2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

3 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I’m not sure how much of a mystery it is—he’s declining offensively and has an aggressive agent who probably set his expectations too high.

Therein lies the mystery. 

Boras is setting a precedent that he is open to low-year/high-AAV contracts with opt-outs every year. Expect to see the same thing for Blake Snell, at the very least. I wouldn't bet on the other two big ones settling for the same.

4 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

I’m not sure how much of a mystery it is—he’s declining offensively and has an aggressive agent who probably set his expectations too high.

Is he declining or was he unlucky last year? His hard hit% and exit velocity were still elite.  Given his age, he may well be on the decline, but that might not be a safe assumption.  

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/matt-chapman-656305?stats=statcast-r-hitting-mlb

3 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Is he declining or was he unlucky last year? His hard hit% and exit velocity were still elite.  Given his age, he may well be on the decline, but that might not be a safe assumption.  

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/matt-chapman-656305?stats=statcast-r-hitting-mlb

Good question.  That’s why I’d have been fine with a shorter term higher per season deal.  Heck, give him the chance to opt out after one season if he wanted it.

14 hours ago, casimir said:

Good question.  That’s why I’d have been fine with a shorter term higher per season deal.  Heck, give him the chance to opt out after one season if he wanted it.

If Chapman were fine with a shorter term higher per season deal, he’d of been signed in December.

18 hours ago, casimir said:

I wouldn't want to give up the draft pick for a one year rental at this stage for the Tigers. Sure, draft picks are lottery tickets, but that makes more sense at this point.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, Longgone said:

I wouldn't want to give up the draft pick for a one year rental at this stage for the Tigers. Sure, draft picks are lottery tickets, but that makes more sense at this point.

That's a good point.  I keep forgetting about the draft pick here.

On 2/27/2024 at 10:46 AM, casimir said:

That's a good point.  I keep forgetting about the draft pick here.

Also $500,000 in international cap space. You may scoff at that, but look at the prospect the Tigers just got from the Padres for that amount of space (they forfeited double that to sign Bogaerts last year and needed to trade away prospects to be able to sign the guys they had verbals with). With the Tigers apparently playing in the top of the market with their rumored agreement, it is possible that $500K could loom large.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Also $500,000 in international cap space. You may scoff at that, but look at the prospect the Tigers just got from the Padres for that amount of space (they forfeited double that to sign Bogaerts last year and needed to trade away prospects to be able to sign the guys they had verbals with). With the Tigers apparently playing in the top of the market with their rumored agreement, it is possible that $500K could loom large.

Really?  I didn't realize international cap space was part of the equation as well.

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

Man, neither of these guys are good enough to even get work in Asia. 

Progress...and our former season homer champ Brandon Dixon retired. Plus the man who found them all is still out of baseball ?

On 2/29/2024 at 9:18 AM, casimir said:

Really?  I didn't realize international cap space was part of the equation as well.

Ah, I was wrong... Just double checked the CBA. The Tigers, assuming they remain a revenue sharing payee, would not lose international cap space.

22 hours ago, chasfh said:

Man, neither of these guys are good enough to even get work in Asia. 

Is there a toro beyond the outfield wall that a hitter can try to smash with a home run ball for some carne asada?

Oh. M'God.

https://www.mlb.com/tigers/news/detroit-tigers-top-30-prospects-list-2024-preseason

The Tigers embarked on an organizational shift seven years ago when then-general manager Al Avila declared that after years of free-agent signings, the club would build from within its farm system. Scott Harris echoed that philosophy when Detroit hired him as president of baseball operations two years ago.

yougottabefukkinkiddingme.jpg.db12d8b97a4117e32eb1792b6de05489.jpg

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

Oh. M'God.

https://www.mlb.com/tigers/news/detroit-tigers-top-30-prospects-list-2024-preseason

The Tigers embarked on an organizational shift seven years ago when then-general manager Al Avila declared that after years of free-agent signings, the club would build from within its farm system. Scott Harris echoed that philosophy when Detroit hired him as president of baseball operations two years ago.

yougottabefukkinkiddingme.jpg.db12d8b97a4117e32eb1792b6de05489.jpg

The team did try to build from within its farm system rather than free agent signings under Avila.  It was not executed very well, although he did sign a good number of players who are still considered part of their future.

12 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

The team did try to build from within its farm system rather than free agent signings under Avila.  It was not executed very well, although he did sign a good number of players who are still considered part of their future.

And he also sign an even better number of complete busts that he couldn't do anything with and not even the Harris regime could save.

In any event, the funny part, probably only to me, is how the beginning of the article reads as though Al Avila were the architect of some grand and visionary strategy—which the vast majority of clubs were already doing—and that Scott Harris is merely carrying out his vision.

So I'm cleaning out my inbox and I cane across a Jason beck email newsletter, and here's how it starts out:

LAKELAND, Fla. -- The Tigers’ clubhouse always has at least one super utility player who brings a bunch of gloves for all the various positions he could play. Don Kelly had nearly a dozen at one point, almost too many to fit in his cramped locker in the old clubhouse. Niko Goodrum had 10 with him in 2019.

By contrast, Ryan Kreidler could be considered a minimalist. He brought five gloves to this year’s Spring Training, where he has worked everywhere from shortstop to third to the outfield. He doesn’t need to hoard shortstop gloves because his current game glove has lasted a few years. 

Honestly, I'd never heard of anything like this before. I know multi-positional players would bring multiple gloves, but nearly a dozen like Donnie baseball? Or ten for Niko Goodrum? This obviously means some guys bring more than one glove for at least one of the positions they play. What would a guy need with three shortstop gloves, for example? How would they differ and under what circumstances would the player switch between them? Does anybody have a feel for that? Because I'm stumped.

Its about ready and broken in backups that the player is comfortable with in the event a glove breaks or is lost, not anything to do with different gloves for different uses at the same position. They have backups for the positions they play regularly....likely more quantity of backups for the positions they play most frequently.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, microline133 said:

Its about ready and broken in backups that the player is comfortable with in the event a glove breaks or is lost, not anything to do with different gloves for different uses at the same position. They have backups for the positions they play regularly....likely more quantity of backups for the positions they play most frequently.

Yup. It was probably years ago - Al and George in the booth maybe - talking about always having 3 gloves - a new one worn in practice to get it broken in, an already broken in spare, and your game glove.  So if you are playing IF/OF/1B with any frequency you're immediately at 9. 

Wasn't Kelley also an emergency catcher? That would have been another one for him.....

Edited by gehringer_2

15 hours ago, microline133 said:

Do you know whether some guys regularly switch back and forth between gloves to keep them broken in, or is it usually only use one and the other is a backup?

20 hours ago, chasfh said:

So I'm cleaning out my inbox and I cane across a Jason beck email newsletter, and here's how it starts out:

LAKELAND, Fla. -- The Tigers’ clubhouse always has at least one super utility player who brings a bunch of gloves for all the various positions he could play. Don Kelly had nearly a dozen at one point, almost too many to fit in his cramped locker in the old clubhouse. Niko Goodrum had 10 with him in 2019.

By contrast, Ryan Kreidler could be considered a minimalist. He brought five gloves to this year’s Spring Training, where he has worked everywhere from shortstop to third to the outfield. He doesn’t need to hoard shortstop gloves because his current game glove has lasted a few years. 

Honestly, I'd never heard of anything like this before. I know multi-positional players would bring multiple gloves, but nearly a dozen like Donnie baseball? Or ten for Niko Goodrum? This obviously means some guys bring more than one glove for at least one of the positions they play. What would a guy need with three shortstop gloves, for example? How would they differ and under what circumstances would the player switch between them? Does anybody have a feel for that? Because I'm stumped.

Don Kelly had a dozen gloves?  I ain't gonna question him.

If Mozart had a dozen wands, would you question it?

If Picasso had a dozen paint brushes, would you question it?