2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

5 hours ago, oblong said:

Who should they have signed?

I wanted Imanaga.  That’s probably the only big ticket item I really wanted.

I don’t think Canha was on a radar, but I like the acquisition.

I had hoped Chapman would last late (which he has) and sign for a short term deal (which he might).  I knew Urshela was available and didn’t really care much for him. But $1.5M for one year?  Sure, why not.  The risk/reward between he and Chapman (unless he signs for some absurdly team friendly deal) based on the contracts won’t compare.

3 minutes ago, casimir said:

I wanted Imanaga.  That’s probably the only big ticket item I really wanted.

I don’t think Canha was on a radar, but I like the acquisition.

I had hoped Chapman would last late (which he has) and sign for a short term deal (which he might).  I knew Urshela was available and didn’t really care much for him. But $1.5M for one year?  Sure, why not.  The risk/reward between he and Chapman (unless he signs for some absurdly team friendly deal) based on the contracts won’t compare.

Also, if Jung tears it up and warrants a call up, it’s much easier to bench/trade Urshela vs Chapman.

Edited by Tenacious D

Just now, Tenacious D said:

Also, if Jung tears it up and warrants a call up, it’s much easier to bench it trade Urshela vs Chapman.

Sure, but that’s probably a big if.  I don’t think Jung will be up this season, but that’s just me.

2 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

The Tigers had a very good record within our division. It was our record against the East

A good part of that was that the teams in the East were better than our divisional rivals, so the differential in results was just another marker for the team's talent level.

Just now, casimir said:

Sure, but that’s probably a big if.  I don’t think Jung will be up this season, but that’s just me.

Respectfully disagree.  Zach Neto was called up last season.  Of course, if the Tigers play it conservative, that could happen.  

11 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Respectfully disagree.  Zach Neto was called up last season.  Of course, if the Tigers play it conservative, that could happen.  

Respectfully, the Angels are their own breed when calling up their prospects. They brought up Nolan Schanuel like a month after drafting him last year and it's not like 2022 draftees are being called up in droves already. That being said I would be shocked if Jung didn't get a September call-up at the very least this year if he is tearing it up in AAA.

I see no reason why Jung wouldn't get called up some point this season if he performs well in the minors and the guys on the big league team don't or get injured. I mean he's 23 and will be 2 years removed from getting drafted so from that perspective it's not that out of line. 

16 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I see no reason why Jung wouldn't get called up some point this season if he performs well in the minors and the guys on the big league team don't or get injured. I mean he's 23 and will be 2 years removed from getting drafted so from that perspective it's not that out of line. 

Still, MLB pitching is big step up from AA - he hasn't done much to prove his odds of hitting adequately in the majors are very high yet. Keith has done a lot more and he's not a certainty by any means either.

We need these guys to make it if the Tigers are going to be good, but sadly need is not enough to make it happen.

Edited by gehringer_2

On 2/22/2024 at 3:21 PM, SoCalTiger said:

Another solid and opportunistic move by Harris. Very happy he is concerned about the defense. Gio is a solid defender and Verling can move the f back to the outfield where he excels. Double win. JHM will open in AAA to focus on defense as well and Jung will play third in AAA all season. McStinky on the bubble. 

Not super likely, but not zero chance: if Jung plays at an MVP level at Toledo from the jump, we can bring him up and starting sitting Gio down, and if it comes to it, release Gio and eat the pittance of remaining money.

On 2/22/2024 at 3:56 PM, Tiger337 said:

I was hoping they would make a serious run at Yamamoto.  I am not sure if they did or not, but he was really expensive for an unknown.  I hope they will have a bigger payroll next year, but I am fine with where they are at right now.  

It was almost certainly Dodgers or bust for Yamamoto.

9 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Anyone else think that one of the secondary reasons for the Gio signing is his relationship to Baez and lack of latin players on the team ? Baez is a big $ investment and keeping him in good spirits makes sense.

Not a bad idea. Considering that the cost of Urshela is only a fraction of the investment in Baez they need to get a better return on, it's a reasonable strategy. The Tigers have gone from a team where most of the onfield chatter was in Spanish a few seasons ago to pretty much the opposite. 

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Not a bad idea. Considering that the cost of Urshela is only a fraction of the investment in Baez they need to get a better return on, it's a reasonable strategy. The Tigers have gone from a team where most of the onfield chatter was in Spanish a few seasons ago to pretty much the opposite. 

Yes, I have noticed they have gone the scrappy white guy route.  I am not sure whether this is a league wide trend.  It is possible that the Latin talent supply is waning a bit.  

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

Yes, I have noticed they have gone the scrappy white guy route.  I am not sure whether this is a league wide trend.  It is possible that the Latin talent supply is waning a bit.  

wonder if the political issues in Venezeula might be a factor 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Bellinger gets 3/80 from the Cubs, 30, 30 and 20. Can opt out after both years. Total guarantee is super low and considering his past injuries seems to be what the market would bear

The Chapman mystery should unfold in the near future.