready to crown him the next jamar chase like some seem to be.

i think what he DOES do is give the lions a deep threat they didnt have before, which should open up the middle of the field even more for the tight ends and st brown.

30 minutes ago, buddha said:

i get that, but he looked like **** in the preseason and he was healthy.

i'm with red.  i'm uneasy about jamo.  the speed is there, but are the hands and the head?  we dont know yet.  it also takes receivers a while to develop sometimes.

i'm all for patience, i'm just not ready to crown him the next jamar chase like some seem to be.

i think what he DOES do is give the lions a deep threat they didnt have before, which should open up the middle of the field even more for the tight ends and st brown.

I don’t think he looked like ****. He had a nice catch in the corner of the end zone for a two-point conversion and a really bad drop that should have been six. There were up and down reports from camp of him having bad days preceded by really good days. Consistent with him figuring it out with bumps in the road.

That said, I agree. I don’t need him to be JaMarr Chase and I don’t think those are even fair expectations. I just want him to contribute. At the end of the day, I don’t care if you have 53 first-round picks or 53 undrafted free agents. Just contribute and win.

In JaMo’s case, contributing might be being the Mike Williams (LAC) for the Lions offense. As much of a deep threat as a deep weapon. If he only gets two targets in a game but his deep routes are opening up ASB and LaPorta for huge games, that’s great.

40 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

I don't think Goff it's terrible accurate on long throws. He's absolutely had some very nice long throws but most of those have involved busted coverage where the receiver had space to maneuver unabated to make the catch.

That said, many of the Williams highlights from college weren't long bombs but short or medium throws where he caught the ball than out ran defenders for big YAC. 

Thanks for that perspective. I was thinking more along the lines of airing it out/bombs..."go deep" like we used to say as kids.  But that's not always necessary if the throw is accurate/on time.

Listening to Campbell press conference (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTvVF0Ivg-U) and he was asked first about Jamo and it wasn't a ringing endorsement.

"We just gotta see where he's at with Football. This will be his first week back and uh, so we'll take it every day *shrug*. See how he does."

Now what does that mean? Well, like with just about everything else you could read multiple ways: It could be a case of not expecting anything substantial from Jamo anymore so it's like... "meh... we're getting back a 2nd string player... it's nice, but no big deal."

Or it could be a case of "We all thought we had a few more weeks to flesh out the plan for Jamo coming back and we're caught a little unprepared right now." Still, even if this is the case I'm a little surprised there is more excitement from Campbell about him coming back.

1 minute ago, RedRamage said:

Listening to Campbell press conference (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTvVF0Ivg-U) and he was asked first about Jamo and it wasn't a ringing endorsement.

"We just gotta see where he's at with Football. This will be his first week back and uh, so we'll take it every day *shrug*. See how he does."

Now what does that mean? Well, like with just about everything else you could read multiple ways: It could be a case of not expecting anything substantial from Jamo anymore so it's like... "meh... we're getting back a 2nd string player... it's nice, but no big deal."

Or it could be a case of "We all thought we had a few more weeks to flesh out the plan for Jamo coming back and we're caught a little unprepared right now." Still, even if this is the case I'm a little surprised there is more excitement from Campbell about him coming back.

I'd say there's truth to that as it is stated.  Like you I also imagine he is tempering expectations/pressure...being careful to not say too much...motivating Jamo...lot's going on there beyond the simple words.

1 hour ago, KnoxP said:

That might just be JaMo's speed. Goff threw it to a spot, and JaMo likely got there faster than Goff thought he would. Not the first time we've seen him outrun Goff's arm. He had a drop at one point (can't remember when) where the ball was thrown behind him... again, I think he just got to a spot quicker than other Lions receivers would've. The dude is fast, like insane Randy Moss fast. He and Goff need to get their timing down (hopefully they're putting in the work)

25 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I don’t think he looked like ****. He had a nice catch in the corner of the end zone for a two-point conversion and a really bad drop that should have been six. There were up and down reports from camp of him having bad days preceded by really good days. Consistent with him figuring it out with bumps in the road.

That said, I agree. I don’t need him to be JaMarr Chase and I don’t think those are even fair expectations. I just want him to contribute. At the end of the day, I don’t care if you have 53 first-round picks or 53 undrafted free agents. Just contribute and win.

In JaMo’s case, contributing might be being the Mike Williams (LAC) for the Lions offense. As much of a deep threat as a deep weapon. If he only gets two targets in a game but his deep routes are opening up ASB and LaPorta for huge games, that’s great.

he had two catches on seven targets and dropped an easy touchdown.  that's not impressive.

33 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

this is the tone they've taken on jamo for two years.  its not new.

where there is this much smoke there is usually fire.  quite frankly, i still say bet on the talent and jamo has speed til sunday.  

maybe they're challenging him?  it sure does seem like they have some issues with his behavior.